THR Sarah Bee (Re)Learns to Walk.

Brave? You must be talking about someone else! :scare:

Seriously, all shall be well.

I'm happy for you, Sarah
Seriously, the lead up to the surgery seems to be the worst part for many. Thankfully in only hours, surgery will finally be behind you. Everything will move quickly tomorrow. They keep you pretty busy until they take you into the OR, next thing you know you're walking up in recovery in disbelief it's finally over. It's a great feeling though. Don't fear recovery either. Things fall into place pretty quickly and the weeks start clicking by.

Prayers for your comfort and peace of mind as you await tomorrow.

Following are the Recovery Guidelines that you may want to read if you have time. I couldn't absorb the info for weeks after surgery and wished I had read the articles ahead of time.
Sending a hug :friends:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @SarahBee

Last edited:
That's wonderful @SarahBee ! That's about the same time of day that I had mine & yep, back and awake (ok, groggy really) in time to get lunch. We're all there with you in spirit, cheering you on! You'll be feeling so much better soon!

Bye bye hip pain...you are going to get a hip pain free life back!:egypdance:

All the best mojo coming your way!:angel:

And here it is! The day I thought would never come is here! In a few hours, I expect to be free of this awful OA pain and just dealing with "normal" surgical pains. Thank you to everyone who held my hand, gave me a shoulder to cry on or cheered me up and on in any way.

It has been an adventure and I am looking forward to the next chapter. Blessings to you all.

We're thinking of you. I'm sure you're out of surgery by now.
I hope you're resting comfortably. Ask for ice if they're not providing it. Works wonders for pain and swelling.
Sending a hug :friends: yahoo for surgery in the rear view! :happydance:
@SarahBee

And here I am.... My spinal turned into GA and I have had trouble waking and staying awake :sleep:

Flying low and feeling grand! Have had a surgeon visit.... Not much need for PT, walking, gentle.movement, stairs. Going home tomorrow with pt, pain meds and aspirin. No socks,so far!

:alarm:

Way to go Sarahbee!!!!! I knew that you would do it! I’m hoping to head home in an hour. PT scheduled tomorrow BUT if I don’t think I’m ready I’ll postpone. But this is about YOU and your recovery. I’m super proud of you hipster!!! Hugs for a great restful night sleep.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson