BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Saran Wrap

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Leghurts!, May 14, 2019 at 7:16 AM.

1. Leghurts!

Leghurts! new member

United States United States
    TKR surgery was 03/28/19 I was home the next day, things with the knee seem to be going very well. My surgeon and Physical therapist say my knee is recovering faster then most. The problem that has me very concerned is I'm having extreme pain in my thigh and calf. The thigh pain seems to be on the top and on the inside, it's muscle pain. The calf seems to be muscle also but the top (Shin) is very painful. My doctor say's he's never had this happen to this extent before, he says I'm probably to active and I should take it easy for awhile. My therapist seems to agree. I had a TKR on my right leg 9 years ago and didn't have this kind of pain. It's to the point that I have to sleep with a heating pad wrapped around my leg. I have slowed down with activities, until a week ago I was walking about a mile a day. I quit walking and it's made no difference. Has anyone experienced this? Should I just sit around the house and hope it goes away?

2. winemama

winemama junior member

I am right where you are, I have the muscle pain down my calf and wraps around my ankle. Going to the Dr today. The pain is insane, never had anything like it. I will let you know what they say

3. 9weeksago

9weeksago new member

I am 10 weeks post op and still have pain lateral side of leg knee down. Hard to sleep at night and sometimes wakes me up
    I have told surgeon and therapist and they say all the soft tissue and muscles are still adjusting to the new knee and it can last3-6 months. Not what I expected after surgery, thought by this time I would be pain free.

4. winemama

winemama junior member

I know what you are talking about. I see my Dr tomorrow and I’m sure he’ll tell me the same thing. I’ve been icing like a fool, not just the knee, the calf and ankle. Just take it day by day. Please keep me updated

5. 9weeksago

9weeksago new member

You too, it does help to know I am not the only one.

6. Leghurts!

Leghurts! new member

when I had my other TKR on the right side I had none of this muscle pain, at least they are telling you something. All I get is "take it easy, I've never seen it this bad"

7. 9weeksago

9weeksago new member

I know, it doesn't help when you are up in the middle of the night, not knowing what to do for the pain.

8. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome to Bonesmart :welome:. Being too active can cause extra pain and swelling. Your doctor and PT are correct. Slow down. Your knee isn't even 2 months into a 12 month healing. The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started. As you read more on other members recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect and what not to do, especially regarding PT.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

9. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    The pain in your thigh could be from where the tourniquet was used. You're doing the right thing in resting more and applying heat to your thigh (keep heat off your knee, though).
    Tourniquet pain in upper thigh

I assume you had the calf pain checked, to make sure you don't have a DVT (deep vein thrombosis)? Is the pain at the back of your leg or the front? I thought at first you meant at the back, on your calf, but then you mentioned pain in the shin.
    Sometimes the shin pain is because of the tibial implant, part of which goes down inside your shin bone.

These pains will settle down in time, bad as they are now. As sistersinhim said, you're only 6+ weeks into what is usually a 52-week recovery, so there is plenty of time for improvement.

We always advise people not to compare if they have already had one knee replacement. No two surgeries are exactly alike and no two knees were in exactly the same state before the surgery. Also, your memory seems to compress the recovery time and the pain and frustrations of the first surgery as time passes. It's like how you forget the pain of labour when you have a lovely new baby to hold.

You don't need a lot of PT for your knee. I'm glad your therapist agreed that you should cut down.
    It's not exercising that gets you your ROM (Range of Motion) - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

There's no need to rush to get ROM, because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

10. jboles

jboles graduate

@Leghurts! I love the name! I’m 8 weeks out and I have leg pain too. Not very much actual knee pain. My OS said it’s just going to take time. My knee was valgus for years and original TKR last year didn’t completely correct it, hence the revision. So my poor leg has been recovering from TKR for a year and a half now. It’s tired and I am too ! I guess we don’t have a choice but to give it time and rest.

11. Leghurts!

Leghurts! new member

Thanks everyone for the helpful insight. I'll take it slower and give it more rest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Leghurts!

Leghurts! new member

Someone mentioned "Saran Wrap and Blue Emu" They said it helps them sleep. Can some one explain this to me? Thank you.

13. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Leghurts!
    You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
    For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
    Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

14. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Here is an article about using cling film. I think that's what you were asking about.
    Night pain solutions using moist heat and clingfilm

15. Jodingers

Jodingers member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Leghurts! I'm 8 weeks and have been going to bed with cling film wrapped round my knee and a gel ice pack on top since I read the article on here less than 2 weeks in, works amazingly for me! It stops the irritation, burn and zingers.Try it. :yes!: