Running ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDog Mom

Hi All,
I am 5 weeks out from bi-lats. Last week I was cleared by my OS to "go forth and prosper". ;)
Now I have been doing my PT exercises and going to PT twice a week and to the gym the other days. Do about a mile and half at a power walk on the treadmill and spend about 15 minutes on the elliptical (just 'cause l like it). I am still a little bruised and not quite my usual hyperactive amounts of energy. But I am fully back to my old routines -which is a wonderful thing.
Any way, I tried to run on the treadmill yesterday - Not pretty. MY brain says OK lets go but it seems like my body says Huh? Now the OA in my hips had gotten so bad that I haven't run since last March but I had switched to Resistance training and swimming to stay in shape.
Are my hip flexors that beat up (direct anterior) that they just can't handle it or is just too early? Or is this a proprioception thing I need to push through?
Any ideas?

Thanx,
Donna

Donna,
I have been an obsessive runner for years. When I had first met my doc I asked him what restrictions there were for a total hip. He said pretty much none, unless you are a runner. The problem is the joint will wear out faster.
As my love is mountain trail running, I was going to ask about just the uphill. Unfortunatly, he is now treating my knees.
I do have to admit I have tried running on the trail. At first it was weird and I said no way. A few weeks later it felt totally normal. I still do on the steep up hills and very short down hill sections (it is too much fun) Only about 20 or 30 steps at a time.
Were you given the ok to run?

I have been hiking almost daily though
Judy

Hi Judy,
Feeling weird is a good description. Though it was the same before the op. I could grit my teeth and power through it but I would pay for it for Weeks even with pain meds. I was so restricted in motion it was pitiful.
Now it is kind of the same thing - like I said I am walking fast enough that it would be a normal transition to break into a jog but my body almost acts like it doesn't know totally what it is supposed to do. It's really strange.
I was given the Go be free by my OS. Previous to my agreeing to have the surgery I did have a very frank discussion about what I would be able to do if I agreed to the op. In fact, I brought a picture of one of my very large Male IWs in just to make sure he understood what I meant when I said I wanted to be able to Run my dogs. ;) They are all amazed with my quick recovery.
So maybe I am just asking too much too soon. I am back to hiking around the fields with the older girl - she doesn't need a lead. Haven't tried any of the young hooligans yet. They all out weigh me (even the yearlings) so it makes my husband nervous and I don't see any reason to stress him further.
Maybe it is just too early... I will keep trying but not push it.

Thanx,
Donna

Donna
I know I was given permission to return to my mountain at my 3 month check up. I did have the posterior incision though and broken femur. At that point it felt weird. Probably a week or 2 later it felt totally normal.

I remember at my pre pre op apt. my doc looked at me and said no more running. I just looked back and did not say anything. He noticed and said PLEASE. I still don't know what I said then!!

Darn knees!!!

Judy

Hi Donna and Judy,

Once you have been a runner, it is hard to give it up! People tell me to just take up walking, but my feet won't do it! My OS did not forbid me to run, but did ask me not to do anymore LSD, which is what I loved the most. Hill repeats are fine, 15-30 min slow on soft ground is fine. The amount of running required to show the dogs (Siberians) was fine with him. I live in the middle of the Green Mountains with the Long Trail a short 15 min away and Camel's Hump trails just 2 min away. When DH and I go hiking, we power walk/jog up and RUN down. Of course running down is NOT good.

For years, we all compensated for the pain. We learned some pretty bad habits in order to move. My first attemps at my former activites were pretty funny, I thought. My first swim: I went backwards! My first rollerblade: same thing! My first jog I felt like a robot and my knees and back hurt like heck! It was like my brain was not connected to the rest of me!

Some if it just takes time to get use to the new joints. But what made the biggest difference for me was having a "Gait Trainer". This is a form of PT that is normally used for runners to improve the mechanics of their gait for speed and endurance. The Physical Therapy Center that I went to did have a PT trained in this method. I was video taped walking on a treadmill....actually painful to watch, I was horrified to watch me! I spent hours on a treadmill with flourescent dots on my knees, hips and shoulders with mirrors all around. The PT actually taught me how to walk correctly again with long, straight, swinging strides, with my pelvis forward and shoulders back. It took a few weeks, but the difference was amazing and it carried over into my running. DH is always commenting on how much better my running form is and people in the breed ring even noticed. It also practically eliminated the pain in my knees and back. My OS is so impressed with my gait, he is looking into having all his patients having gait training as recovery. I think you have to be pretty motivated to getting back to an active lifestyle however, so not for everyone.

Donna, you are still VERY early in your recovery! I know I should not be one to comment on this since I was the same as you. But I do know now, that time is your best friend at this point. You are still healing and some things just won't work quite right yet. Try hard to be patient ( I hope my DH can see me saying this, LOL). Go slow, it is not something you need to push through. See if you can find sports PT that does 'gait training'. Mine was even covered by insurance.

Judy, my knees aren't great, but by learning how to walk/jog mechanically correctly, it took much of the stress, therefore, pain away. If your knees aren't too shot, it may be worth a try.

Speaking of young hooligans and hip recovery, I had a good one! At about 3 weeks post, I was lounging in our hammock with a few cats sleeping in the sun around me. However, we were in sight of the kennel and it was just too much for one of the young Siberians to handle (you know about prey drive). He scaled the fence, grabbed a cat, which got away and ran up a tree. I had to get out of the hammock fast, "run" after the dog, catch him, then get a ladder and go up after the cat who was traumatized with a few superficial wounds. He was fine, but the entire time this was all happening I kept thinking "DR T. is gonna kill me!" After it was over, I just started shaking thinking about what I had just done on instinct and so thankful I and the cat were fine. I really started to appreciate my new joints about then!

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

You are not kidding about the feet not being able to keep from running. The gait training you did sounds awesome. I am currently in physical therapy for my thoracic spine and neck . Also unemployed or I would look for a place to do that. Whenever I am sent to pt, it always includes gait, but I don't see anyone really working on it.
My right knee has stage 4 chondromalacia , it is knock kneed, I overpronate and now I am having a lot of nerve symptoms in it. I am almost through with hyalgan injections, no difference yet. I wish everything else was as straight forward to fix as my hip was!!!

Sounds like you are doing wonderful . Great story. I have had a few similar experiences with previous times on crutches!!! Good memories.

Off to my trail.
Judy

This conversation is rapidly sounding like a medical conference! Good going, girls!

Hi Guys,
Too funny Andrea. I was actually pretty concerned about that knee jerk sort of reaction. Had it happen when I had just had Michaela. I was supposed to be bed resting - all of a sudden there was a big commotion in the kennel (it is attached to the house). I was up and flew down the stairs out into the kennel, before I even realized what I was doing. I think that is when our Angels work a little overtime. ;) I am glad the cat was OK. Wouldn't have the same results here- which is why I don't have cats any more even though(or because) I do love them.

I did call Univ of Delaware about their Gait Training program (they were one of the originators) I have pretty much decided that I will give it 3 months and if I am not satisfied with my progress then I will go see them and pay what I have to. I have recovered a lot of strength, now I am lacking flexibility I think. Time to break out the yoga DVD - IT is really very cool that I am able to do it again.

I took one of the Hooligans out today. We only did a mile but it is so cool to be able to walk my hounds again. (They are not trained to heel on a lead on purpose) He was pretty good, only used the lead as a tow rope a couple of times. ;) I got his invitation to the AKC Invitational today. It's a shame it's in CA. Just a little far for me. I really enjoy that show when it's in Tampa. Oh well hopefully next year it will come back to the east coast.

Judy, have you tried different shoes also? Particularly since you are walking differently now after the op? It is something I think a lot of people over look. But when I was running seriously I could tell when a pair of shoes was worn by the fact that my knees would start bothering me. They didn't look bad but knees new the alignment was not the same. I know it is not that simple for you but every little bit helps.

Donna

Donna

Donna,
I have orthotics which got tweaked just a little by my doc. He told me to use something a little more supportive for hiking than my running shoes. I did wait until the top was no longer existing on my left shoe. I got hiking shoes that are supposedly made with women in mind. Our Q angle, and my overpronation.
But thanks, I welcome all ideas!!! The knee I am having the most trouble with is one I fell pretty hard on 25 years ago while playing pine cone soccer on a mountain trail with my dog!!!! I never had it looked at by an orthopedist, but it gave me a lot of trouble back then.
When I saw the Ca. I got all excited thinking you were coming!!!

It is only 7pm and I am ready for bed!!!

Judy

Hi Donna + Judy,

Irene Davis at U of D was the originator of the "gait training" that I did. My insurance paid for it since it was refered as PT. I did that in conjunction with yoga/pilates. Now we go to "Equestrian Fitness" classs! Given by a Grand Prix rider who is a PT and yoga instructor. Combines strength, pilates, meditation, yoga geared to riders. Great fun!

Judy, I overpronate too. I have congenital antiverted hips plus tons of OA. I have spondolythesis of L4-5. Most other stuff has been kept at bay following my THR, but I know time will bring more surgery someday. I have a pair of La Sportiva woman specific approach shoes for hiking . I find them much more secure when hiking than my running shoes. Do you have OA in your spine and joints or is it something else? Man you are dealing with lots of stuff! Pine cone soccer!!!! LOL We really are paying the price for our youthful foolishness, aren't we? Oh well, I wouldn't have had it any other way!

Totally off topic: Donna, are you close enough to the DC area to help me find a good breeder of some kind of small, low care dog, I am thinking maybe an adult retired show dog? My son and DIL think it is time to add a dog sometime in the next year. She loved my little pom, but I worry about barking. She thinks Shih Tzus are cute, maybe mini Dach. Something lovable and cuddly.

Andrea

Andrea I do have OA in my whole spine. I think most of us have a lot to deal with, just part of life.
Judy

Just a thought...I was walking the mall today..We've got our first cold front coming in and it was windy and blustery....I know. Cool for us N. Floridians.
My knee was feeling it and my left hip is giving me problems..
So any ways, I was feeling sorry for myself and having a good pity party. And then it happened to me again.
There happened to be an outing for a group of special needs kids. All were in wheel chairs and most had severe deformities.
As is my habit when I see kids like that, I say a prayer that some day they will know the joy of running, jumping and playing.
Sure snapped me out of my mini depression. I had a very successful athletic career, heard the cheers. Now I pay for the abuse with the joints.
But ya know what??? I'd probably do it all over again!!
The bad thing is, I have to have the same reminder every few months.

Andrea, I live in the DC area. I have a good place to start your search for a dog. This website will connect you to animal shelters in your area. There are pictures of animals up for adoptions and you can often find puppies. I think this will work no matter what part of the country you are in so this site is good for anyone in search of a new pet. Good luck with you pet seach! Karen

http://www.petharbor.com/default.asp

Doug
Those are the types of kids I most enjoy working with. I would have taken any of them home with me if they needed a home. I got close to most parents and are still in touch. Yes, I get mad at myself when I feel down. As a matter of fact writing this just brought up my last night's dream. It had a lot of my former kids in it.

As I told myself last week there are a lot of soldiers and others out there who would love to have knees in pain.
Judy

Oh Doug,
I was not complaining. In fact I go around with this stupid grin on my face because I can not believe how easy my problem was to fix. I am VERY grateful that I was fortunate enough to have something that had an easy fix. I have Dear friends that are not so fortunate.
Andrea we can take the dog question off list if you like my email is [email protected]. Perhaps a Cavalier King Charles? They do bark (most of the little guys do) but not compulsively. They were originally bred to sit in the laps of Noble women. So definitely fit the cuddly bill.

donna

A dear friend of mine, wheel chair bound for years, has had four CKC since I have known her and they've all been absolute sweethearts! The way they so quickly learn, even as pups, to negotiate around her chair is impressive. And they so love it when they go for a walk because she's a bit of a speed freak so they can really get up steam! It's so funny to see them running ahead with her on the end of the leash - looks for all the world as if they are pulling her chair along!

Sadly she lives down near London and up in the North.

Donna
I can sympathize with you wanting to get back to the old activities. But you do realize that running is a high impact activity and as such will accellerate the wear on your new joints. More than walking, you are getting both feet off the ground and then they regain contact and that force is trasmitted through the rest of your body through those brand new hips. Jounce, jounce, jounce. Its not the only high impact exercise you could do, theres singles tennis. As good as this new artificial joint technology is, its not your original hips. How long do you want them to last?

I was never a runner, but I do like to bike. Cycling is low impact, unless you fall off then all bets are off. It is a very good way to exercise. So is swimming. If you want those joints to last as long as they can, then maybe shifting to a different activity would be the best choice. Its your choice, they are your hips.

Yup,
I know that I will not be running 4 miles a day for fun any more. I will power walk it instead. Buuuttttt, the whole point of my doing the surgery was to reclaim my life. My life includes running big dogs around a ring on the weekends.(see attached photo) Most of my shows are on grass. Mainly because I hate indoor shows, they are noisy and stuffy and crowded.
The bonus in having large dogs is they need more exercise to keep them in top condition which means I get more exercise. Since the surgery my husband doesn't like me to go alone, so he is getting more exercise (hehehe!) I'm a lunatic so I will go crazy if I don't exercise - he on the other hand is horrible. He figures since he stands all day for his work (he's a cabinet maker) that counts. NOT! I worry about him because he is over weight (classic ex football payer) and his family history includes late onset diabetes and heart issues.
The big problem is already I can go faster and farther then he is willing to go. So I fear soon it will be me and two dogs. But I am thrilled to be able to walk my dogs again without paying for it with the exception of muscle soreness.

Donna

Attachments

• Michaela iwca 05.jpg
    Michaela iwca 05.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 232
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online