MUA Ruby's Tuesday--July 11th, 2017<

Ruby9297

senior
Country
United States United States
Hell BoneSmart Friends:
Well I made it through to the other side with zero complications so far. I am doing very well and will post a detailed account tomorrow, after I've had some rest. I cannot express how glad I am to have made it to this point. Let the healing begin! Thanks to those of you who sent healing thoughts my way.

Great, Ruby! It can be challenging in the first few days to post, I was able to read more than write. It really boosted my spirits to read the supporting posts from fellow tkr peeps. I don't know what your OS's protocol is for getting you out of bed (mine was out on Day 1, not the day of) but you will be amazed when you stand up on that new knee !

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Welcome to recovery, Ruby. I'm glad things went well.

Here is your recovery reading:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks @nensi and @Celle. Still relatively pain-free. Would have slept better if my roommate didn't snore and pass gas all night! Also her phone was on so I got to hear every notification that came in on her phone, not to mention all the noise and interruptions one would expect in a hospital. Omg! I have asked to be moved to a private room, but that's unlikely to happen because they were so short of beds yesterday that I had to stay in recovery from 2: 00 until 10:00 before they got a bed for me on the orthopedic inpatient floor.

Witnessed a Code Blue when the man in bed next to me clinically died and was finally resuscitated. Scary! They (about 20 medical professionals who were frantically working on him) finally realized that my husband and I were right there seeing all this go on and we were distressed and we could see fear and panic in them, so they moved my gurney to a different section. I said a prayer for the man and they saved him. This time. He's a very sick man.

I had a major panic attack when they wheeled me to the OR. The last time I was wheeled to that same place where they don't allow family members, I had bilateral total mastectomies and I think I must have some PTSD around that that I didn't realize until I started to recognize where I was.

You see they have completely remodelled and built new buildings to the hospital, so I guess I expected the surgery suites to have changed as well. They look identical to they way they looked in October of 2009 and started to shake and cry. I seriously thought about changing my mind. I wanted to get out of there! Then I saw a wall in my OR, I don't know how wide - 20-30 feet. The wall was lined with a steel counter top, which was completely covered in a variety of surgical tools/instruments of medieval torture - you decide - which I knew were for me, and I panicked some more. My disposition wasn't alleviated after three painful attempts to get an IV started, where veins blew up under the backs of my hands like swollen water balloons. I have always been a "tough stick", but it's been worse since chemotherapy.

The PT reluctantly visited me in the recovery room because she wanted to get off her shift at 5:00. I was made to sit on the edge of the bed and stand for a moment with a walker. I was given exercises: ankle pumps and straightening knee flat on bed - that hurts! Also told not to elevate leg, but I'm doing it anyway with a couple of pillows.

I have had to ask for ice each time, which I thought would have been standard issue. PT is supposed to visit again this morning. My nurse will be removing my catheter, which I'm looking forward to, and then I'll get to use a bedside commode. Another reason why I'd like a private room.

Pain control has been superlative! Much better than what I expected. So I'm comfortable so far.

Well that's all on Ruby's Tuesday for now. I'm kinda tired. Again, thanks for the well wishes.

:holysheep:What an experience. I sure hope today is less *exciting* for you. Glad the pain is being managed. I hope they can find a private room for you until you can get home where your surroundings will be much more conducive to healing. Take a few naps today if you can.

Oh my, what an experience. I really don't want to see the "medieval torture instruments" they will be using, I'm sure you didn't either. I'm so sorry that you had to witness someone being resuscitated, you definitely didn't need that after just having major surgery yourself. Hopefully you can get some rest today and that private room.

Ruby, you've been through a great deal the last 24 hours! And you have been able to relate so clearly! I hope you have some ear buds - they could help with the hospital noise and snoring roommates. I also too disposable ear plugs (from the factory at work) and still sleep with them at home. I have a mask from a recent flight and that is a godsend to napping in the hospital.
And now, just get as much rest as you can and don't overdo PT.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Oh Ruby, what an unfortunately dramatic start to your surgery and recovery; ugh! With any luck, today will be completely uneventful and your roomie will be gone. Good sleep can only be had at home, so just nap as much as you can today. I really hope you will be discharged to home tomorrow.:fingersx:

completely covered in a variety of surgical tools/instruments of medieval torture
Hey, those were the beloved tools of my trade for most of my life!!

However, when I was a theatre manager, I was very strict about not allowing patients to see the instrument trolleys - NOT a good idea!

Take care and make sure you carefully read the articles Celle left you.

Welcome on this site. I can't believe you're in ortho. wing and have to ask for ice. That is ridiculous! Getting earplugs is a really good idea. I had them, but still didn't sleep well for months! I hope you can nap today. When do you expect to go home?

I didn't notice the wall of instruments until my second surgery. That time, I looked over and was like...is all that for me? Holy cow. And that's about the last thing I remember.

I'm glad you're past the worst. I'm sorry about the ptsd from your cancer surgery. Hopefully you'll be resting at home, away from loud roomies, soon!

Oh my you sure have seen alot. Thank god its all over. I have ptsd really bad from my first hip replacement that ended up with mrsa alot of surgery a chunk out of my thigh so i get it. You are so strong you made threw like a trooper. I pray you get home soon or get a private room so you wont have anymore witness to near death. Take care and i pray you have a uneventful recovery. Have a blessed day.:loveshwr::angel:

Congratulations! You are through the most dreaded part! I hope you find some rest and peace as you start your recovery! Keep us posted!

What a day you had, Ruby!
I'm sorry you had to go through all that.
Congratulations on coming through it able to report so clearly.

I hope that you get a single room but if you don't, do ask the other person in your room to turn off her/his phone at night.

Best wishes for a more peaceful day and night and I'm crossing my fingers that you will be allowed home soon.

Your opening day is fiction-worthy! On the plus side, you will have stories to tell. I never saw my surgical instruments, but I think it would have been interesting. Or scary. You came through with flying colors through all of that. From now on, may you have only peaceful days and no more drama.

I did see the surgical instruments, looked like an auto body shop. Thank god I was only awake for about 3 minutes in the OR.

So sorry you don't have a private room, ugh.

Wishing you a peaceful evening!

My husband had to share a room and he could not sleep at all due to the loud snoring!! I also hate sharing a bathroom with someone else. I hope you either get a private room or get to go home soon!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom