BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Sandy’s recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Sandy55, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Sandy55

Sandy55 new member

Australia Australia
    Hi everyone, I am in Australia and came across this forum and have found it very interesting. I had my THR on 18th March so 13 days post op. I feel pretty good, totally sick of sleeping on my back, that is a real killer. I try and walk around the house a fair bit with my walker. Doing my exercises 3 times a day and going to Physio weekly (although the first week he hurt me ) My hip pain is mild to moderate most of the time, obviously worse when I first get up. I Amy taking Targin and Celebrex
    Every 12 hours and Panadol in between, I also have Endone if I need it.
    I find it very interesting that a lot of people talk about using ice for their hip pain, I have not heard of that before but it sounds like it has worked well for a lot of you
    I do have pain at the back of my calf which is annoying, it feels like muscular from exercise but it doesn’t hurt when I exercise, does anyone else have this?
    Thanx Sandy

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome to BoneSmart and the other side of surgery. Yes indeed - ice is your friend. It helps ease the swelling that causes pain. Ice 45-60 minutes several times per day. It really works.

Easy does it with the exercising. Hips don't really need all that. Is your pain in the hamstring? Very gentle hamstring stretches from a seated position might help ease this.

I'll leave your recovery guideline here so that you can refer to them when needed. There is a very good article on icing you might want to start with.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
    6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    :wave:Welcome to the hippie side of Bonesmart. Lots of great advice here.

:ice:, :ice:, and more :ice:
    Great pain reliever and anti-inflammatory and just all around a big part of my recovery.
    My hospital never iced my leg after surgery or suggested I do it when I got home (unless I was too fogged out and missed it):shrug:
    Early days for you and things will keep getting better!:tada:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fit4Family

Fit4Family senior

Hello @Sandy55 You are two days ahead of me. Sounds like you are doing very well. I have had muscle tightness too, mostly my glutes. Arms ache too from the walker.

I’m curious about how long to ice. I am assuming it’s most important for swelling. Are you still swollen?

5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
    Congratulations on your new hip. I echo the above. Ice is great for pain and swelling and I iced often.

As far as the calf pain, if it continues and is bothering you, I'd call the office of the OS and I'm sure through a series of questions they'll be able to offer you some reassurance.

Side sleeping will come, I didn't like it either and had to adjust to back sleeping also. Surprisingly, I now sleep on my back about half the time :shrug: Following is an article on laying on your side -
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/thr-laying-on-my-back-when-can-this-be-done.32099/

Stop back often, we'd love to support you on your healing journey.
    Wishing you a peaceful Sunday and great week ahead!
    @Sandy55

• Like Like x 1
  6. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

Ice is where it's at and not just for swelling. I was fortunate that my parting gift from the hospital was an icing machine. It was a great friend and very user friendly. It did not get put away until about 4 months post op. I did not take pain medication for very long and I'd say the icing is what helped the most. My OS also warned me to stay away from any outside PT, his words "they will hurt you".

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sandy55

Sandy55 new member

Australia Australia
    Thanks ladies, I think I will have to try the ice therapy. Do you just put it on the op site, how long......it is getting cold over where I am so doesn’t sound pleasant but sounds like the way to go. I have an appt with my Physio today but if he hurts me again it will be my last one, I normally think they are the way to go but for this I am having my doubts, I think this group forum would be more helpful

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Ice over the hip, groin, thigh. Anywhere you have pain and/or swelling. 45-60 minutes each time at least 4/5 times a day. I hate being cold but got convinced on ice here after my 1st surgery and was amazed at how much it helped. I will be asking for it in hospital this surgery.

When you feel up to read through those recovery articles Jaycey posted up top. Lots of great information there. :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sandy55

Sandy55 new member

Australia Australia
    Hi, I have a bit of swelling around my op site but getting more swelling in my foot and calf are, mainly my foot. I feel I am doing pretty good but always worried about dislocation, I have an old dog, a Chihuahua x Papillon that wants to be picked up and cuddled all the time and when hubby is at work I just can’t leave him crying at my feet so I bend down to get him but think I am just at my 90 degree limit, probably shouldn’t be doing it but poor little man doesn’t understand my husband would kill me if I dislocated due to this!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sandy55

Sandy55 new member

Australia Australia
    2 weeks post op today, so glad I found this group, so many helpful thing to read
    What do most of you do with your day at this stage of recovery, my husband is back at work and I am getting pretty bored ?

11. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

If you have a 90* restriction and posterior approach look up the golfers bend for dog petting and picking things up. Dislocation isn't a joke, you can find threads on here where people have dislocated, not something you want.
    PT is not the way to go with this deal. A THR is a different deal than anything else in the trauma your muscles go through. They have to heal first before you put any strain on them, any strain just causes setbacks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fit4Family

Fit4Family senior

My doctor really scared me about the 90 degree rule. So I carry a grabber with me on my walker and have one in bathroom. Doesn’t help with your little dog. That’s hard.

I am bored too. I’m going to ask a friend to pick up books at our library this week. I’ve read everything I have multiple times. Watching a few shows on Amazon Prime.

Swollen in feet too. Does not go away even after sleeping 8 hours.

13. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Having had 2 hip ops last year I recognise what you are all saying.
    Eman85 is right about picking the dog up using the golfers bend. Its the only way to keep yourself safe from dislocation.
    Although I wasn't swollen around the hip I did have swelling down in the ankle and foot. It made getting shoes on very difficult. It didn't last for too long though so hopefully yours will go away soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Is it possible to coax your pup to hop up on small footstool or stack of pillows so you don't have to reach so far down.
    I have a small old dog too...he is also spoiled.
    He'd rather have me lift him than attempt this himself.

15. Sandy55

Sandy55 new member

Australia Australia
    Thanks, yes I did see the golfers bend on this forum and I am going to practice it. Thank you

16. Sandy55

Sandy55 new member

Australia Australia
    LOL, sounds exactly like my Taz......spoilt and lazy My husband has just been home for two days so he has been doing all the picking up. I am practicing the golfers bend for when he goes back to work

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sandy55

Sandy55 new member

Australia Australia
    Hi, yes I have my grabber with me everywhere I go, I seem to be dropping everything lately I guess the boredom is inevitable, this forum has helped though with lots of stuff to read and my exercise routine and walking is increasing now so I guess it won’t be long and I will be back at work and wishing I was still lazing around

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    I hope you will still be off work for a good while yet! For boredom, do you have Netflix, interest in knitting/crochet, puzzles, adult colouring books? I am mostly binge watching cooking shows on Netflix :)

19. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy One Month Anniversary!
    I hope you're doing well.
    Would love to hear of your progress next time you're on the forum. Also please leave which hip you had replaced so the info can be applied to your signature.
    Have a great weekend and a happy Easter!
    @Sandy55

20. Sandy55

Sandy55 new member

Australia Australia
    Thank you Layla, I have been busy reading lots of threads re recovery. I am going really well, I am not having to use a cane or anything although if I am outside walking it is with my husband and if I am on my own I prefer to use a cane. I find bed pretty uncomfortable, I lay on my operated side (right side) and it feels like I am am laying on a lumpy brick:groan:but if I lay on my good side I am worried my right leg will fall over my good side while asleep. I have had enough from laying on my back but it seems the only was to go really. I tried a pillow between my legs but was a but painful. I have a fair bit of groin pain and that only started when my physio pulled my leg over towards him and now I seem to be getting a fair bit of groin pain. Mt outer thigh where my scar is sore when I first get up to walk but gets better after a few steps. I probably need to walk more instead of doing all of the exercises I have. Thanks Sandy

• Like Like x 1