Lounge Doctor

THR Sbgal THR Recovery Journey

Sbgal

Country
United States United States
I am in so much pain. It’s unbearable. They have me Tylenol first. Then an hour later 10mg hydrocodone. An hour and a half later the pain was worsening so they gave me an IV push of dilaudid. I don’t know how much. That worked really well but only for an hour then my pain was back up. They are going to give me 15mg of hydrocodone in 10 minutes. It’s weird I don’t have pain in my incision. It’s in my inner thigh and just above my knee. It’s the worst pain I’ve ever felt. Like barbaric. Is this normal? I told the nurse it was hurting in my thigh and just above my knee and she said she didn’t want to say what she thought it could be and that it was the pain block wearing off. I don’t even know what to do it hurts so bad. I won’t be able to get out of bed with pain like this. What do I do? What kind of pain meds did you all get? I don’t know how to post to the main forum so more people can answer.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Oh no....I do hope they have your pain meds tweaked so that it is better now.:console2:

I wasn't offered any ice but do ask if you can have some for your leg. They often do some pretty aggressive pulling on your leg which is probably why your nurse was hesitant to stick you with that visual while you were upset and in alot of pain.
I would have them call the doc and Iet him know if your pain meds aren't providing you relief so you can sleep.

I will leave you our recovery guidelines below for when you feel up to looking over it.

Healing hugs XXX

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Jockette

Country
@Sbgal
I’ve moved your post to the hip Recovery Forum and started a recovery thread for you.

I hope at this point you have better pain management. If not, tell them to contact your surgeon and let him/her know. Like @Mojo333 said, ask for ice, it can help.

Sending hugs and prayers that things will improve soon! :console2::prayer:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Sorry you’re having such a rough start. I hope they have your pain under better control today, bringing you some relief. Fingers crossed, they’re providing ice also. It does help.
Hang in there, it will get better. :console2:
@Sbgal

Puggles

Country
I'm so sorry for all that horrible pain! I hope you'll update and
let us know how you're doing now. I also HOPE they
called your surgeon to get better meds, AND gave you ice !!!
(( hugs ))

OP
OP
Sbgal

Sbgal

Country
Hi all,

yes I’ve been given better pain management but I had to get to a point of writhing in pain which went on for 10 hours until they gave me the right combination. I’m going to be discharged from the hospital to a skilled nursing Bc I don’t have help at home. Today’s pain is a little worse than yesterday especially this am. I may have walked too much yesterday. It’s weird my inner thighs hurt a ton and to get in to the bathroom here and at home I have to side step. The doctor wasn’t that sympathetic he just said I had developed a tolerance to the tramadol they gave me before the surgery. But I was able to get it regardless of his position on my pain

Eman85

supremo
Country
With my first THR I got back to the room and felt great. Nurse asked if I needed pain meds, of course I said no I feel great. PT came and we walked the hall and I felt so good I made 2 laps. By the time I got back to the room I was drenched in sweat and blind with pain. They gave me 1 pain pill and it wasn't long before I was asking for more. Lesson learned stay ahead of the pain and don't walk more than necessary the first days, when I say necessary I mean to bathroom and to bed.

OP
OP
Sbgal

Sbgal

Country
Hi all,

I had something distressing happen a couple days after surgery. I read the section on this forum about consent for any medical procedure and I can see that I wasn’t given one while here. I had to get a Foley Cather put in bc of urinary problems. I was very tired for the first 2 nights because my pain wasn’t managed and I didn’t sleep. On the third night I did sleep very deeply. Apparently my blood pressure was very low bc of the pain meds they were giving me. Anyway I was awoken very early in the morning by the male CNA. I wasn’t aware of what was going on and he told me, while he started touching my vagina, that he needed to clean my perennial area because of the catheter. I was so petrified I didn’t say anything. He didn’t get informed consent. He didn’t make sure I was fully awake. If he had done those things I would have said no and that I would do it myself. Later on that day a female nurse came in and ASKED if it was ok if she cleaned the area and I declined and told her I would do it myself. Needless to say, I talked to their social worker and the charge nurse, who is going to file a formal complaint. This happened at Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles. I don’t know what else to do about it. She offered for me to talk to the upper levels of management but at the time I was so exhausted I couldn’t. I am going to try to do so before I leave today. I just wanted to share my story in the off chance this happens to someone else. I’m so thankful that I read on here I should have understood what he was going to do. I clearly didn’t understand because I was asleep when he came in and started cleaning. It’s an abomination to have this happen and I feel totally violated. As these things go it will be my word against his.
Thanks for reading and listening to this. I hope this doesn’t happen to anyone else but if it does I hope my story will help you.

Pumpkin

Country
I am so sorry this happened to you, being violated while you were asleep and before you could give consent. He should have woken you and asked for your permission.
If you are unable to let upper management know about this today, be sure to write a complaint to the hospital once you are home.
I am glad you talked to the social worker and the charge nurse, who is going to file an official complaint.

Here is a link to the consent article. CONSENT: what it means and how it can be used

Thanks for sharing as other members may have had something similar happen in the hospital, they will know they are not alone.
Chris

Last edited:

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
I too am sorry to hear of an incident like this. Good for you for speaking up and don't hesitate to follow through with complaints. What happened to you was wrong and that employee needs to know it.

OP
OP
Sbgal

Sbgal

Country
My pain is much better. Although the nurses at the rehab facility don’t want to give me the pain medication until I’m 7/10 pain scale. I guess they don’t believe in staying on top of the pain?

I’m starting to have the same nerve pain I had prior to surgery. Is this typical of a THR? I had a spinal fusion 16 years ago and I felt immediate relief from the sciatica down the back of my leg. I know it’s a different surgery but that’s all I have to compare it to. I think overall I’m experiencing post surgical pain which I can deal with That will resolve in time. But I am concerned about the continued nerve pain.

Puggles

Country
nurses at the rehab facility don’t want to give me the pain medication until I’m 7/10 pain scale.
I can unequivocally say-- that is WRONG! I cannot believe they
are doing this !!!! A seven is TOO HIGH !!! I wonder if ALL
of your nurses believe this, or perhaps you are being
taken care of by a nurse that really doesn't know what they're doing.

Please either speak
to the nurse manager, and/or tell them you'd like to speak
with your surgeon, or probably since you're in rehab, speak to the doctor who is taking care of you currently.

Also, I am very, very sorry for what happened to you in the hospital!
Many (( hugs ))

Puggles

Country
P.S... I just cannot get over that this nurse told you to
wait until you are at "SEVEN!" .....Every nurse should know
that if they let their patient's pain get THAT high, it will
be VERY difficult to get it back down. From experience,
I can tell you that you should ask for pain medication as
soon as you are about a "FOUR!"

PLEASE tell me they are bringing you ice REGULARLY and/or
you have an ice machine. I am saying this from experience---
some staff won't refill it properly, and/or something could go
wrong with it, and you NEED YOUR ICE !!!!!

Also, have you told your physical therapists and/or doctor about your nerve pain
concerns? If I were you, I would tell them directly---don't
just tell the nurses.

More (( hugs ))

OP
OP
Sbgal

Sbgal

Country
I’m at the rehab facility now and the nurses at both places said they wouldn’t give meds until I’m at a 7….so I’m always at a 7 bc if I say anything lower they would deny giving it to me.

I overheard the rehab nurses talking about me in the hallway. One told the other that I was “very alert” (of course I am Captain Obvious all of your other patients have dementia) and that “she asks for her pain meds on schedule” and it wasn’t a good way he said it.

the surgeon was no help. When I was delirious with pain the day after surgery, he said I had a high tolerance to pain meds and that was why I was in so much pain. He said no one needs that high of a doseage. I said no actually I have a low tolerance for pain but regardless I cannot deal with this pain. He said something else about my eyes looking drugged…as if I was a junkie. I actually don’t think I’ll have my second hip done with him. But if you go into a surgeon and say you want to make sure you get adequate pain medication after surgery you’ll have a mark on your back.

and yes I was horrified about what happened with the male nurse. It’s totally unacceptable. I want to hold them accountable but aside from filing a complaint with them I don’t know what else to do.

OP
OP
Sbgal

Sbgal

Country
I think I damaged my hip. I was going to sit down on the bed and accidentally just sat without bracing myself. I bounced a tiny bit. Now my hip hurts on the outer upper thigh just on the side of where the incision is. Did I mess something up? I’m in a fragile state right now being in a nursing home

HelenaM

Country
My husband was recently at a rehab center for 4 days due to an anesthesia reaction after knee replacement. His pain was well managed.

Do you have a relative or friend who could call the nurse in charge to advocate politely for you and also ask that you get ice as needed? Covid rules may make visiting difficult, but maybe even a call would help.

OP
OP
Sbgal

Sbgal

Country
I decided I’m leaving on Wed. I just need to be home. I have a cousin here but she isn’t doing much to help with all the difficulties I have already had which were more serious. I don’t have anyone to care for me when I get home but I’m going to call a nursing care place to see about getting someone in to help me. It’s so hard I’m really sad on top of this emotional toll with the hip replacement

OP
OP
Sbgal

Sbgal

Country
I think I damaged my hip. I was going to sit down on the bed and accidentally just sat without bracing myself. I bounced a tiny bit. Now my hip hurts on the outer upper thigh just on the side of where the incision is. Did I mess something up? I’m in a fragile state right now being in a nursing home
I’m afraid I really hurt my hip. I’m in so much more pain than some others who just sailed through it. I’m half the age of most and they seem to be doing so much better than me. I can’t even put all my weight on my foot much less go up stairs as I’ve read others have been able to do.
Did I mess up my hip by sitting without support? I kinda bounced a little just like my doc told me not to do…

Pumpkin

Country
Did I mess up my hip by sitting without support? I kinda bounced a little just like my doc told me not to do…
Unlikely that you hurt your hip, be sure to mention what happened to your nurse, so they can check your hip.

I am sorry you are in so much pain.
Are they giving you ice and elevating your leg?

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
right TKR 2 Mo
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom