THR Sbgal THR Recovery Journey

As Pumpkin said it's unlikely you damaged your implant. That is one of the hardest parts of recovery, trying to determine exactly what's making the pain. We've all had a time where we thought we damaged the implant. We all have the dislocation fear so we all think that also. Sorry to hear the facility isn't working out.

Yes they are giving me ice and I have pillows stacked up to elevate. The issue for me is pain control and they don’t know or can’t remember how to put my leg back up on the bed. Just now I asked for help getting back in bed and she took my leg from the side because she was standing to the side of my operative leg. They do this nearly every time lift to the side instead of lifting straight out then lifting my leg. That may be causing the pain. It’s actually setting me back by staying here. I try to tell them in a nice way but my patience has totally gone out the window. I fear this will be a long long recovery.

@Sbgal do you have a belt with you? Something you could use to lift your leg yourself? These nurses should not be pulling your leg to the side.

Hello there,
I hope you got some restorative rest overnight and things are looking brighter today. I’m sorry for your struggles so early on in the healing process.

do you have a belt with you? Something you could use to lift your leg yourself?

Or a bath towel from the bathroom, possibly?

I’d be polite, but firm with the medical professionals there, mentioning you need them to understand your concerns, before, they touch you. I recall you mentioned you don’t have help at home, but at 8 days post op, you would be surprised by all you can do on your own. You may be happier and thrive better in your own space. Hopefully that’s happening soon for you. :fingersx:

Wishing you a day better than yesterday! :) :-) (:

@Sbgal perhaps the cousin you mentioned can help you get your home ready by placing things you’ll need at reachable heights (toilet paper, bed linens towels, food stuffs etc.) Also if you don’t have things like a reacher, a back scratcher and loofah with a handle or bath sponge with a handle maybe you can order them or he or she can get them for you to help make your transition home a bit easier. Hoping that today is a better day for you. Hugs

Following is a list of Recovery Articles that, Ebioic, so thoughtfully suggested above -

I’m genuinely horrified that you’re between treated the way you are, it doesn’t sound right and you deserve so much better. I’m sorry that I can’t help you from here but wanted to wish you so much more than you’re getting at the moment. It sounds a dreadful service and I agree with you being clear how unhappy you are. I’m so, so sorry.

@Sbgal perhaps the cousin you mentioned can help you get your home ready by placing things you’ll need at reachable heights (toilet paper, bed linens towels, food stuffs etc.) Also if you don’t have things like a reacher, a back scratcher and loofah with a handle or bath sponge with a handle maybe you can order them or he or she can get them for you to help make your transition home a bit easier. Hoping that today is a better day for you. Hugs

i was able to find someone at the Visting nurses whom I met a few weeks ago and is meeting me at home when I arrive. He is so great. They also do in home nursing care and PT. I’m relived. My cousin lives an hour and a half away from me so she can’t help. I’ve asked for her to bring me something to the hosptial and she is always busy. I had thought she would visit me but didn’t which is so disappointing. And I’m glad I’m going home bc the physical therapist wants me to do leg lifts, calf raises and lord knows what else. I told her I can’t do the leg lifts right now and she didn’t look happy. Can the surgeon deny other services or future surgeries if I don’t do the exercises?
And thanks hippy that means a lot to me.

Oh and I already prepped before I left to have surgery. Everything is at a level where I don’t have to reach. I have my dog at a doggie caretaker until next Monday. But I can extend this if I need to. I hired a dog walker and got one of those self watering bowls so I don’t have to fill it everyday. I can lower his food down with my grabber. It works pretty well I tried it out before I left

Hello there,
I hope you got some restorative rest overnight and things are looking brighter today. I’m sorry for your struggles so early on in the healing process.

do you have a belt with you? Something you could use to lift your leg yourself?

Or a bath towel from the bathroom, possibly?

I’d be polite, but firm with the medical professionals there, mentioning you need them to understand your concerns, before, they touch you. I recall you mentioned you don’t have help at home, but at 8 days post op, you would be surprised by all you can do on your own. You may be happier and thrive better in your own space. Hopefully that’s happening soon for you. :fingersx:

Wishing you a day better than yesterday! :) :-) (:

My concern is getting out of bed to get the ice packs all day. I’ve been lucky to be able to ice a lot with little effort. I’d need to cut that down to a few times a day. What do you think is it ok to ice just 3-4 times a day?

