Rotator Cuff Repair SaraK - Living the Life after Rotator Cuff Surgery

I've read there are 2 competing groups out there. 1 group says less pain at 6 months with early Pt and other says greater integrity of repaired tendon if delay until 6 weeks. I appreciate not having pain now but wonder whether rehab will be harder and more painful as a result of 6 weeks of activity.

the pt right now isn't much more than them moving my arm very gently and massaging around the joint. the ones I do at home mostly are for the wrist and elbow. although I can squeeze my shoulder blades. pt said that would not compromise the tendon repair. the pendulums are simply letting your arm hang. but I agree, everyone is different. it'll be interesting to see how we both do in the long run.

My OS told me the early period of Inactivity is essential to allow the repaired tendon to reattach to the bone. Then there was a long period of doing stretches. Then much later, very gradual strength training. Has worked very well for me.

@marieltha - how long was your period of inactivity? I've been told 6 weeks then several weeks of stretching (only passive at first) then several months of strengthening and range of motion.

Not about to compete in a weightlifting competition

Thank God for small miracles!!!! :wink:
Happy to hear you’re doing well and even working a bit from home. I hope you have a nice Sunday and maybe even sneak in a looong nap. :sleeep:
Hugs:friends:

@Layla - does sleeping until 11:30 count?

I've been told 6 weeks then several weeks of stretching (only passive at first) then several months of strengthening and range of motion.
That's the schedule I followed

Well, today was the first day of (very) part-time work from home. Typing and writing will be easier later this week when I have the right size sling (I'm 5'5" and got put in a unisex large that extends almost to the tip of my pinkie), but was able to do ok today. I've also started to use my usual 2 handed approach to the cell phone, so that helps as well. I've got several projects I need to work on tomorrow, so it will be a bit more time in the "office."

Sara ! I go away for a few months and you have added yet another surgery to your list.:oyvey:please do get well soon. I will hold on to your dancing shoes for the moment.

So good to hear from you @Bumblebee - I hope you buzz by often and keep me company. Much lonelier on the shoulder forum than the hip forum!

Traffic here kind of goes up and down. It was pretty active last year at this time when we had 5 people recovering at the same time. That's not the case right now so it will be slower....and even slower yet since elective surgeries are not being done and there are likely no new shoulder post op patients who "find" BoneSmart while looking for information on the internet.

But.....I try and stop in every day or two because I love hearing how my fellow shoulder warriors are doing! You are doing really well and I'm impressed that you are able to work so soon. Sometimes the typing on a computer or smart device can be irritating to your arm muscles, so I'm glad that's not happening to you. For me, it was a problem when I had arthroscopic surgery, but not a problem after my shoulder replacement. Go figure.:heehee:

@Jamie - I appreciate you stopping by! Even without the halt in elective surgeries, the shoulder area has many fewer patients than the hip area which also makes it harder to figure out what's normal!

I had too many things I had to do today and ended up working close to 6 hours (not writing and typing during all of it) and I am wiped out. Going to put my feet up, turn on mindless TV and doze as needed until time for bed! With everything going on around us, I'm glad I have work to do ( and glad I have people helping out on some of it). I am the only person at my firm for one of my roles, though, and there's a huge deal starting up on a fast track in that area.

Since doctor had said I could take off strap in front of upper arm and move hand forward to type, I tried that some today but tried not to overdo it. The muscles are definitely telling me they're done for the day!

Staples out tomorrow!

Last edited:
It will feel better with staples gone....as you well know since you've been down recovery road before. When I had my arthroscopic surgery and tried to type, my pain was in my biceps muscle. Jo reminded me that "everything is connected to everything." So, even though I positioned my arm on my desk chair so that I only moved my hand when I typed, the motion transmitted all the way up my arm. What a yukkie lesson to learn! I hope you don't have any after effects tomorrow.

Actually, other than c-section, this is my first time with staples - I had skin glue with each of the hip surgeries. When typing, I kept the arm in the sling and not on desk but pushed the wrist and part of arm out - may have helped with shock absorption.

Staple removal should be easy. It sounds like your typing position should work to minimize overworking the muscles. Hope it works for you.

Well yesterday was a day of firsts. First day I put on a bra, first day I wore regular pants (but very stretchy), first day I went further than the mailbox and (the reason for getting out) first time visiting potential wedding venue with my son and his fiance!

Things continue to go well. Said fiance took out the stitches Thursday. Even though the incision looked like it was healing well and there were no open areas, we put steristrips over it as a precaution since the surgeon wasn't evaluating it.

This may sound weird but, with my hips and now the shoulder, I found that my body tells me when ice is no longer as beneficial. While I need it the most, it doesn't make me feel cold and doesn't seem as heavy. Once I'm doing better, it makes me cold and just seems to heavy, bulky and just overall irritating to use. I'll still use as necessary but have definitely decreased the use.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Wonderful milestones you've reach. Here's to more good recovery.

Hi @SaraK - I didn't realize you had staples. Was it arthroscopic? I have a 3"incision across the top of my shoulder. I had one stitch that went across the incision and was woven in. At 2 weeks the PA pulled it out. My sister had anchors put in that supposedly dissolve over 3 years. So, I asked my surgeon if I had any. He said most anchors are metal and he doesn't use them because they sometimes come loose then float around the joint. For me he drilled holes in the bone and fed the tendon into the holes and used a stitch to keep everything in place. Funny how things are so different depending on the surgeon. Glad to hear you are also doing well.

Saw your wedding venue statement. I'm surprised you were able to go see a venue. My daughter is also getting married in December. She's been a basket case since the girls aren't able to go shopping for their dresses. I'm hoping this virus finds its way to die out soon. Life is a mess right now.

Keep up the good work.

I'm still waiting for a copy of the op report. I expected it to be arthroscopic and was told the largest incision (at the top of the shoulder) would be about 1 inch. Instead it was 2-1/2 to 3 inches. Not sure why. They did close even the smaller incisions with staples (total of 14). I wonder if your friend's anchor would dissolve or the material used with the anchor system would dissolve (there are some systems that you put anchor(s) behind the tear and another spot and pull the tendon together using suture type material). I know from one thing I could see on health portal that one anchor was used. I'm not sure why bone wouldn't grow in around the anchor just like it would with a hip implant, etc.

My son is also planning a December wedding. I was surprised (and a little leery) that we were able to see the venue. It is totally closed, though, and it was the two of them, me, her mom and the person doing the tour. We all kept a respectable distance and the marketing person opened all doors and provided wipes and sanitizer.

How are you doing, @momweb ?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks