BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Sair's recovery thread^

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Sair, May 16, 2019.

1. Sair

Sair new member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello, I had my left tkr 18 March 2019. During the operation the surgeon noticed an anterior vertical fracture involving medial femoral condyle. I had 3 Dall-Miles cables passed to stabilise the fracture to prevent displacement. I was partial weight bearing for 7 weeks. I am still on crutches getting used to being fully weight bearing. Hopefully progressing to sticks tomorrow.

My knee bend is useless, painful and very stiff indeed. My muscles seem to have lost so much power and I have a partially numb heel. I am becoming increasingly depressed about the whole thing.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I just need to hear that I will get better....eventually.

2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Yes, you will get better eventually. :console2:

This is a very long recovery even without the complication of a fracture. Complete healing from a knee replacement takes an average of a full year, with improvements continuing even after that. Where you are now is not where you will end up.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    You've had a difficult start to your recovery, but there's every chance that you will heal and make a full recovery.

4. Sair

Sair new member

Thank you. Jockette and Celle. I have not progressed to sticks today because I cannot do a straight leg raise!
    I will be working very hard to improve this over the next 2 weeks, as that is when I have my next physio appointment.

5. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Don't work too hard. Your knee needs time to heal, so don't stress it with lots of exercise.

Recovery from a knee replacement is a year-long journey, so you have plenty of time. There's no need to rush. You'll get there in the end.

There are no prizes for giving up the walker and moving to sticks, so don't worry if you still need the walker. Your recovery has been complicated by the fracture, and allowances have to be made for that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sair

Sair new member

Thank you for your reassurance.

7. eaglemom

eaglemom senior

United States United States
    Your body and knee have been through a procedure, they need time to heal. I know you want it to go faster, and believe me if anyone here could do that we would. I know this sounds weird, but with my last revision I made my mind up that my recovery was my job, one of the few jobs I'd do. Give yourself permission to elevate and ice, and dial back anything else your doing.

It will all happen, in due time. Today it was rainy here and instead of my cane I'm using my walker. I don't 'have' to use it, but I was very conscious of walking improperly with the cane. You know your body best. It will get better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sair

Sair new member

Thanks for your response

9. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

@Sair
    I had a TKR on 1st March so I am now just over 12 weeks post op. I didn't have the other issues that you have had but just wanted to say that my knee is only just getting to feel ok'ish and that's with a straight forward op.
    So its not surprising that you have been feeling depressed. At times I was feeling down, reading others recovering much faster than I was. (yes I know we aren't supposed to compare but you just can't help it)
    Try to be patient and I am sure you will get there in the end. I think that positive mental attitude has a lot to do with this op so think good vibes and try to keep your mind occupied.
    Best wishes for a full recovery

• Like Like x 1
  10. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Not surprising you're depressed, it's not so easy this TKR business. If the fracture is healed, now you can start recovering your knee. Yes your soft tissues will have stiffened up and your muscles lost power. Now just slow, gentle stretching exercises will start to rebuild mobility, and just life will start with strength. When you have some flexibility and no pain, you can start with strength building. It all takes time, that's the tough bit to get used to.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Did you read all the stuff in the article Jockette left you? (post #2)

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sair

Sair new member

Thank you Roy and Bionic, I cant seem to find a place to thank you separately for your input, advice and kindness but thank you again.

13. Sair

Sair new member

Josephine, yes I have read everything, very interesting and am willing to answer any questions regarding my TKR

14. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

You're posting fine and the others will see you thanks, don't worry.

Here y'go with the questions then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
    ai63.tinypic.com_eta39s.jpg

4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
    This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
    (which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
    - how many sessions you do each day
    - enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
    etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
    - how many times a week
    - enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
    etc., etc.