Hi Sbgal, I am so sorry to read of your struggles and ongoing pain issues.
I bet you will feel improvement just being in your own home. Sometimes stress can contribute to our perception of pain and hopefully there’s some of that happening with you. ((Hugs))
Is there a possibility of keeping some ice packs in a cooler by your bed?
Hopefully you are getting up more than 3-4 times a day, to help keep circulation going and I am just misunderstanding.
Ice is such a good pain reliever, swelling controller and a natural anti inflammatory, hopefully you can figure out a good routine once you’re home and in charge. Also, I had some larger ice packs and they remained cold for a long time, that could be another option for you. I had a couple that I ordered through Amazon, easy to order and quick delivery. :ice:
I just had to be more careful upon initial placement and use a better cloth barrier to prevent frostbite.
oh, how I hope you feel much improvement soon!

Hello again, I hope you’re having a good day.
I agree that you should be getting up and taking a walk every hour or so. It doesn’t have to be too long of a walk, but doing so will assist in easing stiffness and hopefully help keep you comfortably mobile. Getting up to use the bathroom, grab a drink / snack, or a fresh ice pack should be doable at this point. Having several ice packs on hand so one is always ready will help as will the suggestion of using a small portable cooler bedside, or on the bathroom counter so you can grab a frozen ice pack if you use the bathroom overnight.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful night.
@Sbgal

Hi Sbgal, I am so sorry to read of your struggles and ongoing pain issues.
I bet you will feel improvement just being in your own home. Sometimes stress can contribute to our perception of pain and hopefully there’s some of that happening with you. ((Hugs))
Is there a possibility of keeping some ice packs in a cooler by your bed?
Hopefully you are getting up more than 3-4 times a day, to help keep circulation going and I am just misunderstanding.
Ice is such a good pain reliever, swelling controller and a natural anti inflammatory, hopefully you can figure out a good routine once you’re home and in charge. Also, I had some larger ice packs and they remained cold for a long time, that could be another option for you. I had a couple that I ordered through Amazon, easy to order and quick delivery. :ice:
I just had to be more careful upon initial placement and use a better cloth barrier to prevent frostbite.
oh, how I hope you feel much improvement soon!

hi I am going to have someone help tomorrow when I get home.And yes I’m getting out of bed all the time to use the bathroom. My pain isn’t too bad now thank goodness. I was thinking about ice packs next to my bed. What kind did you get do you remember? Ice and elevating has been a lifesaver for me. Today I was able to shower, do walking with PT, get out of the bed to use the bathroom all with minimal pain meds. Of course I forgot and now am chasing my pain a little but at last I am able to have a little pressure on my surgical hip. Let me know what ice packs you used if you can thanks!

Sure, @Sbgal Colpac is the ice pack that is my favorite. I had to edit here to make the correction. It’s on Amazon, too. More details on the below post. Sorry for my confusion!
I hope this helps.
Your recent update sounds so much better, going home is what you needed. :yes:

Last edited:
Correction! The one that I really like the best is the Colpac. Clinical strength in black. Sorry for the mixup. @Sbgal
they are similar but the Colpac is the better of the 2.
And measures 12.5 x 18.5.

Last edited:
Safe travels home today @Sbgal
You're going to rest so much better in your own space and I’m betting you‘ll do really well.
Let us know how the trek home and getting settled in went once you’re ready to update again.
Happy Wednesday! :wave:

Hi Layla I’m home! The ride home was actually nice. The transport company was amazing. They gave me extra pillows, were very careful, they agreed to take me within 2 days. And just all around really great. I’m not in a ton of pain which is what I was prepared for. I had a friend help me with a new toilet seat and it works great. I’m settling in and a little sad to come home for some reason. Thanks so much for checking on me I’m doing great

So glad you’re home! What a relief and the twinge of sadness will hopefully pass as you continue to see improvements.
Silly me forgot thought you made it home yesterday :scratch:
But I do think the relief of knowing you were going home has helped your recovery!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back