THR Ryan's Hip Recovery

Hey everyone,

It has been a while since I have posted so just wanted to give a quick update.

I am 6 months out from my LTHR and 3 months from my RTHR. Everything appears to be progressing well. I used to be an avid runner (now retired) so now I ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes a day with no pain. I have even started going into the basketball court and getting some shots up. :)

There are a few things I have noticed during my recovery and wanted to hear from everyone whether they experienced anything similar.

1. When I walk for a half mile or more at this point, it almost feels like I have extra stress on my knees/shins/lower leg. Prior to surgery I could walk miles and not even think about it. I probably just need to slowly increase my distance and I have had 2 surgeries in a short amount of time.

2. Standing in one place for longer than a minute or two starts to fatigue my lower legs. I don't remember this ever being an issue prior to my AVN.

3. My thigh muscles felt like they were asleep for a couple months after surgery. I had the anterior approach so I am guessing this is normal but I am just now starting to see any muscle tone in my left hip. My right thigh just now seems to be waking up. I tried doing some leg extensions the other day and I pretty much had to put it on the lowest weight level. The surgeon sure upset those muscles during surgery. Feels like they are on strike.

I am assuming all of this is just part of the healing process and one issue probably is related to the other. I'm sure I am not the first person that wants to speed up the healing process and then realizes it really can't be done.

Anyway, overall I am doing great and I know things are just going to get better.

Happy healing to everyone.

Hi Rebelguy.
It is nice to read an update from you. There isn't anything you mentioned that sounds surprising since you're only six months post op from your Left TKR and a little over three months post op with your latest. Two major surgeries within less than three months and you haven't reached a full year yet with either. Take that into consideration and give yourself more time to heal. You are doing great and you're right, it will get better!
@Rebelguy

Happy Four Month Anniversary, Righty!
I hope you have a lovely Spring / Summer 2023 with your two new hips!
@Rebelguy

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give a quick update. My left hip is nearly 10 months out and my right is 7.

Yesterday morning I decided to take our two dogs for a walk and after a few steps out of the door, they both decided to take off running. They are small dogs but can get going pretty fast. My instincts had me just hold on to their leash and run with them. After 15 seconds or so they found a patch of grass and took a little break. It was then I thought to myself "Wow....I just ran pretty fast. My brain was not even thinking that I had two hip replacements and I had no pain at all". I used to run 20-25 miles per week for years before my hip issues began. I had tried to jog a very short distance a couple months ago but could tell there was still weakness.

No, I am not going to take up running again. I am completely content riding the stationary bike, walking, and lifting weights for exercise. The point of my story is that even at 10 and 7 months out, my body is still healing. Things are definitely improving even after I thought I had peaked. So for anyone that gets down because they feel they finally hit that point where their body cannot heal any further, have some hope.

Happy healing to everyone. I'll update again at the 1 year mark.

What a great update and inspiring also, Rebelguy. I got nervous for a sec when you said the dogs took off running, I was afraid I was going to read you fell. Whew!
Please do revisit on your one year anniversary and thanks for stopping by.
@Rebelguy

That's the best feeling, isn't it? Like you, I didn't plan to resume running/jogging after my THR's but I am happy to know if I need to run after my pets, grandchildren or from a bear :dubious: ! That my hips will help me to do so.

Life is good and thank you for your update. This will help so many of our new BoneSmarties.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back