THR SAPPER-RET Recovery Thread

subie2021

senior
Country
United States United States
I think it depends on what the very early pt entails.
My home pt guys wanted to see how I got around with the walker, had me get up from and back into my recliner to see if I was doing it in a way that protected my hip, checked that I was doing quad sets, heel slides, and ankle pumps correctly, and helped me to get that old log leg to cooperate with my brain. I was glad to have those guys around, they were very helpful for showing us how to make me more comfortable and safe.
Week Two exercises had to do with balance and proprioception/kinesthesia which tends to get lost on some of us as we get more and more debilitated.
But bridges, clamshells, and squats? Heck no! :no-fin: Save that strengthening stuff for way later on if you need it.

OP
OP
S

SAPPER-RET

Country
Week 1 Day 5 @Doglover7 , I am using my recliner for most of my sleep and rest time, I had plan this PREOP, but I have use a long belt to get my leg on the bed then position my pillow as close to my OP leg as possible then use my non OP leg to push it under my leg. (Difficult at times). The PT personnel was here at 1500 and started the measurements on my leg length and strength, we did very little exercising on the OP leg. The only exercising I have been doing is toe raises, glut tighten, leg raises, push thighs out and in and squeezing a small ball with my legs. She too was not for doing much exercising besides looking at me walk around the house and adjusting my walker accordingly and discussing icing, the strengthen will happen next week. I will not be the (ODIC). We also discuss my pain managing plan, (I was taking 2 opioid pills every 6 hours when I first had my surgery, after I was release on Tuesday I only took 1 opioid with a Tylenol, she recommend 1 opioid and a Morton pill to help with the swelling, I agreed with her. It is now 0300 in the morning I woke up with some pain in both legs, I believe due to me lying in the recliner so I am now walking around and sitting in my back up computer chair that will recline slightly but is more cushion sturdy to break up the routine. @Layla , I mention that once I was rolled into the operating room the Dr. and staff prayed over me, this was another reason I chose this Dr. my coworker wife had the same team and once I heard this I believe he and his team was right for me and also their highly medical reviews. (For me) I believe your mind, body and soul is the pathway to build an overall wellbeing. A healthy body keeps you well and active. A healthy mind keeps you focused and engaged. A healthy soul keeps you fulfilled and content, it works for me! Well its time for some apple juice and Mr. Meds (LOL), Oh ya I did pulled up the Bone forum and show the PT personnel my journal she like it and will discuss it with her colleagues. I am out!

Last edited:

Doglover7

Country
I just figured out the recliner trick. I am on Day 3 today and slept in the recliner last night, best sleep of all 3 days. Leg is swollen this am as I didn't elevate in the recliner. I was using the 3 pillows stacked that I saw on this forum. Icing now but will try the strap to get leg onto pillows a bit later. Sapper-ret sounds like we are 2 days apart from surgery.

OP
OP
S

SAPPER-RET

Country
keep up the icing and elevating, I have read on this forum it also good idea to put a plastic bag under your butt before sitting and this will help with you turning your body onto the bed, I tried it and it works also. The PT personnel told me that the more I walk within my tolerance the better my leg swollenness will go down and keeping it elevated and icing. My pain level has been better than I thought, but after she adjusted my walker to have me straight up and down as I walk the pain came back a little. Last night I woke up and had a heck of a time going back but I will try and try again and this two will past.

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I have read on this forum it also good idea to put a plastic bag under your butt before sitting and this will help with you turning your body onto the bed, I tried it and it works also.
Works in the car also to swivel easily to face the windshield. Movement does help with swelling. “Motion Is Lotion” good one, eh?! :wink:
Don‘t over do it though.

Eman85

supremo
Country
One tip about THR recovery, you won't feel pain while you're doing things. You won't get the bill for it until the next day. If you do reach the point of feeling it while you're doing it you will have passed your entry exam for ODIC and gone right on to full fledged graduate.

OP
OP
S

SAPPER-RET

Country
Week 1 Day 6, I still have some swollen and minor pain on my hip, I have been elevating and icing like frosty the snow man, took a couple of walks and just realize I am coming up on my 1-week anniversary, WHOA! For the most part the biggest issue I am having is getting a constant sleep pattern, I get a couple hours here and there, I sleep but it is broken up in intervals. I will update soon.

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
All sounds normal, Frosty. Keep icing. :ice:
Sleep will regulate, pain will ease. A week post op already tomorrow! I remember that was the first milestone I wanted to reach after surgery.
Happy One Week Anniversary a few hours early. Hope you have a nice week!
@SAPPER-RET

Mojo333

Staff member since August 15, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Sleep definitely was an issue for me too @SAPPER-RET :oyvey:
I was so sleep deprived due to hip pain prior to my hip replacements that I got very frustrated.
My legs only stayed comfortable for a short time in one position, and I was constantly changing positions.
I tried not napping so as to get some consecutive hours, but that didn't really help.
I found it was really okay to get up and wander about (quietly and carefully) at night as it helped to get up and move around.
So powernaps these early days were definitely my go-to and these are your early days.

All Temporary....
Hope today is a good day.

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
Hello and Happy Friday! :wave:
I want to caution you about the squats.
Squats can cause generalized tendinitis particularly in quads, glutes and hamstrings.
I will leave an article from the BoneSmart Library in regard to sensible post op therapy. It’s your body, so you decide what you’re comfortable with. You’re doing well and I don’t want to see you land in the ODIC (over did it club)
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/bonesmart-philosophy-for-post-op-therapy.37103/

Sorry about the muscle spasms. If they continue, you may want to consider magnesium.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

If you’re not already, try elevation for the swelling.
I hope you have a great Friday and weekend. Thanks for sharing an update. Keep in touch! :)
@SAPPER-RET
I was told to stop my magnesium …I guess I should ask if I can restart. I have terrible spasms from my spine surgery.

Lyla

Country
Canada Canada
Week 1 Day 6, I still have some swollen and minor pain on my hip, I have been elevating and icing like frosty the snow man, took a couple of walks and just realize I am coming up on my 1-week anniversary, WHOA! For the most part the biggest issue I am having is getting a constant sleep pattern, I get a couple hours here and there, I sleep but it is broken up in intervals. I will update soon.
Your doing fantastic. I had some bad swelling around that same time. I’m on week 5. My sleep is on and off. More off lately from staying on my back so much.
The ice can get a bit chilly but this time of year it’s welcomed some days. The pain fades to annoying as a reminder at times but more manageable without meds.
Time in recovery does fly! It seems like a week has gone by but it’s 5. As restless and bored as I get it does seem to go so fast.

OP
OP
S

SAPPER-RET

Country
Week 2 Day 2, For the first time I feel like my OP leg is longer than the non-OP leg. The PT adjusted my walker and wanted me to walk more up right, I can now feel the difference. Still sleeping in intervals but at least I'm getting some sleep just not like before the surgery, going to try sleeping in my bed for the first time in months to break up the bored routine. My leg is still swollen, and I have been icing and elevating for two days but it does feel better with less tightness. I feel those muscle spasms and electric tingling in my upper hip area and crouch, no pain and I believe it is expected to happen. Well, I will make calls to the Dr. office again today it seems that if my Orth Dr. is not available the others Dr. cannot cover down on non-emergency issues in my case a refill on my meds, had to really stretch out my last three pain pills to make it today, (not good patient care practice). Update soon

InkedMarie

post-grad
Country
Hello and Happy Friday! :wave:
I want to caution you about the squats.
Squats can cause generalized tendinitis particularly in quads, glutes and hamstrings.
I will leave an article from the BoneSmart Library in regard to sensible post op therapy. It’s your body, so you decide what you’re comfortable with. You’re doing well and I don’t want to see you land in the ODIC (over did it club)
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/bonesmart-philosophy-for-post-op-therapy.37103/

Sorry about the muscle spasms. If they continue, you may want to consider magnesium.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

If you’re not already, try elevation for the swelling.
I hope you have a great Friday and weekend. Thanks for sharing an update. Keep in touch! :)
@SAPPER-RET
I was told to stop my magnesium …I guess I should ask if I can restart. I have terrible spasms from my spine surgery.
Who told you to stop the magnesium and why?

