THR SAPPER-RET Recovery Thread

Mojo333

Staff member since August 15, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Sounds like you doing this recovery the right way, slow and steady! Good for you.

I just had to remind myself often -
Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing... If a long full step right now is causing pain and limping, don't take long full steps. Take smaller steps. Take a short walk several times a day, instead of longer walks. Use your cane. Use ice. Rest a lot.

This isn't the time to do anything to excess. Baby steps now, and lots of patience, pays off big time later. Recovering from self-induced tendinitis can end up taking weeks or months. Consider yourself as still recovering from surgery and structure your return to your life as a slow, gradual process where you introduce very small increments in activity, and then give yourself time to see how you react to it.

All temporary, and worth the patience. I am certainly glad I am able to get back to a full happy life.:tada:

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Lots of good news! @SAPPER-RET
It is reassuring to see your surgeon and hear all is well. Try concentrating on heel-toe walking and see if it helps with balance. This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It does take a concentrated effort, at least it felt that way when my PT first demonstrated it to me, but I did feel more in control of the rather sloppy gait I developed as my hip deteriorated. Give it a try!

Enjoy the weekend chillin :ice:and taking it easy. Thanks for taking the time to update.

OP
OP
S

SAPPER-RET

Country
Week 4 Day 5, Doing more activities outside with the cane only, (my motivator)> I had to keep up with watering my plants/grass, it keeps me moving and has help with my swelling foot. The Home Health Care Team will be ending next week, and I need to decide if I desire more therapy by going to outpatient Therapy or start my on program. I still have some bumpy muscle's up & down the OP Leg but every week I notice more strength, less pain and better mobility. For this week I will be focusing on the surgical area, most of my discomfort comes from this area. Well my Follow up APPT is Thursday, recovery moving slow/fast.

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Sounds like your recovery is moving right along. Best wishes for your follow up appointment on Wednesday. It will be one day before your one month anniversary.
Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for stopping by with an update. Enjoy the rest of the weekend! :SUNsmile:
@SAPPER-RET

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope your appointment went well yesterday.
Have a wonderful week!
@SAPPER-RET

OP
OP
S

SAPPER-RET

Country
So far so good, had a good look over by the medical staff no longer under Home Health care, start Outpatient Therapy and Condition on Monday. I have been walking more and not doing all the prescribe exercises, so I am ready for some conditioning, I am mainly walking with the cane for most of the day and using the walker once fatigue sets in during daily activity. I am hopeful that I can start going back to the gym and do some upper body work and maybe get in the pool for some aerobics. I still have some slight pain in my crouch area and leg swelling, but it is mostly when I am up walking but I know with time this will pass. Until next time take care!

OP
OP
S

SAPPER-RET

Country
My doctors visit went well, he had me walk up and down the hallway without the cane, I was totally worried about nothing, leg is getting stronger, but he notice I was short stepping and leaning, need to gain some strength and Strech more, he now wants me to start walking in the house without the cane for short periods of time. Today I went to the gym and exercise my entire body using the nautilus equipment, it felt so good to work out and I had no pain. Tomorrow it is the stationary bike and sauna, WHOA.

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Thanks for the update. It's good to hear your doctor visit went well. Heel-toe walking really helps steady your gait. To me, it felt unnatural and took concentration and dedication. You may want to try it and see how it feels.

If unfamiliar, heel-toe walking involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.Try it and see if you notice a difference.
Good luck with out patient therapy tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.
@SAPPER-RET

Here is a visual on Heel-Toe Walking
1633975544223.jpeg

InkedMarie

post-grad
Country
A sauna? Come visit me in NH. Walk outside and there’s your sauna!

Marie

OP
OP
S

SAPPER-RET

Country
I had problems scheduling my Physical Therapy, it was too far to drive and would require me to drive 40 minutes each way two times a week, so I made my own plan for strengthen and stretching. Full body work out using nautilus machine and swim walking for 40 minutes three times a week, and two days of stretching and sauna, I am hopeful this will help to get back to a normal walk using the heel to toe method that @Layla recommends. I have notice when i walk without the cane my OP leg is still weak, so I walk like an infant taking its first steps. Yesterday I used the nautilus and swim/walk in the pool, I have some soreness but no high level of pain, I still take a half of pain pill thru out the day and ice/elevate but I am on the downside of the meds WHOA, well until next week

Last edited:

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
A belated Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing with your exercising? I hope you're taking it slow, easy and not dealing with pain afterward. I'd hate to see you stall your recovery. We'd love to read about your progress when you have time to share an update. Take good care!
@SAPPER-RET

OP
OP
S

SAPPER-RET

Country
12 Weeks WHOA, to everyone on the forum I want to say thank you for giving advice and for the encouragement. As of today, I am walking a lot without the cane using my cane only when my OP leg gets tired. I am swimming laps/treading and power walking in the pool, lifting weights upper and lower body and as each week goes by, I feel my OP leg gaining more continuity with my body, it is starting to feel more like my leg. I had early beliefs that I would be doing a lot further in the recovery process that I am however I learn quick not to rush this, it only takes one mental or physical mistake and it can lead to a longer period for recovery or worst. I am no longer under any Ortho Doctor he told me to keep up the physical exercise and walk more without the cane and my recovery will be on track. He reinforce some the information that this forum has offer to others, each person recovery is unique, listen to your body, the hip can heal without alot of strenuous and painful physical therapy early in the recovery. Well my journey continues I wish everyone hip blessing, untill the next time CHOW.

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
What an uplifting post @SAPPER-RET I'm happy for you!
Thanks for stopping by to share the good news and positivity. May it only keep getting better.
Stay in touch! :wave:

Mojo333

Staff member since August 15, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@SAPPER-RET
:yahoo:
Thanks for the reinforcing words and I still remember the amazing feeling of knowing this hip "cure" really did work.

Hope you have a great weekend.

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Missed it yesterday. Wishing you a great rest of the week!
@SAPPER-RET

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Annie3791
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom