Running ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Dogs: yeap, CKC have been on my radar for the kids. Finding a well bred, slightly older one may be a bit harder...any leads would be greatly appreciated! Karen, thanks for the shelter link, I am going to have the kids keep their options open. Little dogs: today I am grooming a Cotton Du Tulear and 2 Havanesse. TOOOOO much coat!

Feeling grateful: While I often go for long periods of time that I don't even think about my new hips, there is always something that reminds me just how lucky I am. Not just for the new lease on life my hips have given me, but my life in general.

Running with dogs: :) Bob, I am grinning as I write this so please take it with humor. Poor Donna has a very bad incurable disease. There is no choice for her. She MUST run. She is a 'dog person'. I have to admit, I am one too. We are hopeless. Except I am moving away from showing the dogs and back to showing horses! The dogs are a part of our lives, not just an activity or form of exercise. However, the type of running Donna is refering to is not getting out on the road and grinding away for an hour or two. She must run to show (or gait) her Irish Wolfhounds (I show Siberian Huskies). That means the dogs must move at a brisk trot around a show ring probably 2-5 times. When Irish Wolfhounds and Siberian Huskies are at a brisk trot, the handler better be able to move out too! I know my OS felt that type of running was totally acceptable. He ok'd me to be back to showing at 6 weeks post simultaneous bilateral THR (same as Donna) with MIL, posterior, poly/metal (just for the record).

We have 6" of new snow....mush on!

Andrea

ripanco - I've been doing some research on threads from day one and have been reading all your early posts! You've been here over a year longer than I have!

Donna
Understood. Everything within reason. Grass is a nice cushy surface, not like jogging on a road. Tell your husband I envy him, I would love to have a job where I get paid to do woodworking.

ripanco - I've been doing some research on threads from day one and have been reading all your early posts! You've been here over a year longer than I have!

Hi Josephine,

Wow, time flies when you are having fun :) I kinda come and go here, love to drop by to see what is happening. I was sent to this board by a horsie friend who had 1 THR. She shows big sport horses in hand. That means you really have to run fast!!! TB beats IW or SH anyday! Her OS cleared her for that, but there were lots of other people that told her she was being foolish. She needed a little hand holding :) But she is now back to riding and showing in hand. This is a fun board with a great moderator :) and lots of good info.

Andy

TB, IW and SH? I love horses but you'll have to interpret, tha knows!
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_wink_1.jpg

Thanks so much for the kudos!

TB, IW and SH? I love horses but you'll have to interpret, tha knows!

:) TB=Thoroughbred horse
IW= Irish Wolfhound dog
SH= Siberian Husky dog

Thoroughbred horse trots much faster than either an Irish Wolfhound or Siberian Husky. So to show one you have to be able to run really, really fast!

Andrea

Hi all,

Last week I had my first visit with the surgeon since my THR just over 7 weeks ago. (Everything is fine and he will see me again in 12 months.) Amongst my list of questions was “May I go back to the gym? Please?” His eyes narrowed. “To do what?”

I described my pre-op routine of recumbant cycling, swimming and light weights. He looked relieved and said that was fine, but absolutely no running. Ever. I have never been a runner and wont start now, but I did spare a thought for those on this board who were built for speed. For those runners contemplating a hip replacement, it might be worth checking out your surgeon’s view on the subject. Mine seemed quite laid back about most things but he was very adamant about the no running rule.

Monica

Love your writing style, mvo! Almost like reading a novel - "his eyes narrowed"! Love it!

Hi, Monica, that is pretty much how my Dr. felt a bout running too. While he didn't forbid it, it was the only activity he discouraged. Not a problem for me because I am not a runner either. However, now that I am back on the treadmill (2 months out from surgery) I am tempted to pick up the pace and see if I can run a bit...

Laurie

I'm not a runner, either, but the only activity my OS's practice is leery of is yoga. Apparently some patient thought she could put both legs behind her head.... :o
I told the doc, no problem, my legs could never do that to begin with!