Marie

OP
OP
S

SAPPER-RET

Country
Week 2 Day 3 @Lnkedmaria, I have brought some assorted nuts and spinach to help increase the magnesium, Thanks for the advice. On the squats I am only doing baby squats which means lowering no further than two, three inches, it has help me to lower and raise myself from the sitting position. I was using the one leg at a time stride with the walker and today I started using a small stand up straight full stride, it feels wearied, since I have been walking with a cane for over a year my whole body needs to adjust, no pain but I seem to walk crooked, I do not want to overdo it, so this is going to take some time to get adjusted. I have also notice going to the bathroom a lot, most people experience this right after surgery, I guess I am late bloomer. Will update soon.

Sohowarrior

Country
It sounds as if you are being patient and listening to your body, so important in those first few weeks. My surgeon had me discontinue all my vitamins and supplements from the week before surgery until my 6 week follow up appointment, that included an algae based calcium/magnesium supplement. I’m assuming there was concern about possible interaction with other medications.
My 3 month anniversary is on Tuesday (posterior approach right hip). I am one of the fortunate souls who has so far had a rapid and easy recovery. And with guidance from my PT, I did incorporate non weight bearing squats, clamshells and bridges into my daily exercise, and found them very useful. I’m still doing them and have added some heavier resistance bands on the bridges. Obviously, this approach is not for everyone in the early stages of recovery, but I hope you will consider these as your pain decreases and your walking improves (it will). I’m focused a lot on glute strength and balance work now., I expect that will continue over the next few months as I continue to heal. Best to you!

OP
OP
S

SAPPER-RET

Country
Week 3 Day 1, My walking has improved tremendously but my OP leg is still very weak, I tried walking with the cane around the house just to see how it felt and my balance was way off, will keep the walker until my first appt 7 July. I have notice I can now get up from my couch and chairs without assistance and have I been walking with the walker full stride heel to toe, had some pain on the first two days of walking but that too has pass, I keep icing and elevating my leg so much it always felt cold, I am cutting back just a little bit. The home health team have been amazing, it keeps me from having to drive back and forth to the hospital and PT. Well, I will update soon.

subie2021

senior
Country
Nice update!
Ask your home health person for help with using your cane. My awesome pt from last summer told me that lots of people need a little help with canes, anything from setting the right height to using it in the correct hand.
Happy healing!

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
:wave:Good luck with your appointment on Thursday. Let us know how it goes.
A great week to you!
@SAPPER-RET

Eman85

supremo
Country
Here's what I did to practice walking and wean myself off of the walker and cane. I went shopping. I found that I could use the shopping cart as a walker and no one knew I was in any way rehabbing. Also the store and the parking lot are flat which is a big deal around me as there's little flat ground to walk on. I could walk slow and practice form and also stop and rest when I needed. The cart was also protection from anyone bumping me.

OP
OP
S

SAPPER-RET

Country
Week 3 Day 5, Seen the Dr. and had stitches removed and Xray's taken, so far everything is good. I was directed to relax on the PT for two days due to my OP leg and ankle still has some swelling and I needed to ice more and elevate to bring it down. In my OP leg I have notice muscle spasm and waves of tingling, but I know it is positive sign of healing, at time I still feel my crouch, but it is not very painful, I only notice when I do a lot of walking with the cane. I have been released to drive and go back to work since I telework, but I am taking some time for me (a week) to get back on a scheduled work time. I have been doing walks with the cane by walking around the house and not going more then 20 Ft from the house. Once I am in a room, I have been practicing pushing my walker or cane to the side and using tables and counters to move around and I can almost get up from chairs without any assistance. I have walk outside using my cane to water my grass and plants and have notice my balance is off due to my OP leg, this will take some time to get back, but the journey has started. I believe it was @Layla that said I will notice improvements weekly more than daily, she is right, every week I notice better gait and better strength in my OP leg as I walk. So, for the weekend it will be some walking with the cane/walker, icing and elevate but with no exercising. Week 4 coming up, time is moving slow/fast but moving. SAPPER OUT!

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    OneStep AMBASSADOR ..Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics