Lounge Doctor

THR Sashimu's post-op thread: I made it!

OP
OP
Sashimu

Sashimu

Country
Canada Canada
So I just talked to my surgeon about my CT scan results. The good news is he doesn't see any issue with the prosthesis itself. He thinks that I have a very irritated psoas muscle, possibly tendonitis, and that I need to basically stop doing everything, except activities of daily living, and then increase my activity very very very slowly over the next few weeks. No more exercises; take Ibuprofen on a timetable. I asked him about an MRI but he said it was too soon after the surgery to be able to tell much; maybe in a couple of months if my problem persists, though he thinks it "should settle."

Just to recap my problem: I did two or three sets of the 6 exercises they gave me, seven or eight reps of each, and walked 10 or 15 minutes, for 3 days in a row. The fourth day I woke up with groin pain at a five or six, which I've had most of the time ever since, except for after I've taken ibuprofen. So that's where I'm at, after almost 9 weeks.

I've mentioned that my hip was angled backwards and that during the surgery he removed some bone that was covering the front of my hip socket in order to place the cup. He said that the psoas muscle ran over top of that bone that is now gone, so that where bone used to be there's now a hollow, and that the muscle is trying to adjust to this. Hence the irritation on activity.

Still digesting this news. Not what I had hoped for my recovery, but I know I'm not the only one in that boat.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Just to recap my problem: I did two or three sets of the 6 exercises they gave me, seven or eight reps of each, and walked 10 or 15 minutes, for 3 days in a row. The fourth day I woke up with groin pain at a five or six, which I've had most of the time ever since, except for after I've taken ibuprofen.
It looks like you began the exercises on March 30th...is that correct?
You mentioned after four days you woke up with groin pain...did you stop the exercises at that point then?

Also you mentioned the intense groin pain you experienced after slipping on the zucchini, I wonder if the fall further aggravated already angry healing tissue? Your THR sounds like it was a bit more involved. Given that, one would expect your recovery to be a bit slower than others.

OP
OP
Sashimu

Sashimu

Country
Canada Canada
Hi Layla, I got my first set of exercises from physio on March 29th. I did them once or twice a day, five reps each exercise... They were all done standing--hamstring curl, marching on the spot, sidestepping, calf raise, and hip extension. I also walked 5 minutes a day with the four wheel walker, gradually increasing up to 15 minutes.

The second time I went for physio, on April 15th, I got another set of exercises. Still doing the hamstring curl and the hip extension, but also doing marching while walking, mini wall squat, standing abduction, and step up onto a step. They also gave me a standing hip flexor stretch. I continued the walking, though I've never gotten past 15 minutes a day. I cut back after the slip in my kitchen and when I talked to the physio on April 23rd he said to cut back on my activities and to continue with the exercises as long as they didn't cause pain.

After 6 days or so, I felt so much better that I started ramping things up again, which led me to the point I'm at for the last 2 days, where the level of groin pain is such that I'm doing nothing except moving around the house.

Even though I had a list, I totally forgot to mention the slip in the kitchen to the surgeon... But yes, that couldn't have helped matters any.

I'm going back to the physio tomorrow even though I'm no longer doing the exercises just to get answers to a few questions like should I still be using the cane or walker around the house... I'll be sure to mention the slip as well. Also who knows, maybe he can do some kind of treatment to relieve the inflammation.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
He thinks that I have a very irritated psoas muscle, possibly tendonitis, and that I need to basically stop doing everything, except activities of daily living, and then increase my activity very very very slowly over the next few weeks
I agree and hope you take your surgeons advice over the PT‘s. Also consider icing the groin area several times a day as long as it’s hurting. Hopefully with stepping away from the exercises, limiting activity for a time then slowly rebuilding, you’ll notice a change soon.

In case you never made it through the Recovery Guidelines, check out The Big Tip -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I hope you have a nice week!

Schaargi

senior
Country
Oh, @Sashimu ,

I'm so sorry this has taken a down turn. I injured myself early on in my recovery from my first hip by being too enthusiastic with my exercises and it took about 3 weeks for it to calm down. Now, at 11 months out, those 3 weeks seem like nothing. It's a setback but not a game changer.

You seem to be doing everything right. Now it takes some patience. You might be able to have some treatment to help calm it down. Your physio should have some ideas. Hang in there!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Forgot to wish you a....Happy Two Month Anniversary!! :roseshwr:
Stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing....we care. :)
@Sashimu

OP
OP
Sashimu

Sashimu

Country
Canada Canada
Oh, @Sashimu ,

I'm so sorry this has taken a down turn. I injured myself early on in my recovery from my first hip by being too enthusiastic with my exercises and it took about 3 weeks for it to calm down. Now, at 11 months out, those 3 weeks seem like nothing. It's a setback but not a game changer.

You seem to be doing everything right. Now it takes some patience. You might be able to have some treatment to help calm it down. Your physio should have some ideas. Hang in there!
Thanks, @Schaargi. I just read your recovery thread...a lot of similarities in our recoveries, even though we don't have exactly the same problems. I also got a couple of good tips from it! This was back near the beginning of your recovery, in the first nine weeks, which I'm now coming up to. Riding the recumbent bike, and dry needling! You thought the dry needling really helped your hip flexor (aka psoas?), so I'm definitely going to ask about that when I'm at the physio tomorrow.

I've said this before, but it is SO helpful to read about your and other people's experiences. Thank God for this forum; this has been a rough ride and it's a lifesaver. ❤

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LisaM
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom