TKR Saw a new surgeon today

Ghost Rider

Country
United States United States
I wanted to see a doctor who uses the Stryker triathlon knee. I think I handled this all wrong. I told the assistant that I didn't think I would be able to go back to work as a finish carpenter and I wanted disability.

About a week ago I started taking Meloxicam every day because I was in so much pain. So today I'm feeling pretty good. This doctor does not think I'm nearly bad enough for knee replacements. He said I have good range of motion and the xrays do not show bone on bone. He had no interest in the results from my MRI. He said MRI's always show arthritis and only bone on bone replacement have positive outcomes. I think he meant that I have to really bad my impression to be positive.

My primary doctor said I could get an EMG and that would say a lot as to why I'm having so much pain. Also gave a referral to a ortho just to get a 3 opinion, someone who will not be doing a surgery. I'm going to ask why so many doctors feel disability is a third rail not to be touched. In the future I'm just going to ask if I can expect to return to working on my knees all day.

Well I have to disagree that you need to be bone on bone to have TKR. This is a quality of life issue. You are in pain and that pain needs to be addressed. Find someone with a bit more compassion.

This doctor does not think I'm nearly bad enough for knee replacements. He said I have good range of motion and the xrays do not show bone on bone. He had no interest in the results from my MRI. He said MRI's always show arthritis and only bone on bone replacement have positive outcomes. I think he meant that I have to really bad my impression to be positive.
Obviously, this was not the right surgeon for you.

Don't be put off. Try again, but don't focus on looking for a surgeon who uses a particular type of replacement hardware. In spite of advertising claims, there really isn't a lot of difference between the various brands.

What you need is to look for the best surgeon, because it's the surgeon's skill that will make all the difference.

It's probably too soon to be mentioning disability.

Some surgeons are legends in their own mind!! The one you saw seems to fall into that category. If your not comfortable with the potential surgeon find someone else. Your job as a carpenter requires a lot of standing kneeling etc ( I use to be an electrician ) you need your knees. Like others have said a good surgeon can really improve your life.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom