Rotator Cuff Repair SaraK - Living the Life after Rotator Cuff Surgery

Great news!

Glad to hear all's well on the virus side. How did your visit with the surgeon go?

I had to cancel surgeon (day after we found out about exposure). I'm rescheduled for Mon am. Don't expect it to be much more than me acting like a young child wheeling and pleading to be allowed to do the things I want to do!:rotfl:

:yahoo::egypdance::dancy::happydance:

Happy dance time! I had my delayed appointment with the surgeon today and no wheedling or pleading required. No more follow up appointments. He released me with no restrictions (other than using some common sense). I am ok'd to begin all weightlifting activities as long as I proceed slowly. I'll start with just the bar (and use a modified bar for deadlifts at the start) and increase by 5-10 pounds each week, backing off if any pain or significant soreness that day or the day after (my plan and he approved). I have work to do to prepare the basement first, but my home gym (with safety bars to prevent a similar injury in the future) will arrive in about 3 weeks! Count me as one happy gal!

Sara, sounds like a great plan and I am extremely happy for you. It bears repeating, you have so inspired me that I am now the fittest I’ve been in over 2 years. Thank you and the best of everything to you. ❤️ Pat

UH OH! He cut you loose! :yikes:
I’m 50% happy and 50% nervous for you.
Will Be Watching. :skep:

In all seriousness, I couldn’t be happier for you, Sara.
It’s been a lot of surgery and recovery over the past three years. You deserve to have some fun! Stay safe and well.

Hugs :friends:
@SaraK

Sara, what a great milestone!!! I'm so happy you've reached this point. I hope you continue to chronicle your progress as a roadmap for other weight lifters who may follow you in surgery. I know this is your passion and I'm thrilled your surgeon supports you going back to it. That's the whole idea of joint replacement - to get back to doing the things we love as much as possible.

So glad to hear you are doing so well.
Happy Friday, friend:) :-) (:

Wahoo! Wish I were in the same boat as you. I'm still using 1-2 pounds. One night a couple weeks ago I woke up with extreme pain. Not sure why. Since then I had to drop most weight and work on the ROM again. I'm scheduled with the doc for a cortisone injection on Monday. We'll see how that goes.
Sue

Oh, Sue @momweb - I wish that wasn't so! You've been thru enough already and need to be finished with this. I wonder what caused such intense pain. Maybe you just moved wrong in your sleep and it will get better with some rest. I find it interesting that were are no follow-up tests before I was unleashed on the world. While he did have reports from PT (and he does actually look at the PT reports), the only things he did at the appt were to have me lift arms overhead and then to resist him pushing down with arm straight out in front. Maybe the level of strength is enough to tell them it's fully healed, but I find the low tech approach a little disconcerting!

Now, get that injection, give it some rest and let's get you back on track!

I had the same type of visit to my OS. The Relafen made a small difference which I didn't notice until 4 days after I finished the drug. The pain returned with a vengeance. I was doing really well even decided to finish out my last 5 visits with PT once a week. Then the night terror came. Now, I'm back to twice a week. I'm leaving on vacation on Wednesday to New Hampshire where we own a condo. We'll be there for a week. I'm hoping the injection will help so I can just do my stretches and things will calm down. Only time will tell.

Enjoy your trip. Maybe just take it easy and not do the stretches or exercises to see if it helps calm things down?

@SaraK.....those "low tech" tests are good enough to assess your recovery, although my surgeon took x-rays at each visit as well. Did you get those?

No @Jamie there were no xrays. Probably different for shoulder replacement than rotator cuff repair. I don't think there's much an x-ray would show other than maybe the anchor that was used. I was just surprised that there wasn't more before I was released without any restrictions.

Duhhhh.....of course you wouldn't get x-rays! Somehow I had it in my mind you had a replacement. Thanks for tuning me up! :heehee: What you got is all you'd ever get for rotator cuff repair. And it sounds like you're doing just great.

Yep - I definitely got my money's worth! tonight was the first time back in the gym after seeing the surgeon. I continue to see small improvements in range of motion. I limited the amount I lifted - I know I have to work back slowly. I can also see its going to take a while to build back up but it feels good to start. No pain but icing just in case this evening.

Hello Ms. @SaraK,

As I sit here in New Hampshire, I was thinking of you and wondering how things were going. I can't believe it's been 5 months since our surgery. You definitely seem to be doing better than me. I'm not horrendous but not where I want to be. I have an MRI scheduled for Thursday with an appointment with the surgeon next Monday. So, I guess I'll know by then what's up. Thursday I also see my other ortho for my 3 year check on my left knee. Bionic woman, here I come.

Hey, @momweb - exactly 5 months for me today. It will definitely be a while still before I get to the point where I was before all of this (dont let any of my posts make you think otherwise) and even longer before it's "forgotten" in day to day life, but what a difference 5 months can make! On the other hand, I'm too stubborn to let it slow me down any more than necessary!

How was New Hampshire? We took the train from Boston to Maine last fall and that may be the only time I've ever been there. I didn't see much of it but what I could see was beautiful that time of year.

Good luck with the MRI tomorrow (I hope you're not deathly claustrophobic like me). I hope it and your appointment with the surgeon next week give you clear options.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back