Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

TKR SBToothfairy's Recovery Thread

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hello @SBToothfairy
With any luck you continue to recover from the overactivity of Sunday and are having a good week so far. Let us know how your Zoom appointment with your surgeon goes next week if we don’t hear from you before then. :)
A peaceful evening to you.

OP
OP
S

SBToothfairy

Country
I am trying to look ahead and not look back. I regret the many hours that I was on the cpm machine prescribed by my surgeon. I had excessive swelling early! I believe that the use of that machine was way too aggressive for me! But stupid Ms. Rule Follower wanted to get the best possible results , so she mindlessly listened & followed the 6 hour daily use recommendation. I did cut back because of my severe swelling.
I continue to have the very tight pain across the front of my patella! It’s so much pressure and pain. Makes me walk peg leg gait therefore I still need to use a cane 9 weeks postop!! I tried doing 10 mins on my exercise bike yesterday. Seems like my knees were more painful today. I think the seat should be adjusted to lessen the bend of my knee. Is the exercise bike suggested for that really tight band feeling?? I am afraid to cause harm. Should I use it daily.? Few times a week.?The weather here in Ct hasn’t really been good for outdoor walking. Very high winds & cold temps!
I have my virtual 9 week postop apPT next Weds with my PA and surgeon. I am not in a good place at all. They won’t to be able to even see my knee. How are diagnosing tests performed on tkr? I know MRI’s can’t be done. Someone mentioned a CT scan with dye. Does anyone have information on it??
My quality of life is so bad compared to my before surgery life. It is so frightening to not know what my future holds for this knee.I have read that doctors like to wait a year before any testing or re-evaluation of a previously placed tkr!!! A year is in humane for medical staff to put patients off until it magically becomes a year! Having to stay in your home and unable to go back to your normal life, should matter a lot more than the surgeons egos! I am sure with time, somethings can get better. It’s Crabby Kathy, again

I wrote the above a couple days ago. I am definitely a thrill kill! Yesterday was a bad day. You start to question everything you do or don’t do. Friday I spent 10 mins on the exercise bike and yesterday my knee was so painful with that very tight band feeling. So yesterday I did very little, except light household tasks. Today it seemed a bit better. I took a slow walk with my cane for about 20 mins. By the end, that very tight band pain was back. Should I ignore it and keep going? Stay off the exercise bike?
I am overwhelmed and depressed, no secret there

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
:flwrysmile: Im flabbergasted that your surgeon suggested 6 hour daily use of the cpm machine, I used one at the PT facility for a maximum of 30 minutes twice weekly, no wonder your poor knee suffered and swelled- so glad you cut back.
The tight band feeling will only go away once all swelling has gone, mine only went in my 5th month and I hardly did any exercises other than walking and ADL ( daily living activities) plus a few gentle leg swings, heel slides and light exercises recommended by BoneSmart.
Personally if I were you I would stay away from anything that gives you pain the tight band feeling is a warning sign that you are doing far too much xx
I know it's hard but try to be positive seriously it will get better, I have no swelling and no tight band feeling now at all xxx

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I used my cane for months, so don’t worry about needing yours at 9 weeks.

This is a long recovery, much more than we expected, and it’s so very easy to get discouraged. Please try to hold on to the knowledge that things will improve. 9 weeks is still very early in this 52 week recovery. Where you are now is not where you will end up.

You can ride the bike if you want to, but it’s not a must. Not all of us have one and our ROM comes along fine in the end. I would take a break from it for a while, and if/when you start back, try 5 minutes and then very gradually add more minutes.

One of the reasons other doctors, like for second opinions, like to wait a year is because many of our issues do resolve within that time.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
But stupid Ms. Rule Follower wanted to get the best possible results , so she mindlessly listened & followed the 6 hour daily use recommendation.
Hello @SBToothfairy I hope you’re having a nice Sunday. :)
Please forgive yourself, try to let it go and move forward doing the opposite of what you regret and I’m sure you’ll make progress.

The great majority of us are rule followers and assume our surgeon or PT know best, it’s understandable to take their advice over that of members of an online forum. However, many surgeons, PA’s and PT’s have never experienced the surgeries they provide recovery protocol for. You didn’t “mindlessly listen” you took advice in good faith and you wisely listened when your natural instinct told you to cut back due to severe swelling, so please don’t be so hard on yourself. You did nothing wrong.

Using a cane at only nine weeks post-op is certainly not unheard of. Consider bundling yourself up from the cold / wind and going outside for a short walk each day as it will serve the dual purpose of getting exercise and it will most likely lift your mood as you walk and soak in some Vitamin D...if you’re lucky enough to see the sun in your area. :SUNsmile:

Try not to focus on what your future holds, instead taking one day at a time since each day is a gift and in reality none of us are promised tomorrow. Do the best you’re able to take care of yourself through healthy eating, adequate rest and sensible exercise and I’ll bet you will begin to notice the progress you’re hoping for.

Hugs and best wishes for a great week!

OP
OP
S

SBToothfairy

Country
Thank you Sara61, Jockette, and Layla for your responses. Very sound suggestions and thoughts.

I had a 9 week postop appt today with my orthopedic PA first and followed by my surgeon. It was a virtual appt. I told my PA about my problems of the tight band and patella pain. Also it causing me to walk with a peg leg gait when it is severe. Told him that I stopped going to PT, after going 3 times a week. Told him that the PT told me 3 times a week wasn’t too much and he, the PT, didn’t advise me to stop. My PA actually agreed with me!!He and the surgeon talked about me going back to PT in a couple weeks. I just listened and didn’t comment. The PA said if you had a scab, you wouldn’t keep picking at it! Why didn’t they say this a month ago?? He said to just do my basic daily light activities, short walks and no exercise bike. Plan is to try to get the swelling and inflammation to subside. I so wish I never used that darn cpm machine, but the past is the past. Can’t change it.

With Covid 19 around all of us, no one is having any fun. So I am certainly not missing out on anything. Again, my knee situation pales in comparison to all the extreme personal stressors people are under. Please be safe everyone!

Tykey

big-cheese
Dr Phil would say even God can't undo the past! So please forget it, and look forward to getting your knee better.
I was concerned that your advice was to take a couple of weeks off, then if it's improving, go back to PT and start abusing it again.
When (not if) it improves, have confidence and never go back!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
But stupid Ms. Rule Follower wanted to get the best possible results , so she mindlessly listened & followed
It's your knee and you have the right to decide what happens to it.
Now you know that too much PT isn't good for your knee, you don't have to follow the rules. You can decided for yourself whether or not you go to PT and, if you do go, how much you will do.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @SBToothfairy
Thanks for sharing an update on your nine week post op appointment. I’ll bet it was comforting to receive the re-assurance that stepping away from PT temporarily will not stall your progress. Continuing with your regular ADL (activities of daily living) coupled with walking, but not to excess, should help you get back on track. Please continue to ice and elevate for pain and swelling also.

In my time here, I learned from, Sr Admin. Jamie, that it’s our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on it’s own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there. A colleague of ours on the hip side, CricketHip is involved in Therapeutic Massage and has often relayed this exercise to assist in manual lymph drainage. You may want to give it a try. I have, myself, and it’s very easy. This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion and pain -

While laying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval. Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.

Wishing you a great day and rest of the week! :wave:

sistersinhim

Country
I'm wondering if this could be IT band strain. Take a look at this:

Flpickleballer

Country
It is unconscionable how much miss informative (or no information) is out there about TKR recovery. I panicked because I did not have a PT appointment after my TKR. My surgeon or PA gave me zero information or advise about PA. The PA did demo “wall squats” at my 6 week follow (SERIOUSLY). Take a pain pill before PT so you can tolerate the pain.....REALLY. They just made an appointment for me. I was seriously unimpressed with PT. I had three different therapists and they each had there own theories. They are often overworked and are under pressure to “process” you. So wish I had discovered this site prior to my TKR....When and if I get the courage to have my other knee done I will not go to PT. Slow and easy and listen to your knee. It will tell you if you are over doing it....,,

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
When and if I get the courage to have my other knee done I will not go to PT. Slow and easy and listen to your knee. It will tell you if you are over doing it....,,
This is how I will do it next time, also.

OP
OP
S

SBToothfairy

Country
Dr Phil would say even God can't undo the past! So please forget it, and look forward to getting your knee better.
I was concerned that your advice was to take a couple of weeks off, then if it's improving, go back to PT and start abusing it again.
When (not if) it improves, have confidence and never go back!
Hi again, my skills in responding on these comments are pretty non existent I will not be going back to PT. It is and was very apparent that it was causing major pain, swelling and reducing the quality of my life. Thank you for the vote of confidence!!

Nuala

Country
Due to a fall two days after my tkr I was readmitted to to the hospital for a week and the spent 4 weeks in rehab. Rehab consisted of using the walker and massaging the knee and using a small foot bike with no resistance for 10 minutes. It was very gentle rehab. Also just standing and sitting repetitions. Did this for 4weeks. Built up endurance strength and confidence. Don't give up hope. Acknowledge the depression yet don't give into it .

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hey @SBToothfairy
With any luck you will receive a notification and read this. You’ll soon be four months post op. Wondering how you’re doing and if you’re still enjoying steady progress?
We’d love to hear from you...hope to soon. :)

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nancan
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom