Revision TKR Scared about surgery

Not that I am excited about the upcoming surgery but as it stands not counting surgery date 41 days to go.

Things while still 40 days away are starting to get real!! Just rcv'd call my pre-op scheduled for Dec.11th and on the 29th get tested for Covid. Was also told about post-op following surgery. What was at least somewhat entertaining when she was trying to explain I was able to finish what she was going to tell me pertaining to pre-op and post-op.
The bad part unlike those that have never been thru this I know what to expect and how its going to feel etc. Really wish I didn't because one I wake up in recovery room knee is not going to feel good for quite sometime. YUCK!!

@pumpkin How do I put this the right way w/o sounding like a nut? Not that pain is normal but is it normal for the knee pain to get worse as times goes by?? In my case whether I do too much or nothing at all or even limit activity it either hurts too much or way too much. Pretty much hesitant of doing any walk for fear of how its going to hurt after ( well in my situation before during and after ). Not that 39 days is long but the way the knee feels its dragging.

Getting closer to surgery just over a month to go!! Whether this makes sense or not the pain in the knee is getting more pronounced even with limiting activity the pain is always there. Its at the point do nothing it hurts take a short 15 minute walk and nothing else it hurts doing mild strengthening exercises at PT hurts. No I am not walking and doing PT same day learned my lesson after too many times. Putting any sort of pressure on the swollen side causes pain so now even a soft pillow or cushion does not help. In addition I am also getting nerve spasms not all the time they are fun as well.
It may seem like a dumb question but prior issues pain may have been bad prior to surgery but this seems like a first where the pain is increasing any ideas??
On a positive note I picked up a recliner today!! Planning on putting it too good use once I get home from hospital.

You have been through a lot and we are all pulling for you. (My first TKR was 3 months ago and the other knee will be done 12/2/20). I bought a leg rest from Lounge Doctor and love it; although don't bother with the extra wide version.

If all goes well ( considering Covid ) pre-op Dec. 11th, Dec.29th Covid test ( I asked why so close to surgery and was told less of a chance getting it in 2 days vs a week or so back ) I have my post-op appts. scheduled. Was thinking I may have fend for myself the first couple weeks but one of my neighbors said she would help. With all of that taken care of now all I need to do is wait for surgery date.

With throwing pain with a pain level of "7".
Call your surgeons office, they will have an on call surgeon to take your call, let them advise you.
If you have in addition to pain, redness, swelling, and warmth or a temperature, go to the ER and tell them you have a history of infection in your knee. That should move you up in the triage.

If your health insurance has a nursing service you can call, give them a call for guidance.

@Celle @Pumpkln
If I had multiple symptoms it would be a cause for alarm but on a daily basis I have constant swelling and increased warmth in bad knee. Yes the knee is a darker color then the right but based on last time I had an infection I had a high fever within a matter of a weekend this has been getting steadily more miserable over the past few weeks and as far as redness goes it was much more pronounced then as opposed to now.
Left message on patient portal also been trying to call but abnormal hold times, my gut feeling its not an infection ( could be wrong just do not have typical signs of infection ). Finally was able to get message for on call Dr. to call me back. Sorry this whole thing is driving me nuts.

I think you've done everything you need to do.

The days are ticking past - only a few more to go and you'll be into the same month as your surgery.

hang in there.jpg
Hang in there!

Glad you have a call into the on call MD, they will be able to guide you.
Like Celle says hang in there, every day is closer to your surgery.

@Celle @Pumpkln
Spoke to on call Dr. considering surgery is not that far away there really is not anything he can do and truthfully I was expecting that. While its not advised to take pain meds prior to surgery in my case if I need to take 2 when the pain gets a little much its okay. As Celle wrote " Hang in There " or another way is Grin and Bear it. One things is for sure its going to be a long month.

@Celle @Pumpkln
Yesterday was better not great. While it still hurts no pain pill!! As much as I enjoy walking right now I need to give knee a break other wise well as you know its not fun.

Are you icing and elevating? That will help ease any pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jaycey
At this point I am open to any and all ideas!! Currently when pain gets above what I consider normal I apply Diclofenac lotion put my ice pack on elevate. I leave the gel pack on approx. 30 minutes or until its thawed. If the pain is real bad in addition to the above will take one 5mg Oxycodone and sometimes depending on how bad it hurts I will take two.
This is how I rate pain going by the 1 to 10 scale. If your at a 10 that means life threatening extreme trauma. 9 almost as bad but can be saved. 8 waking up from surgery and meds wearing off. 7 the highest I will ever rate pain while at home. 6 not fun but considering all somewhat tolerable. 5 or below don't I wish!!
It seems the closer I get to surgery date 12-31 my pain level goes up. Going by my pain scale my average is a 6 had a few 7's really wish I was at a 5 or below.

I leave the gel pack on approx. 30 minutes
Ice for 45-60 minutes per session. If your ice packs are not staying cold enough, get more so that you can continually rotate them.

You might need to double up on the Oxy for awhile. I assume your surgeon is happy with you taking medication when you need it. Remember, all this is temporary.

I have several only mentioned 30 minutes since some nurses, therapists do not like it when you leave it on for extended periods of time. The majority of the time when I use the gel pack I leave it on while watching a movie and take it off when the gel pack is no longer cold. Like you wrote 45-60 minutes

20-30 minutes is the recommended time if you are icing to treat an injury. It is possible nursing staff are more used to treating injuries. Just keep doing what you are doing. One month to go!

One month is not long except dealing with my knee its going to drag. It may be different if I was able to do more but as I have proven to myself way too many times going for walks, sitting for long periods of time, and anything involved with bending or using the knee is a invitation for misery.

As much as I enjoy walking right now I need to give knee a break other wise well as you know its not fun.
Frustrating, but for the next 30 days cutting back your walking and other activities that you know cause those 7+ pain levels are best avoided.
Letting your irritated soft tissues settle down before your surgery may be better preparation than very angry tissues for your surgery.
Simply put: You want to avoid misery between now and then.

Last edited by a moderator:
No question hitting a 7 not good it makes for a real crummy day. As it stands now a good day for me is a 5.5 to a 6 can only imagine what a 2 or 3 feels like.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads