Rotator Cuff Repair SaraK - Living the Life after Rotator Cuff Surgery

Today was a better day. The pain is under much better control.I was able to take the bandage off and shower (not sure how flesh I got but felt more human). Incision much longer than expected. Other than shower, the only exercise today was getting up to use the bathroom. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Just take it easy for a while. There's no hurry. Glad you figured out what to do to help your pain. That's the most important thing to do right now.....pain management.

Today was a little better - more discomfort than pain (except right before the next dose is due). With this virus shutting things down, everyone is at wits' end. Worked out for me as 2 groups of friends put group video chats together.

Between the meds and the pain, I haven't had much of an appetite. Realized today that I needed to start making myself eat more - I stepped on the scale and I'd lost 5 lb since surgery. I need to lose weight but that's a bit too dramatic.

Glad your pain is a little better. If you don't feel like eating, maybe try some Ensure. It's really good for you with extra protein for healing.

Good idea, @Jamie . Better for me than the rockie road ice cream I've been using to tempt myself

Good Morning and Happy Monday. :wave:
Good to hear you’re doing better and a lil ice cream will help all that ails ya :wink:
I hope today is a comfy, cozy happy nappy kind of a day! :SUNsmile:
@SaraK

I had forgotten what it was like to suddenly call asleep and nap for hours. Then to get up and repeat the process!

Every day is better than the one before. I've gone from taking extra pain meds a few days ago forsaken them at the longest prescribed interval. If I continue to feel better tomorrow, I may lengthen it even further -but only if I can do so without pain.

I would hate to be in a cast! The sling allows movement of the fingers and wrist but I still feel like the fingers are cramping up. Between that and the 2-1/2 incision itching . . .

Thanks to Jamie's suggestion, I ate better today. I had some Ensure with my morning pain meds and didn't have as much nausea.

In this time of covid, I've discovered the meaning of a true friend - mine brought over a pack of toilet paper with dinner!

:rotfl:Dinner and toilet paper.....that's certainly a new combination. Made me laugh!

Today I only took 2 pain pills and might have been ok without them. The discomfort is greater without the sling (only during bathing and dressing). I try not to move it much without it but also don't think I could if I tried.

Tonight I made dinner with just a little help from my son (and him taking clean-up duties). I also did a little work (conference calls I could handle without much difficulty). No where near normal but some small kernels of normalcy. I'll taKe that for 5 days post op.

Sounds like you're moving right along make sure you don't over do things. wishing you well stay safe.

Thanks @tazzy13 - I'm using the sling but gradually ramping up activities to feel more normal, letting pain be my guide.

I talked to the surgeon's office today about my 2 week follow-up next week. To avoid additional exposure (for them and me), I'm going to have a friend who is IT and removed staples before remove my staples. Surgeon was ok with that and said no need for even phone appt next week but appt for 4 week she I much more info to attend.

In the meantime, I baked muffins this morning and haven't needed any meds today - not even Tylenol. Dressing was a bit easier ( still going braless, though) and was even able to finally clean under the arm. Little victories can really raise the spirits!

@SaraK this one handed typing is getting old! my first day was pretty rough as well. went to my first pt eval Tuesday. fortunately they are still open. it felt so good to have my arm stretched. today I did the simple exercises. hopefully ill sleep better tonight. each day gets a but better. cabin fever is setting in here and tensions are high at time. sure hope this virus runs its course. faster than expected.

Hey Sara glad you got to have your surgery and that you have recovered well from it :loveshwr: Sounds like you have a lot of support and help which is great !!!! I’ll be sending you lots of healing prayers and hopefully this will be the last surgery that you will have to endure:giggle:

@momweb - like other surgeries, so many different protocols. My surgeon doesn't permit any PT and doesn't release you from the sling until 6 weeks. I asked about shoulder shrugs or rolls and told no - can only move fingers and wrist.

SaraK glad to hear things are going well for you and your pain is in check. well done, now just don't over do things. take care and be safe.

Hello Sara...I hope you had a good day. You picked a good time for recovery as most all of us are laying low also.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend. :)
@SaraK

Thanks, Layla! Actually, things are busy at the office (which is operating remotely now) and I've participated in a few calls this week and will need to pitch in more next week (but still limited).

Things with the arm continue to improve every day. I actually see it most in the short time without a sling now. Not about to compete in a weightlifting competition but ok with the incremental improvements for now.

Hi, Sara. Glad things are improving and you’re able to be safe and work from home. My husband and son are working from home and my other 2 sons have been laid off. I may have a full household again if this goes on too much longer. Only one week with my husband and I’m looking for ways to have him work in a closet...in the basement...with the door locked...from the outside! :rotfl: JK but it is an adjustment. Yet, I’m glad he’s home safe. I still go to work as a respiratory therapist but it is in a long term/rehab pulmonary unit facility, so out of the fray for now. Continued good healing and health. Be safe. ❤️ Pat

Oh, my @Hip4life - I hope you are able to stay out of the fray! This is a hard time for all of us but some are affected more than others. My oldest son just got his first job after masters in engineering. Started working for home after first week but seems like it's safe. My other son is finishing his freshman year of college remotely. Luckily I will be able to work for home

@SaraK it's funny, at my preop I could have sworn the surgeon said pt after 4 weeks. i guess he changed his mind. nights are still the worse for me. I'm not taking any pain meds just icing and a muscle relaxant if needed. need a few more warm sunny days. glad to hear you are doing well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back