PKR Running after a partial knee replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

runman

Country
United States United States
Hi,

Who has successfully returned to running after a partial knee replacement? I'm not talking about jogging a few miles, I'm talking about successfully running 1/2 and full marathons. My surgery is scheduled for January 29th and I am already planning for a fall marathon. I had a tibial osteotomy exactly ten years ago on the medial side and squeezed out 10 good years of marathoning from my knee. Now I need a partial on the same knee/same side and I'm hoping to get another 10 good years. And please, no lectures about not running on a replacement knee. I've had these discussions with my surgeon and he fully supports my goals.

Last edited:
@runman Welcome to BoneSmart!

I have been on this forum for 10+ years and can't think of one member who has been able to return to marathon running post PKR. That doesn't mean it is not possible. It's just not something our members strive to do post op.

Let's see what our members have to say.

In forums like this, you typically don’t find good news. People come here because they have problems, so that’s why you haven’t seen any successes. When I had my tibial Osteotomy, I scoured the internet for information. I went to many forums. All were bad news about failed surgeries. When people have had success, they move on. They are not back posting on forums.

Absolutely true @runman . Members who stick around usually have unusual recoveries or complications. For every 10 members here there are hundreds who have had great results and are off living life again. It's not bad news - just difficult recoveries.

I hope you find the answers you need!

I won't lecture you.
You've considered your options, discussed them with your surgeon, and made your choice.
I hope you achieve your goals. Best wishes.

@runman ... we actually have had a few knee and hip patients who went back to very athletic lifestyles including running after joint replacement surgery. You're right that we tend not to see a lot of this on the forum because, as you say, people heal and go back to their lives again. Some of their stories are highlighted in the Stories of Amazing Recoveries threads (for hips and knees) in our forum library. Others are told in our BoneSmart Spotlight series.

You might check out our Facebook and Twitter pages. Especially Twitter seems to attract folks who do very well after joint replacement, get back to an active lifestyle, and never think to join the forum to talk about their recovery. Try @kneereplacement and @hipreplacement.

One member in particular that I recall was Bonnie - @RunA42K - who went through a lot of problems with her knee and still ran afterwards. She hasn't posted in a year, but you might take a look at her recovery thread. Please keep in mind that you will likely not experience the problems she had with recovery. A good thing to remember is to gradually increase your activity level as you progress and never allow yourself to do things that result in pain or swelling. No pushing of the knee, especially in the first 6 months.

Last edited:
I hope you do come back and let us know how your recovery goes. It's good for our members who are having problems to see there is hope and a successful recovery that can include returning to activities you enjoy is possible.

Hi @runman

I am due RTKR (was this month but postponed due to high COVID figure in the UK). I am a runner but on a much much smaller scale than you. BUT, running is sooo important to me, and like you I cannot bear the thought of giving it up. My OS says “no” as do many. Did you have to do battle with your OS for him to back you about running again? There are definitely people who successfully run again after knee surgery. I’ve had OA in my knees since I was 15 and also now have RA. My docs don’t know how I manage to run but I do cos I LOVE it! But at the moment my knee will not allow it.

This forum is great and if you take some time to search around it, you will find it’s not only people who have problems who post here, there are lots of amazing success stories inc those who have returned to running.

If you type in “running after knee replacement “ in the search bar there are lots of posts. Also, not sure if you have heard of Dick Beardsley, a marathon runner who still runs after BTKR’s. Google him!

I would be over the moon if I can run again after my replacement it’s been messing with my head!
Good luck!

Hi Carmencita....Thank you for the tips. My surgeon is also the surgeon to many of the pro sports teams here in Detroit. So he understands that people will continue to play their sport no matter what. The only tip he gave me was to try and supplement my training mileage on the elliptical. I will continue to post my progress on here. Good luck with your surgery and please keep us posted too.

No matter how active people intend to ultimately be, we like to tell people to listen to the knee as they recover. It has it's own schedule for recovery. :)

Hi @runman

Just checking in..... I believe your surgery is on 29th. I hope you’re ready - sooner it’s done, sooner you can start training again! I hope all goes well. Come back here to let us know how you get on. Good luck!

ps. I have a new date for my TKR 12 Feb so won’t be far behind you.

Thanks Carmencita. I will give an update on Friday after my surgery. Keep us posted on yours too and good luck.

Hope you’re doing ok runman. There’s hope - I have a friend who has 2 total knee replacements and has continued to run marathons and half marathons. It’s against the advice he was given but he did it anyway. First knee done 15 years ago and second 5 years ago. I met him at a local run event when I stopped as he was bent over in pain and looked like he needed help, maybe a heart attack I thought but he was running too soon after the surgery! He’s a never give up guy who loves running and will probably kill himself doing it as he’s 83. He’s been lucky and got away with going against advice but you should go carefully and see how knee reacts. Seriously you must allow time for complete healing to take place first otherwise you could set yourself back hugely on recovery. As a runner you’ll know training and preparation count for a lot and you’ve got to think longer term and carefully plan your running comeback to give yourself the best chance of success.
Good luck, there’s a hope you will run long distance again but most of all just enjoy any running you can do.

Hi @runman & @Sophiesoreknee

Any post that mentions running and I’m there! Your 83 yo friend is amazing, it certainly gives me hope. I’m not a marathon runner like @runman but I would be overjoyed if I could resume running after my TKR. The thing is, most surgeons say “no running”, and the reason they give is usually loosening of the cement around the implant, plus the shock going through the body with each step, therefore shortening the life of the implant. But, so far I haven’t actually found any hard evidence to support that and I’ve googled it to death. If I do manage it then yes I realise I will have to work very hard on building quad strength etc and maybe it won’t be possible, but you have to dream....one of my friends (forces herself to run) said that if she were told she wasn’t allowed to run again she’d be in heaven! She doesn’t get me at all.

Anyways, runman how are you doing today? I hope the pain is under control and you’re managing the exercises, I’m sure you are......Can I ask, were you able to run leading up to your PKR or did you have to stop....were you in lots of pain, swelling etc prior to the op? Thanks for yr message, yes just over a week for me, mentally and physically trying to prepare. Pre op and COVID next Wednesday.

@Sophiesoreknee have you a date for your procedure? I had locking etc many years ago, three arthroscopic procedures but not micro fracture. The loose body they took out was massive - I’ve still got it in a jar......my friends think I’m slightly unhinged!

Anyways, runman how are you doing today?
Runman has a recovery thread and you can follow his progress there:

I'm only 6 weeks from my partial, but I had my followup with my surgeon this week and asked him about any limitations (once I'm fully recovered) and he said that the only thing he would recommend staying away from is open chain leg exercises (i.e. leg extension).

HE actually brought up running and said anything else including running would be fine.

@runman, can you share who your surgeon was? I'm also in Michigan and want to do the same thing as you.

@Old Runner .... I'm sorry, but runman is no longer a member of BoneSmart so he will not be able to respond to your request.

If you'll start a thread of your own in the Knee Pre-Op Forum and tell us a bit about your situation, perhaps we can help guide you to the correct option for a knee replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88