THR Same day/Outpatient info needed

subie2021

senior
Country
United States United States
Hello all!
Can anyone give me a little information about what goes on with same day surgery? My surgeon agrees to let me try for it, and I agreed if it doesn't work out to stay overnight.
What I can't seem to find anywhere is what to take to the hospital for same day. Are the clothes I came in with enough? Extra undies? Cell phone?
My little folder says to bring a robe for overnights. Do I need one for same day?
If I wind up staying over, do I need my own pajamas? I was planning on packing a little bag and leaving it in the car, and DH could bring it to me if I need to stay.

And how about your SO or whoever? What did they do all day? I need to be there at 730, surgery at 1030. I'm fine with DH basically dropping me off and coming back to get me later. He feels better sticking around but with the covid precautions that's going to be a long day for him, sitting around in a mask watching HGTV in the waiting area. Especially since he is definitely not a sit still type guy. We live about 30 miles/40 minutes from the hospital, so would like to minimize trips. We also have animals to care for. What worked for you?

Thanks so much for any input. I had my prehab day today, and surgery is Tuesday. None of the folks I talked to at the various offices were helpful about any of this, and there isn't anything on the hospital's website. GAH! They tell what *not* to bring, but nothing about what I might need.

I think it is hard to leave the hospital when your other half is having surgery. So, have your husband drive you to the hospital and sit with you while you wait. Then, he can wait until the doc tells him that you are out of surgery and doing well. (About two-three hours after you arrive)

He can then go home, relax take care of the critters and come back when you call him to say either you are going home and he can come to pick you up at ____. Or, you are spending the night and he can bring the bag up to your room.

In order to leave, you have to pee and eat and drink. Also You have to have the PTs come by to show you how to get in and out of bed and how to go up and down stairs. Assuming that you can do that, you can go home. Several people have told me that they have had to wait for the PT--sometimes they are not free until late afternoon. or early evening.
It would be good to have a book or something to look at for yourself ( i have an old amazon tablet I thought I would take with me so that I don't die of boredom!!)

It is an inact thing to get sprung, so I am sure your husband will not want to wait around all day, once he knows you are okay, he can go home and come back later. And if you do need to spend the night, he can bring your stuff up to you.

@subie2021 I'd suggest pack as if you were going to stay over night ... just in case you need to. Usually with day surgeries you do go home late afternoon or evening but IF you had any complications or had any serious medical problems come up, the hospital and surgeon would have you stay over night just to be sure you are OK. Usually following joint replacement being ready for discharge means being able to get up, walk on your own with a walker or crutches, going to the bathroom, being able to go up and down a short flight of stairs, etc.

As for your husband ... most hospitals I know of have some way of notifying patient's support person of patient's progress during and after surgery. The hospital I was at for my surgeries had a special beeper they gave to support person that tracked me through the day. Also used this to notify support person that I was out of surgery and surgeon wanted to talk to them. Whether this is a special beeper or using cell phone - either way I'd say your husband could go on about his day - or wait for a while if he chooses. But yeah he'd probably be bored just sitting around the hospital.

Best f luck to you :flwrysmile:

Thank you both for helping me with your experience and information. It's much appreciated.
The last time I had big surgery was 20 years ago and things were a lot different then...3-4 day stays that were almost like spa days (only I didn't emerge looking any better :rotfl: ).
I think I have a better handle on how things work and I'm sure we'll work it out. How great is it to have a resource like bonesmart? Pretty darn great!

I slept in that hospital robe that you wear--you know, the baggy one that ties together in the back.

Pack a robe if you want and have your hubby keep it in the car. If you are held overnight, you're not going to be dressed in street clothes during the day. Bring several days of your medications, whatever you take. Usually you give these to the nurses and they keep them locked up and give to you as needed as fits with the surgery. But again, you can probably just keep this in the car since this is outpatient.

Hubby can go eat when surgery happens. In the pre-covid days, people would go to the hospital cafeteria and eat and read the paper or walk around until the surgery ends. My surgeon called my sister when the surgery was done. She then was sent to the room where I was to be brought. Most likely you're having a spinal with sedation, so when you wake up you'll be quite cognitively sharp.

Definitely have hubby sit with you as you enter (unless there is a covid protocol against that). The wait before surgery, after you've taken off your clothes and the nurses are setting things up around you--confirming all the key information and prepping things, that's the most frightening moment of the surgery. That's when you want hubby there to hold your hand--literally and figuratively--and so you don't feel so alone.

Don't worry about hubby. Oddly enough, he'll also be scared most likely and somehow that time between check-in and surgery--somehow it goes by fast. It's not a boring time when he'll be sitting around fidgeting. I've done multiple surgeries (on both sides--as caretaker and as patient) and for whatever reason that prep time goes fast. It's not boring for the caretaker. If the caretaker isn't there, their anxiety is actually worse because they're just disconnected. Trust me when I say: let your hubby take care of you.

In fact, I'm gonna go bolder and say, in order to have a decent recovery, stop worrying about hubby! Hubby will be fine taking care of the person he loves. If you over-worry about him while you really need to be focused on yourself, you'll be making the surgery the recovery more difficult than it needs to be. You would be there for him. Let him fully be there for you right now. This will actually calm his nerves.

It looks like you already have some good suggestions @subie2021. I'll leave you our pre-surgery guidelines below.
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

More thanks ^^^
@Going4fun, you are so correct, my DH will be happy to be my support system on surgery day. I tend to focus on what's going on but his eyes and ears will be a wonderful backup. He's the best, and won't even mind holding my purse LOL. I'm grateful that you posted and gave me a perspective I had pushed aside.
This place is awesome.

What I can't seem to find anywhere is what to take to the hospital for same day. Are the clothes I came in with enough? Extra undies? Cell phone?

I experienced my THR at a surgery center and was to be released within 23 hrs.
I was instructed to bring street clothes to be put on in recovery, before I went to my actual room…Huh?!!! :shrug: I decided I’d bring something I could comfortably walk the halls in, sleep in and be discharged in. Wouldn’t even have this outfit on for 24 hrs. My choice was soft cotton, loose yoga style pants with an elasticized waist and a comfy roomy t-shirt of the same color. When it came time for the nurse to help me dress, I begged off putting on the miserable bra, she laughed and couldn’t have cared less. I chose roomy clothes, as soft as my favorite pj’s in a dark shade, allowing me to get by without the bra. It worked great and I changed when I got home. I brought my cell phone, toothbrush, toothpaste, a change of underwear and deodorant, that was about it. I had to send my hubby to a nearby store to buy me some Chapstick as something really dried out my lips, so you may want to bring along some lip balm.

Wow…three days to go. You’re getting close. I wish you lots of comfort and peace of mind as you wait. Happy Saturday! :)
@subie2021

Layla,
So was your soft comfy outfit the clothes you wore into the center, or something extra?
Between covid and the hip, my wardrobe is well stocked with soft knit pants, shorts and shirts. My bra drawer went through a major purge, but there are a few survivors that will *not* be going to the hospital with the pants and tee :heehee:
A snug little cami will work just fine.
Thanks!

I had soft pull on cotton shorts, a baggy t-shirt, sports bra, and slide on shoes. Pretty much had the same outfit packed in case I needed it, didnt. Was only in my go to hospital outfit on the way to hospital so that was about thirty minutes tops. Figured what the heck, why dirty more laundry! :heehee: Unfortunately knew I was going to have to stay at least one night.

Had my cell phone and my kindle to amuse myself and contact the gang here so they knew I was out of surgery. :yes!: Saw a physical therapist late in the afternoon/early evening. He got me up, helped me to the bathroom and we did a stroll down the hall, not very far. He put me in the chair in the room and off he went. Next morning I saw my surgeon and told him to get me out of there! The hospital I was at is great unless you get stuck staying over then they drop the ball. So, so happy I had found this forum and great folks like @Layla and @Mojo333 to name a few or I would have been totally unprepared for what needed to be done.

So was your soft comfy outfit the clothes you wore into the center, or something extra?

Umm, no and this is embarrassing, but I forgot the clothes that I wore to the surgery center at the surgery center when I was discharged! I wore jeans, a flannel shirt…(and why the flannel I don’t know, since it was a warm sunny morning in June) Obviously bra and undies too. Let me add, a brand new bra…lots of bra talk here, lol. Never realizing I forgot my clothes there, I can’t tell you how many times I looked for that new bra in the months afterward. I looked inside blankets and sheets I had washed, dug through drawers and closet and had hubby look behind the washer and dryer, more than once. Just couldn’t figure out where it was until almost a full year after my surgery, the surgery center called me to tell me I left a bag of clothes there!!!! Obviously I didn’t miss the jeans, the flannel shirt or panties…only the new bra!! :) I drove there that day to retrieve my stuff and it was bittersweet walking in and out. I remembered the anxiety I was feeling as I walked in for surgery so many months earlier, but also felt grateful and blessed for how well I recovered. That will be you soon! :yes:

Yes a cami could work! I’m excited for you. You’re going to love the result this surgery brings and I look forward to following your recovery journey.
Hugs!

I wear something in, put it back on as soon as I get back from surgery and wear it home. I don’t like to be in the hospital gown with no back!! I always feel more comfy in my own clothing

^^^ Sounds like a good plan!
Those gowns, is there no possible way they can make 'em wrap around a little bit with ties on the side? I get stuck with one, staff is gonna see a full moon at high tide, and it won't be pretty :flabber:

It‘s great to have the possibility of going home the same day surgery. I had a THR about a month ago and the plan was for me to go home that day but something got mixed up in the planning and I ended up staying the night at the hospital even though I told them I wanted to be outpatient. All I can say is it I am so thankful that I did not go home. For me it was priceless to have someone bring me my meals, give me pain medication every four hours and take me to the bathroom. I was in more pain than I ever anticipated. I had an ice machine that the nurses came back regularly to refill with ice and had the squeezing leg pumps on my legs the entire night. I honestly was more comfortable in the hospital than I ever would have been at home. I had a log leg which made it impossible for me to get in and out of bed. I can’t imagine how that would’ve been managed at home. I was also very sick from the general anesthesia and had huge problems with my bladder after the anesthesia which they were able to manage over the course of the night which would not have been able to be done if I was at home.

hopefully you don’t experience any of these problems and can go home the same day.

All that being said I did bring a backpack with a change of clothes and toiletries to shower the next day. The hospital had my SO take my clothing to bring back later and I ended up wearing those clothes the next day when I went home.

My SO was free to leave and my surgeon called to inform that the surgery went well and update on the status of where I was in when I would be going home.
Wishing you wellness with your surgery and your recovery and please post your updates. I would love to hear how everything went for you.

A nurse showed me how to tie all the ties and them slip it over my head like a tee shirt!!

subie2021- NanaMama here.... we are both having Left THR tomorrow... both Outpatient! What are the odds? I had my right hip replaced 3.5 years ago - so the success of that hip makes me excited to have the other one done. As the day has approached, I'm apprehensive as I recall the first few days at home and the 'log leg' I had to navigate. I have plenty of caretakers though... so will be grateful for them - the surgery and Bonesmart. So many good tips here.

I don't even pack a bag. :yes: Last time (Feb 2018) I left home at 8:00am (for 10am surgery) and drove back in the garage at 2:00. 6 hrs. (and surgery center was 23 min. from my house. I have to be there this time at 5:45 for 7am surgery. I expect to be home before noon. I have an appointment (with labs) at 10am which is usually right after the x-rays (last time they took my labs while I was in Xray). I think I spent 30 min. or so with the PT (I had one appointment with PT a week or so ago). My surgeon doesn't have you 'go to PT' after surgery...just do exercises at home.... and as Bonesmart says: Walk! PT just makes you use the walker, crutches, etc. The block they put in your leg totally numbs any pain... I said I could get a gunshot in my thigh and never feel it.

Not sure what I'll be wearing tomorrow... maybe gym shorts and a tshirt. Last time it was winter and I wore cozy pajamas. I will see what the temp is at 5:00am

Everyone is shocked when they find out my THR was/is outpatient. My surgeon (when explaining it a few years back) said, "you'll sleep better in your own bed and there's less chance of infection... " He could have said, "And you don't need to pack a bag...." I'll be excited to hear about your experience (and that mine is over too). We can compare scars! :wink:

Good Luck to you!
Nana

My HipsterTwin Nana!
Best of luck to you tomorrow, too!

My check in is at 730 and surgery at 1030 so you'll be a little ahead of me. I hope we're both comfy at home 6 hours later.
I've packed a little overnight bag "just in case" to make less running for my DH. I'll leave it in the car just so no one gets the idea I'm looking to stay over LOL.

Isn't it awesome that such a big deal surgery doesn't have to entail days in the hospital? My surgeon will use MAKO robotics so hopefully that is also an advantage. At prehab I was offered pt afterwards and told her "we'll see". I joined the OneStep program and maybe that will be enough. I've had only good experiences with pt so I'm not adverse if I think I more help.

We'll have to compare notes from the other side. TTYL!

Hello subie2021,
Stopping by to say Hi and wish you all the best tomorrow. Drive thru THR! You have to love it. I hope you get some sleep tonight and we’ll look forward to your first update on the healing side of the forum once you’re feeling up to it.
Take Care!
@subie2021

None of the folks I talked to at the various offices were helpful about any of this, and there isn't anything on the hospital's website

Wow, that's very disappointing !!! NO ONE gave you any info,
at SEVERAL offices? These are the extra details that make
me fear this major surgery even more!

I hope everything goes well for you! :)

GO @suebie20201! We will conquer these battles! What time zone are you in? You may actually be ahead of me! Best wishes for us both!

Nana

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks