Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR SBToothfairy's Recovery Thread

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This is very hard! I am going to PT, wearing gloves and mask. My PT is also wearing a mask.
1. We have a worldwide epidemic where the direction from authorities everywhere is to STAY HOME for everything non-essential.

2. PT is certainly not essential, possibly not even desirable.

It is not hard. Please, for everyone's safety, stay home. For your knee, do less exercise.

sistersinhim

Country
United States United States
Going to PT in this virus infested world is foolish and dangerous to you and everyone you come in contact with. Please reconsider.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @SBToothfairy
In reading your thread you sound stressed out. My heart goes out to you as I’m certain you’re confused also, not really knowing what to believe, or who’s advice to follow.
You’re only weeks out of major surgery which was “controlled” trauma to your knee. Your tissue is inflamed and needs to heal, not be pushed through the motions of a workout.

What you‘re doing in Physical Therapy is most likely contributing to the insomnia you mentioned due to the pain you’re suffering overnight. Our body does its best healing while we’re sleeping and if you continue to stress your body physically and unnecessarily you will not get the restorative rest you need to heal properly. Lack of sleep along with the stress and anxiety you’ve mentioned lowers your immune response. Given the current global pandemic you want a strong immune system. I would strongly advise you stop engaging in PT and putting yourself at risk of contracting a virus that has proved threatening for over a million world wide. Please use this time of social distancing to calm your nerves through rest and relaxation as you ice, elevate and try to catch up on sleep.

PT isn’t going anywhere. They will still be there once it’s safe again to engage in public. In the meantime you have nothing to lose, but pain, as you shower yourself with TLC through the suggestions mentioned by all who’ve responded here. I’ll bet it also brings peace and harmony back into your home creating an atmosphere that won’t have hubby heading for the hills daily.

Wishing you comfort, restorative rest, peace and perfect healing.
Have a wonderful Easter and God bless. :)

OP
OP
S

SBToothfairy

Country
My heart is warmed by the kind messages of concern. I decided to cancel my PT appts. I am taking a leap of faith and going to see how it goes. My extension and flexion were fine yesterday when I was evaluated. My PT did say that increased ROM comes with time. As Layla said, PT aren’t going anywhere. They are allowed to stay open through the Covid19 pandemic in Ct.

I am certainly stressed out. Fearful that the the strong band pain won’t go away.I am afraid that my post op pain will be worse than pre op!!I have had a history of 3 failed right rotator cuff surgeries, 3 years in a row. It caused me to give up my career of being a dental hygienist. PT’s and my surgeon dismissed my concerns after the 2nd and 3rd repairs. You know when something is really wrong! Several tears and chronic pain 6 years later. Reverse total shoulder would be the normal suggestion. I am unusual in that I have full ROM with my shoulder, with pain of course! Surgeon stated I could have less ROM and still have pain after a reverse total shoulder. I am not having it done!

Sorry for the long winded babbling Surgery and I just don’t seem to ever go smoothly!!! I am not one that jumps into surgery quickly! I do all other options first! PT, massage, chiropractor, acupuncture, exercise and water therapy !!! Haven’t started drinking YET but I have been considering to start sipping “happy” juice Drinking with my cats, wouldn’t really be drinking alone, would it??? Ice in the beverage could internally ice my knee joint!!

Stay safe !!!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Yay! :yay: I believe we‘re collectively breathing a sigh of relief. We wouldn't try to steer you wrong. I hope that the confirmation from your PT that your ROM will increase with time has reassured you. I’m betting during this down time you’ll see some progress, obtain peace through relaxation and begin to sleep better. Given your history your fears are understandable, but it doesn’t mean that this surgery can’t be a success. Let’s think positive, it’s less stressful and we’ll be there to cheer you on.

Please don’t apologize for expressing yourself. We’re here to listen, advise when we’re able and we’re always ready to offer support and encouragement.

Its good to see your sense of humor is intact. Laughter can be the best medicine. Check out the COVID 19 forum for a few laughs. You’ll find some humorous content that will hopefully make you chuckle or put a smile on your face.

Sending a warm hug and wishes for a peaceful evening :friends: Hang in there, brighter days are coming.
@SBToothfairy

OP
OP
S

SBToothfairy

Country
Thank you Layla! Your words are very reassuring and comforting. The suggestions that I received from you and others were honestly a bit thought provoking. I tend to be a rule follower. So when my surgeon had me start PT 2 days postop, after having my rtkr, I thought that was traditional and the care I needed to heal properly. So, I do as directed! I am so afraid of doing the wrong thing and having regrets.
I will check out the humor on the site. Thanks! I need humor badly to survive the current stress level in my life and also the world’s heartaches all around us.
So, I should get exercises from my PT and do them at home. It’s so foreign not to go to the PT. I really did think it was too much but again afraid not to follow through with the recommendations and then have something go wrong.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
You’re welcome!
Please just remember not to do anything that hurts. If it hurts, stop.
Your body is trying to heal and it is healing, be gentle with yourself.
You will get there. :wink:
@SBToothfairy

sistersinhim

Country
So, I should get exercises from my PT and do them at home.
You don't even have to do any exercises, just using your knee normally will rehab it just fine. I've had a total of 12 knee surgeries and never took PT and never did exercises. I just used it as I normally would have as much as my knee would allow it to do without extra pain and swelling. I recovered nicely from each and every one of them. I was doing it the Bonesmart way long before Bonesmart was even thought of!

OP
OP
S

SBToothfairy

Country
I am having a tough day with the tight band feeling. I read that it’s important to take Tylenol regularly through the day. I wasn’t doing that, just suffering through it I will start! I need to ice more as well.
My question is, should I take a short walk outdoors when this is so uncomfortable ? I am afraid of regression if I am just a couch potato??
Thanks! Happy Easter!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I'm so relieved you're going to stop going to outside PT. The thought of you catching Covid-19 through being obedient and conscientious was scary.

Yes, do take the Tylenol on a regular schedule. It works much better that way.

A short walk outside is a good idea. Stay at least 2 metres (just over 6 feet, or the height of a tall man) away from everyone outside, to minimise the risk of infection.

That tight band feeling isn't going to go away completely - sometimes it takes months - but it should decrease gradually.

Now, although you'll be doing lots of rest, ice and elevation, you aren't just going to be a couch potato. You'll be using your knee as you move around the house during your normal Activities of Daily Living (ADLs).

If you want to do some gentle exercises, these are all you need:
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Don't do them too often. Just once a day will be enough.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @SBToothfairy
I hope you had a nice Easter. Wondering how you’re doing since you last posted on Saturday? Hopefully icing and taking Tylenol on a more regular basis is helping to ease the pain and tight band sensation you’ve described. Let us know how you’re doing. We’re here for you and we care.
A great day to you!

OP
OP
S

SBToothfairy

Country
Thank you for checking in with me❤ Our Easter was quiet due to social distancing. A bit sad but safety is number 1. Hope yours was good!
I have been increasing the icing and taking Tylenol more regularly. I was definitely feeling better over the weekend. I did too much yesterday and I still feel it Lesson learned! I am icing and elevating again now. Its amazing how much of a mental funk I have been in the last 24 hours Your message came at a perfect time!!

My orthopedic 8 week postop appt for next week is now going to be done by Zoom forum. My surgeon had me use a CPM for several hours a day after my surgery for weeks. I had severe swelling. I really feel that set me up for the horrible tight band pain. That and all the PT. He won’t be pleased when I express my dissatisfaction. I am sure I will be dismissed. Wait until he hears that I canceled my PT appts I will definitely go on the non compliant patient list

Thanks again for your support!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Wait until he hears that I canceled my PT appts I will definitely go on the non compliant patient list
You don't have to tell him. Don't mention it unless he does, and if he does, say you made the decision to protect yourself from Covid-19. Your body, your knee, your choice!

OP
OP
S

SBToothfairy

Country
Celle,
You are right. He isn’t seeing me in his office because of Covid-19. He is protecting himself.

Thanks

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
The suggestions that I received from you and others were honestly a bit thought provoking. I tend to be a rule follower. So when my surgeon had me start PT 2 days postop, after having my rtkr, I thought that was traditional and the care I needed to heal properly. So, I do as directed! I am so afraid of doing the wrong thing and having regrets.
Before I found Bonesmart I felt just like this, also.

For some reason I didn’t qualify for home PT, so my first in office PT appointment was 48 hours after surgery. (I was discharged home about 36 hours after surgery.) Of course I went, that’s what they told me to do. Just getting in the car, and then into the building was awful! From then on I went to PT 3 times a week, because that’s what the PT office set up.

It’s been 3 years now and I have learned so much! Reading all the members journeys in the past 3 years has opened my eyes to the many different opinions and protocols for this recovery, many of which contradict each other.

Not all surgeon’s have the same requirements and PTs are not created equally.

My take away is, as Celle said, my knee, my recovery.

Looking back I now realize not only was there no need for me to go to out patient PT 48 hours after surgery, but by doing so, I did myself a disservice. I stressed my body and my emotions when I should have been home icing and elevating.

Next time the recovery will go very differently. I am not a confrontational person, so “defying” my surgeon’s protocol will be nerve wracking for me, but I will not go to formal PT next time. or even have home PT, I will do my own rehab at home, on my own, and be better off than what I experienced with the professionals this time around.

My surgeon almost always asked about what exercises I was doing, so I continued to do “a rep or 2 of an exercise” just so I could tell him what I was doing.

There are times to follow rules and there are also times where we have to weigh all the information, and make the choice that fits us best. Especially when the opinions about how to recover from this surgery are all over the place on how to do it.

I agree with the others, if your surgeon doesn’t ask about PT, I wouldn’t mention it. If he does, try to be confident that you are allowed to make the decisions.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: Our Easter was quiet also @SBToothfairy
It‘s sad and unfortunate, but I guess it’s for our own good right now that we’re distancing. I’m sorry you’re feeling a bit down. It’s understandable given you’re in early recovery and if that isn’t enough, we’re all most likely feeling a bit trapped spending so much time at home.

I think it’s great news that you were feeling better before you overdid it yesterday. Hopefully with some extra rest and icing you’ll be on your way again to better
and better. :happydance:

I agree with, Celle, in that you don’t have to divulge you’ve stopped attending PT. If your surgeon asks you directly whether you’re engaging in PT tell him, No, you’re practicing social distancing and staying at home as we were advised in an effort to avoid getting sick. I’d like to hear how he could argue that point. If you’re doing some walking, but not to excess, and engaging in the normal activities of daily living, that should be enough for now.

Try to keep your mind occupied to stay out of the doldrums. Watch a movie, call a friend, stop by here....we’ll visit with you. :) I hope tonight is peaceful and tomorrow is a brighter day. :SUNsmile:

sistersinhim

Country
I am sure I will be dismissed. Wait until he hears that I canceled my PT appts I will definitely go on the non compliant patient list
First off, he can't dismiss you, you are his boss. He works for you and you can dismiss him!

I never took PT after any of my 12 knee surgeries and never told my OSs. They were always happy with my recoveries, so that goes to prove that you don't need the take formal PT. You knee will recover perfectly well just using it as you normally would.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Here is what Pam thinks about the Bonesmart approach to recovery:
I’m a little behind you with bilateral TKR on Mar 16 & have had no formal PT -I was one of the last done before elective surgery shut down. I feel fortunate that I had it done & fortunate for no PT!i suspect the reason I’m doing so well with little pain is that I found this site a few months ago & have followed this philosophy. I’m able to ride exercise bike, walk outside & garden. Maybe not doing formal pt will help your pain & allow your knee to heal

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ladyk
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom