Rotator Cuff Repair SaraK - Living the Life after Rotator Cuff Surgery

I'm trying to decide when to go back to my regular gym and still not going out to listen to music with friends. It's a lot more lonely existence but I want to give it a bit more time.

My goodness, the restraint you’re exercising. Is this the real SaraK we’ve come to know and love, or are you an imposter? :heehee:

@Layla - it all depends on the risks involved! A little bit of potential pain from overdoing it (although I only seemed to be overdoing it most of the time) versus this nasty virus with an increased risk of complication? No comparison!

@SaraK. Had my one week check up, got stitches out,sling for 6 weeks, start therapy in 3 more weeks go up to program 5 on chair and pendulums. Pain has been manageable with only 3 pain pills and 4 tylenol a day with lots of ice still hard using only one hand to hold phone and type. take care

Sounds like things are going well so far @tazzy13 ! It does take time to adjust to how to do things - especially if it is your dominant arm. I had a pillow stand I could put on my tummy to hold the phone or tablet so that you could just use one to type. As I got a bit better, I was able to hold the phone over by the hand in the sling and use both this to type. You'll be surprised how quickly you will figure out some work arounds. Hope things continue to improve.

Hi @SaraK, the humidity has moved into the east. My day begins with a long walk with the dog, usually from 1.5 miles to 3 miles depending on the weather. If it's really lousy we just lob around the block. And then I do my aerobic video. I can't believe how you're doing the weights. Good for you. I've been able to use some 2 LB pounds during therapy. But one of the exercises is drawing the alphabet with your arm overhead. I can still only hand a one pound weight there. I asked the therapist where I was with therapy. She said I was 1/2 way. I'm now on the power training. My surgeon doesn't call it strength training for whatever reason. He calls it power work! So I'm powering up now. I'm doing well, but things like pushing a vacuum still causes pain. There's a lesson to learn there somewhere. LOL!

Thought I'd check in and say hi. One more week and I go MOB dress shopping.

Our Y opens next week with phase A, as they call it. I won't be going back for awhile. Tomorrow we're going over to some friend's house for pizza. We'll stay outside and keep our distance. I can't wait!!

Take care and don't over do! Seems crazy to say that to you!! Have a good rest of the week.

My last 3 PT sessions have resembled early sessions with my trainer - pushups at table height, pull up rows, pull down rows, etc. We still do other things to increase range of motion and work on stability of the shoulder and strength of smaller muscles, but moving more towards strengthening the larger muscles. PT has OK'd doing planks with various movements at table height, pushups at a lower level and planks at bench height. We also changed the feet some today on the pull up rows - all to increase the amount of body weight being moved by the muscles. It feels good to be moving closer towards my "normal."

@Mojo333 - I saw a meme today that reminded me of you. You always say that "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." My rejoinder is now "Just because its a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time." It also made me think of you lighting fireworks soon!

It feels good to be moving closer towards my "normal."

I’ll bet! Over three months post op already.
I hope you have a nice holiday weekend! Not sure of the weather there, but we’re pretty hot here. Eighty five to Ninety and humid, with no immediate relief in sight...ugh!
Not my fave.

@Layla We've had a few days of rain which has kept the temps down in 70s and low 80s. I'm heading to KC for the weekend to see my mom (lots of cards in my future) and my college roommate. I won't be able to visit my grandmother in the nursing home but will do a window visit and bring her cards for her 97th birthday in a couple of weeks.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend - just close your eyes and find the best fireworks in your memory!

Safe travels! :wink:

I will have my next appt with the surgeon on 7/22. At the same time is hard to believe it's been almost 4 months and equally hard to believe it's only been 4 months! As I mention in @momweb 's thread, a lot of the remaining work is on external rotation (plus strength and endurance). My PT said that, unless there is something specific the surgeon or I want him to work on, he'll cut me loose after my Dr appt. We started several new exercises I'll be able to continue at home. He really sees these as getting me beyond the typical level to where I can do my lifting again (I can't quite grip the bar low enough behind my head for squats). My trainer added a couple more exercises for the same purpose today.

With my PT's blessing, we increased my benchpress today to 33 lb. It felt wonderful! I won't be able to use them for a while, but I bought some weight plates this weekend. It is impossible to find them in stores and the prices on resale have been ridiculous. I found some from 4 different people today, though, that will take care of me for the next several months.

My younger son is going to move into an apartment at my older son's new house. He'll take some of the furniture with him. I'll still need to do some emptying and cleaning, but I'm planning to do a home gym in the basement. I'll have some cardio equipment in addition to the weights. I'm also going to get a "rack" that's a full rack and can have a safety bar set up on the sides. I've learned my lesson and won't ever bench without a spotter or safety bar ever again! I should have the weights set up by about the time I'm allowed to start really lifting again. Not planning on a jackrabbit start, though. My plan is to start at a very low weight and increase it a little each week, ending with me being back at my former levels by the one year point if possible.

Take care all!

Well, I'd hoped to be able to post today about my appointment with my surgeon, but I had to cancel. My older son was notified last night that he's been exposed to COVID at work. He's pretty sure it was his cubicle-mate so he would have gotten prolonged exposure (and they don't wear their masks at their desks). Since I've gotten together with him recently, I'm in self-quarantine for at least 2 weeks and persona non grata at the doctor's office. They're no longer doing telehealth so I cant even do it that way.

In the meantime, PT released me. We talked about specific things to do and progression to get the last bit of range of motion and to continue to work on endurance and strength in addition to "power" . Otherwise, I'm already able to do everything I need to do in day-to-day life so he didn't see the need for me to return. As always, he's a phone call or email away if something comes up.

@Sarak,Hope all turns out ok and neither one gets sick. guess you will have to wait and see how it goes. take care, stay safe.

Oh my stars...Im sorry you have to worry about this and are quarantined.:sad:
You are one baby who doesn't like to be put in the corner. (Dirty Dancing reference here...case anybody dares to think I would call this strong woman a baby!)
Double fingers crossed that all ok, friend.:fingersx::fingersx:

@SaraK Wow! This is the last thing you needed. I'm thinking of you and hoping all turns out well. My future son-in-law works at a Federal Prison. He contracted the virus early in the spring. Fortunately, no one else got it and he's now ok. Be thinking of you and keep us posted.
Sue

@Mojo333 - loved the Dirty Dancing reference - one of my favorite movies (great music, dancing and Patrick Swayze - how could it go wrong)! Luckily, I'm working from home anyway and busy. In addition, plenty of food and toilet paper so no need to leave the house for the next 2 weeks (even have evaporated milk in the cupboard). It does mean my son's move out and conversion of his bedroom and the family room will need to wait, but I also get his company for an extra week or two. I appreciate everyone's support and well wishes!

Awww....Sara....NO FAIR! Hang in there. At least you're looking at the positive aspects of a real quarantine. Here's hoping your body is successfully putting the big whap on any bugs that might have come your way. I hope your son is okay too. No one wants to be even a "little bit" sick with the virus.

And the envelope please . . . Test result are in and both sons tested negative. Since the older son has an upper respiratory infection, we're going to personally treat it as if it were a false negative and continue quarantine until the weekend or (in his case) until 3 days after no URI symptoms.

Appoint with surgeon has been scheduled for next Monday am.

Whew! Glad everyone "dodged the bullet"! Good idea to continue the quarantine just in case.

Please let us know how it goes on Monday.

Hi Sara,
So far, so good! I hope older sons upper respiratory infection clears quickly.
Best wishes for your appointment on Monday, I’ll bet it will feel good to get out of the house after your quarantine.
A great week to you :)
@SaraK

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker