THR Sbgal THR Recovery Journey

I hope you're feeling a bit brighter today @Sbgal . It'll be lovely to be back in your own environment living life at your own pace - slow but sure! Rest easy.

Great to hear you’re home and that it was a comfortable trip getting there. It sounds as though you were well cared for on your way back to your recovery nest. Hopefully you were able to get some restorative rest overnight and your pain is still manageable.

Everything is an adjustment in these early days. It’s easy to feel a little down as you attempt to settle into a routine that works for you. Try to focus on how much better you'll even feel one week from now, and you surely will as you gain strength, get more rest and become steadier on your feet. Keep your eye on the prize, this part is only temporary.
I hope today is a good one! :)
@Sbgal

I'm sooo glad you are home, and that your pain is MINIMAL !!!
I'm sure it's difficult to be on your own, but the way you
were treated in the hospital and the rehab center were just
horrible!

I also hope your post-op blues are improving. I'm a HUGE
doggie lover, so I'll bet that once your sweet doggie is
back home with you, it'll instantly lift your mood! :console2:

Happy Friday!
I recall you mentioned you wouldn’t have help at home. Hopefully you’re settling into a routine and you’re doing okay. :fingersx:
@Sbgal

Hi everyone thank you for all of your encouragement and checking in on me. I’m doing a lot better. I’m titrating off of pain meds too. Very slowly though. I realized that I kept forgetting I needed to take it and was going past my scheduled dose so I’m adjusting them. Also I noticed I didn’t have to rely on the walker as much as I have had to so I am using the cane in my bathroom instead of my walker. It’s too tight in there too fit it anyway. I couldn’t believe how much better today was pain wise. I’m getting up a lot and have found that using a rolled up sheet is easier for me to get in and out of bed rather than the leg lifter for some reason. I can finally see that I will actually be back to normal at some point. The only thing is that I haven’t been able to find a potty seat that works. I’ve tried two so far that were too tall. Now I have just bars for me to lift up and down on. The toilet I have is right at 90 degrees. I have to make sure I sit just right and then it’s fine. But if I don’t and my legs twists it’s not good. I don’t need a super high seat. More like just a couple of inches higher. Any ideas? Thanks all ☺️

Glad you're feeling so much better. It's amazing the difference even a few days can make.
My toilet seat is part of a frame which fits over the whole loo and has arms. It's wonderful. I found it in Amazon.

Great to read you’re doing better and transitioning off pain meds. Forgetting doses is a good sign you’re not needing them as often.
I can finally see that I will actually be back to normal at some point

Yes! You will be back to normal and even better because the hip pain will be GONE.
It is encouraging to begin thinking “hey, I think this surgery is going to work after all”.
Hope your day is a good one!

I can totally empathize. I am five weeks out and not where I expected to be. Tramadol, a synthetic narcotic, and a muscle relaxer called Visterol helped me in the painful stage. See what you doctor says about them. I no longer take them so I have made progress and you will too.

Did the hospital get you set up with a commode chair? Hopefully they did because they are adjustable and can slide over your commode.. I found that to be very stable for me and you just take out the potty portion and "go" right into your toilet.. easy peasy..

Hi Cricket the hospital is 2 hours away from me so they weren’t able to do that. I did have a commode put on by the VNA but it was too tall for me and the way my toilet was shaped it didn’t work to lower it down. The other ones were all too tall as well. My hips are right at 90 degrees and with the rails on the sides I’m finding it’s actually less painful. The back of my thighs hurt a lot when I sit on a chair or especially the side of something like my bed or toilet. I’m walking around the house more but still bummed I need pain meds. Especially at night I get bad pain and it’s hard to sleep. When does everyone come off of them?

I'm sorry you're having troubles, but go easy on yourself and remember you are only 2 weeks out from major trauma to the biggest bone and some of the most active muscle groups in your body.
It's hard to read about folks doing so much "better" than ourselves but every recovery is different.

I'm a week ahead of you but here is what has helped me: I train my dogs to high levels of competition and have multiple champions in our sport. Newbies almost always ask "How long should it take my dog to learn X?" and they get frustrated when they think they're behind. The answer to the question is "It takes as long as it takes."

It takes as long as it takes to heal, too. We can push it, cry, complain, exercise, go to PT, take meds, not take meds, whatever - it still takes as long as it takes.

I hope you can keep looking forward to better days, and that the not so wonderful days become fewer and fewer. I hope you can enjoy every little bit of progress and not be discouraged by the stalls and steps back. Best wishes and all good to you.

Has anyone experienced lower back pain after THR? I had a spinal fusion on L5S1 16 years ago. I’ve never had any issues with it except for the occasional post workout soreness. My lower back has been achy off and on since I’ve come home. My bed is not as soft as the hospital beds so that makes sense. And I usually sleep on my side. But today my back feels like it’s going to give out which is what it felt like before I had the fusion. Anyone else have this come up after surgery? I’m hoping it’s just my body adjusting to the new hip

@Sbgal I have lower back issues and they flared big time post my LTHR. Sciatic pain was horrid. But it settled pretty quickly. You are carrying your weight differently now and I am sure it stresses your back a bit.

If you are required to back sleep put a small pillow under your knees. This takes the pressure off your lower back.

Jacey yes it’s been awful! I’ve been sleeping with my surgical side leg elevated. I have slowly been sleeping on my mon surgical side but I can’t sleep like that too long. Sleeping is miserable it’s the only reason I would have stayed in the hospital bc Omar least the bed was more comfortable when sleeping on my back. When did the sciatica pain go away

Sleeping is a challenge for most of us until you can get to your normal sleeping position which will take time.
The dreaded commode seat! I struggled terribly with different configurations of raised toilet seats and none worked. I found a bedside commode frame for sale locally and my wife went and bought it and it was the answer. it's very adjustable for height, has handles and a full size toilet seat. It's made so it stands directly over the home commode and easily lifted off so others can use the commode and for cleaning.

Well I over did it. I walked around today with almost full weight on my hip bc I felt like I could do it for a few steps here and there. Now I’m in a ton of pain. I hope I didn’t do anything. I’m such a dummy ‍♀️ Icing and elevating all day on between being up but it still feels like I hurt it

Welcome to the ODIC @Sbgal and I'm sorry you are now a member. Hopefully you can continue to ice and elevate and try to practice exercising your patience muscle.. :console2:
Hopefully you can get some sleep tonight and things are better in the morning.
Give yourself grace and don't beat yourself up for it.. it's a real learning exercise, trying to figure out what you can do comfortably when you are still in the beginning stages of healing.
It's doubtful that you damaged anything.. you just riled up the soft tissue that is in and around that new joint.

I hope you are able to sleep and sleep well tonight.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom