TKR Runningfree’s Recovery Journey

OP
OP
Runningfree

Runningfree

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
As I didn’t have a heart attack I cannot go to the heart rehab gym. But the consultant who did my TKR saw me last Monday. He said I have a good range of movement and no limp but I need to get my quad muscles working. I’m now waiting to get into the weekly PT gym classes. Can only hope I will get some muscle back, it’s much harder to do the older you get. My knee can still be painful and stiff at times, but it’s not very swollen.

Reactions: shr

shr

Country
United States United States
Sorry to hear about your heart issues. Good luck at quickly getting back into PT. I'm a month ahead of you after my second knee replacement and my knee is still painful and stiff at times. One just has to be patient and keep moving.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR ..Staff member since Feb, 2009
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
It's quite common to have some stiffness for months (sometimes even years) after a knee replacement. You may especially notice it when you first stand from sitting or lying down, but it will usually improve with walking or other movement of the joint. It can also occur when going up or down stairs and feel like a tight band running around your knee. Here is a short article that explains a little more about that tight band feeling:

Tight Band feeling across the front of my knee

I do hope you are able to eventually get into cardio rehab. When I had problems with AFib and it was treated with cardioablation, I was allowed to participate in the program. I had to ask my heart doctor for special permission and it was granted because I was very fearful of exercise and the potential of the AFib returning. If this doesn't work, physical therapy will be the next best thing for you to get your muscle strength back. It may be a bit slow to come after this much time, but it will come.

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I'm sorry to read of your heart issue and lengthy hospital stay.
Thankfully you're back home. I hope you're able to get back into rehab and increase your fitness level in the New Year. Wishing you only the best.
Happy Four Month Anniversary and Merry Christmas too!
:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: @Runningfree

OP
OP
Runningfree

Runningfree

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks for the encouraging replies, I’ve had my first physio gym session, it went quite well I thought, I will be offered at least 4 weeks, probably a few more if the class still has spaces.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JojoY