Oooh, yoga, the very thought is making me cringe! My sister used to do that, and before her THR showed her surgeon some moves or positions or whatever they are called to see if she would be allowed to do them post op. He made very discouraging noises. I will have to ask her if she has been "forbidden" anything. Like me, she never was a runner.
Monica

I was out hiking with my 2 sons today. At one point I looked at the trail ahead with all the golden leaves and said, look, it is just screaming at me to run!!!!!
Hard when you were an obsessive runner.
Judy

Hi Judy,
Must be an obsession you are born with! My husband is similar - to get fit he just starts running again. I have always looked at people running and thought "Ouch, ouch" with each step. Walking, however, I could go for miles.
Monica

Neither for me! I have always HATED walking - with a passion! Is the only thing that stops me getting a dog.

Because there are so many variations in patients, surgeons, procedures and prosthetics, there will never be one totaly correct "can and can't do" list.

It certainly make a difference in the lifestyle of the patient pre surgery. Just as an example: I have downhill skied all my life, PSIA certified, skiing is almost as easy as walking to me. I can still ski very aggressivly with THR. However, should someone that has never skied or only a few times take it up? Not likely!! I, on the other hand have never done Martial Arts. I know a gal that has returned to a high level following her bilat THR. I really doubt I will be learning that!

The is a very broad difference in OS's feelings post THR. My gut feeling is there is some level of self confidence in their work, maybe some outdated ideas, and some fear of suit. Just as some surgeons impose lifelong restrictions, there are also some that say "Go for it", live your life. I definatly listen to what my OS says, but at the same time, I know my body better than anyone else, so I am more aware of what I am capable of. So, while I cherish these new hips, I also appreciate the life they have given me back and hope to live it as fully as possible.

And then there is the level of any activity. There is running and then there is RUNNING. I am sure that just about any surgeon will tell you it is fine to run to get out of traffic, play catch in the yard, catch the child, bus, dog, etc. It is not the act of running that does the damage. The OS are more concerned about the wear and tear of repetative running mile after mile, especially on hard surfaces. The amount of running required to show a dog is minimal. OTOH, I know of a few surgeons who have no problems with their patients returning to a high level of running, such as marathons and triathalons. In fact, one of the few long term studies of activity levels following THR, showed the highest quality of life, and satisfaction with the surgery was most often found in the patients with the highest levels of activity, including x/c skiing, running, lifting, swimming. Staying fit and strong seemed to keep the joints working well.

Yoga is a wonderful activity for anyone. If anyone is interested, there is a site that actually lists what poses are safe or not for the particular surgical approach (posterior/anterior) you have. I can no longer do Pidgeon type poses, but there are still plenty that I do that are wonderful for my hips for both strength and flexability. It is advisable when you are first learning Yoga to find an instructor who is aware of the limitations.

I just sorta feel that if you are happy with your life following THR, than that is what is right for you. No one size fits all.

Josephine, I hate walking too, but I don't need to walk our dogs, we go skijoring instead!! :)

Andrea

Jo,
What do you do for cardio at the gym??
I guess you could bike, I'm just so used to running!!
Judy

Hey Judy,

Not Jo, sorry, but maybe a few ideas for you?

If they have one, a Concept2 Rower is awesome for cardio and total body workout. And if you can keep your feet from going too fast, how about raising the incline on a treadmill and power walking?

Andrea

Hi Andrea,
I go hiking with my doggie most mornings so I can get the cardio in. The challenge is to keep the feet WALKING only. I admit on the steep parts I break into a jog.
The funny thing is through my years of pt , I always have slightly worried about running into one of my pt's or people from the office when on the trail (earlier than I should be, or running instead of walking).
Well, twice recently I have had that happen. He is not my current pt, but one very familiar with me. However, I have been behaving each time!!

I also have been trying to take my bike out more.
thanks for the input
Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties