BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

sansabosa needs a revision

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by sansabosa, Dec 1, 2018.

1. sansabosa

sansabosa senior

Turkey Turkey
    Hi @bottomshollow

I am back to the site 5 years after my R-THR but this time for my other hip which I had THR 20 years ago when I was 35 years old

Revision Surgery is scheduled for Dec 19, 2018.

I am a bit worried and anxious because the material used 20 years ago no longer exists on the market and the OS mentioned he will probably need to change the cup only but this creates compatability issue of the rest of the 20 yr old prostheses (taper /cone part) and there is also bone loss (osteolysis) around the cup area due to polyethilene structure of the acetabular cup...complicated.

In short worried a lot of the outcome...

2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Maybe @Josephine, our orthopedic nurse guru, can weigh in on this.
    Technology has come so far. Try not to worry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sansabosa

sansabosa senior

Turkey Turkey
    Thank you @Mojo333 for hearing and being with me, very valuable
    The more I read about “revision surgery” outcomes the more anxious I feel...I am aware that mind seeks and captures the negative and am trying to distract my mind and welcome whatever will happen. However, anxiety does pop up from time to time, probably the fear of not being able to pursue an active lifestyle. I am still working...
    I do not have pain in the hip and ROM is pretty good. It is due to wearing out and bone loss that the OS advised not to postpone any further...the good part it lasted for 20 years...
    In the interim, I am trying to relax my body and soul by other means like swimming, breathing techniques, etc...

4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @sansabosa I've created you a new thread because I didn't want to discuss your case in the SuperNova thread.
    If it's 20 years old, I would suggest that it might be unlikely he will be able to just replace the cup. Probably be better if he replaces the entire thing.

However, don't get yourself steamed up about it. It's no more difficult or complex than the original hip replacement and your recovery will also be about the same too. Try to be calm and expect the best because the chances are that that's what it will be!

• Like Like x 2
  5. sansabosa

sansabosa senior

Turkey Turkey
    Thank you dear Josephine for your wisdom and support

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I have a lot of confidence in what Josephine says. She was an orthopedic nurse for many, many years and worked with surgeons who did some of the first joint replacements. She knows what she is talking about. Since she says it isn’t any more complicated that getting a replacement, I’m sure that is correct. It’s much better to think positive as you wait. Your date will soon be here and I’m sure you will make out just fine. Sending positive healing wishes your way!

7. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @sansabosa Welcome back to BoneSmart! I am sure your revision will be fine. Trust your surgeon and the team. Technology has come a long way. We will be here for you!

8. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi,
    Sorry you need to go through the revision. I would take comfort in Josephine's words as she's seen it all in her lengthy career in Orthopedics. Your date will be here soon and you'll be on the road to recovery. I'll bet you do great! We will be here to cheer you on and encourage you along the way. Warmest wishes for your comfort as you wait. @sansabosa