THR Scared of getting a hip replacement

Fitness123

Country
United States United States
Hello, I am new here. I am 44 and need a right hip replacement. I was a marathon runner for 20 years as well as a fitness instructor. All I did was work out all day. I unfortunately also had an eating disorder which left me skipping periods and breaking my body down even more. I am scheduled for my Right hip to done on. August 14th. I have caused myself so much anxiety to the point that I hand lost 10lbs which puts me at 100lbs. I am so scared. I need some help to get through this.

Schaargi

Country
Hi there,

I'm sorry you are so anxious! I have a question.

Can you pinpoint what you are most worried about?

I'm not a medical professional, but I can listen.

Pink Peony

Country
Hello Fitness123 and welcome to this community. The mods will provide you a lot of great links, but I just wanted to share my personal experience.

I put off my hip surgery for almost a year, because I was searching for an alternative treatment. When I found this forum, I read voraciously (especially the recovery stories), and realized that moving forward was the right decision for me. I am on Day 20 in my recovery, and thus far, it has been very manageable. My pain level was very low after surgery (like maybe a 2/10) and I stayed on top of taking my pain medication as prescribed. I would encourage you to read about people's recoveries.

I just returned from a great 20 minute walk, no limping, and only using a cane. This is the best I have felt in almost 2 years.

Mersada

Country
If you notice my date of when I joined, I too have been putting this off a couple of years. My world has grown much smaller, and I realize, I have to do something soon. I have my 6th scheduled consultation August 24th where I hope this is the final OS and he is the one. I have been reading on the forums for quite some time. Some stories are comforting and some are scary. The comforting ones are short because I guess, once all is done, they get on with their lives.

Find the best os you can find and go for it. Don't be a chicken like me...lol. I also am trying to accumulate more time at work so I can take off the reccomended 8 to 12 weeks. I have almost 9 weeks saved up.

This is a great forum to learn from and seek advise.

Do you have an orthopedic surgeon already...I imagine you do if you have a date already.

Good luck and I am looking forward to reading about your journey.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Fitness123 - and :welome:

Almost everyone feels anxious before their surgery, so we understand how you feel.
You've come to a point where your hip is causing you so much of a problem that you need to get it fixed.

Be assured that once you get to the hospital everything will fall into place. The staff will look after you and you will end up with a hip that is sore at first, but will be feeling just a little bit better every day.

You can post any questions or worries that you have here and we'll do our best to answer them. We'll be here, to help you through this. :friends:

I've added your name to the August Hot Shots surgery thread, here:
August Hot Shots 2020
Have a look and you will see who else is having a hip replaced around the same time as you are. These people will be your surgery buddies.

Here is some information to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
This is the approach to recovery that we recommend - lots of helpful articles:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

catlover55

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello fitness123 I am 5 months into recovery having had total right hip replacement on 20th of February and can honestly state that this is the best decision I have ever made. I can relate to the anxiety you are experiencing at this time as I felt exactly the same. The pain was so severe from my diseased hip that it was impacting on my quality of life and having always being a very outdoor, active person I found this very hard to deal with and had begun to realise that having the op was my only option to getting my life back. What also encouraged me to have the op was the fact that I knew so many people from the leisure centre I am a member of who had already had hip replacement and I had seen first hand how their lives had been transformed following the op. To me this was amazing and spurred me on.I am now getting back to my active life,walking without pain and hope to resume swimming once the covid has settled down and pool re opens. I am so glad that you have found bonesmart, as the folks on here are amazing. So helpful , sharing their journeys and offering advice. I found this forum when I was 9 weeks post op and it was and still is a great comfort to me. I look forward to following your journey and wish you all the very best and please try not to get too anxious. Good things lie ahead for you and there are always good people here day or night to help support you.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Fitness123 Welcome to BoneSmart! Please do come back and talk about what is most worrying for you. We have all been in the same, scared space and totally understand how overwhelming it feels.

The good news is once you get that hip replaced all the bone on bone pain will be gone. And you will get back to the activities you love.

OP
OP
Fitness123

Fitness123

Country
Thank you so much for all your encouragement. I have had so much pain in my pelvic floor. Burning. I went to a urogynecologist. He said that there was no movement in my pelvis when he did an exam. Muscles all tense. Feels like I have a UTI all the time. He said the hip probably had caused the the muscles to stress out. I lost 10 lbs and now my periods stopped. Scared that I will not heal well if all this is going on. At the same time I cannot deal with this pain. I feel like 44 is so young. Scared of infection and what happens if you get one. Everyday I wake up and want to throw up. Need you all

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Fitness123 So sorry you are suffering. Yes, I imagine all your stress is having a big impact on lots of areas.

Let's look at the concerns you have:
I lost 10 lbs and now my periods stopped. Scared that I will not heal well if all this is going on.
Well it is better to go into major surgery healthy. But it's tough as nerves do get the better of us. When I was waiting for my spinal surgery (years ago) I was working a hospital. I met with the head of the operating room area to try and calm down (didn't work BTW). Her biggest tip was start drinking one of those probiotic yogurt drinks every day. Apparently they help strengthen the immune system. Anyway, it worked for me and I still have one per day.

Can I also suggest you spend some time in the nutritional area of our Library? Lots of good information on foods and supplements and how our bodies benefit from them.
At the same time I cannot deal with this pain. I feel like 44 is so young.
Actually 44 isn't that young for THR. We have teenagers on this board who have gone through this. We are living more active lives these days. Joints wear out. But technology is on our side. This surgery will change your life.
Scared of infection and what happens if you get one.
Infections do happen but the are rare. If you are concerned there are stories of our members' journeys through infection remember - these members are here for our support; probably longer than most members. And for every member who does get an infection there are literally thousands who leave us within weeks of their surgery and get back to active living.

Spend some time reading our member's recovery threads. Chat with them and ask any question you might have here as well. We are here for you!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Need you all
And we’ll be here for you, that is a promise! Sending a warm hug your way before I go any further. :console2:

You’ve been through a lot and experiencing constant pain is anxiety producing and physically draining. You mentioned that you’re afraid you will not heal well. I am going to come at it from the approach of health and wellness. Consider doing all you can right now through healthy eating and possibly even supplements to ramp up your immune system so you go into surgery strong.

As, Jaycey, mentioned, infections are rare so try your hardest to dismiss those thoughts as soon as they crop up. Your surgeon, his care team and each medical professional you come in contact with will take every precaution in regard to infection prevention. Trust that and move forward with the goal of a brighter future on the horizon. None of us really want to lose our natural hip, but there comes a time when it’s no longer serving us well. You can let doubts rule while suffering discomfort, or commit to a procedure that has proved to give millions a better quality of life.

Try your hardest to re-direct negative energy, such as ruminating over adverse reactions that are unlikely to occur, to doing all you can to prepare your body and mind to be in the best condition possible for a procedure that has excellent outcomes based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before, making it a possibility you’ll have your implant for life.

Please stop back as often, there is always someone around to offer support and encouragement if you’re in need.

Wishing you comfort and peace of mind.

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Well, sorry to hear of the serious worrying that has come over you.

I suggest you go visit some kind of provider about your eating disorder issue. I'm treated for depression and I'm also someone vulnerable to all kinds of addictions ... Depression and addiction run in my family.

I'm not sure who you worked with on your eating issue? Is there a provider you can schedule an urgent appointment with? I say address that issue right now ... get all the medical and psychological support you can ... and more! ... and see if that helps with your eating and weight and eases your anxiety about the surgery. You have a month, so there is time to get treatment and supports in place.

You definitely want to have a plan in place before the surgery ... because recovery can be extremely frustrating for some people. And you want to come out of the surgery focusing on your healing hip and not have to start up attention to your eating issues.

So is there a provider you can call and schedule an urgent appointment with? I had a therapist at the time of my surgery (we actually continued only via telemedicine for the immediate weeks after my surgery) ... and I also met with my advanced psychiatric nurse practitioner and basically warned her that I would call if I felt I needed an adjustment in my meds.

You can keep the surgery date for now ... but who can you call to get some help with for the eating and anxiety-terror you're experiencing?

OP
OP
Fitness123

Fitness123

Country
Hi everyone,
Are these normal symptoms to have with hip osteoarthritis. My entire groin is always on fire. Like a pelvic spasm. As my Urogyno said the pelvic muscles are all tensed up. I start pelvic floor therapy on this week. Does this sound like my hip is partially responsible?

Pumpkln

Country
@Fitness123 ,
Does this sound like my hip is partially responsible?
Be sure to ask the PT to do a thorough examination of your hip, they may be able to help figure out what is happening.

I have a torn hip labrum and mild arthritis in my right hip, my symptoms are similar to yours, though milder. Should they worsen I will opt for a THR.

Are theses symptoms on the same side as your upcoming THR? If so, those symptoms are due to the arthritis you have in your hip.

OP
OP
Fitness123

Fitness123

Country
They are on the same side. When I sit they seem centralized to the right and middle of pelvis. My Xrays show severe degeneration and many bone spurs and osteocytes that formed. I have been to 4 different surgeons. They all said that it is too far gone for arthroscopic procedures. The surgeon I chose has done quite a few patients my age. All successful reviews and he and his teAm have really gone above and beyond to try and make me feel at ease with all this. My rheumatologist feels if I let this go my bones will be at risk. I already have osteopenia from my history of anorexia.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@Fitness123 welcome! I'm glad you saw the urogyn! Did he offer any helpful suggestions? Pelvic pain is debilitating, speaking from long experience. And that brings me to terror of surgery! I had major gyn surgery at 28 or 29, and the only thing that alleviated my terror was A) sticking my head in the sand for as long as possible before it, and B) my work, which involves total and complete concentration on the task at hand (orchestral performing). My husband had to tell me a story to help me get to sleep the night before.

What are you specifically afraid of? We're here to listen and support!

True story: my asthma/allergy doctor's wife had bilateral hips at around 40, and only then could she run! She's 5'0" and weighed about 95 lbs, and turned into a terrific runner.

OP
OP
Fitness123

Fitness123

Country
Hello zauberflote
He said my pelvic floor has no movement. Muscles are all tensed up. Causing pain all the time. He is having me go to a pelvic floor therapist this week. Plan on going up until surgery and then after recovery once I am cleared to go back to therapy. My husband plays professionally in a symphony

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I had much groin pain with both of my hips but not central pelvic region. It is highly likely that it is from your hip but you will know shortly after you do your pelvic floor therapy. The good news for me was that once my hip was replaced the groin pain went away. The groin pain has not returned for me but I was very slow and steady with my recovery and tried not to push and listen to the hip as I wanted good results.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
My Xrays show severe degeneration and many bone spurs and osteocytes that formed.
This will definitely cause the symptoms you are experiencing. Waiting for surgery is actually the worst part of this process. Sounds like you have the right surgeon and proceeding is the right option.

OP
OP
Fitness123

Fitness123

Country
Do you think with all the running over the years and over exercising on top of having an arthritic hip that I could have weakened my pelvic floor?

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mmpc123
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom