Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Rubyroo 12-2-19 RTKR Recovery Journey

Jewlz1

Country
United States United States
Hi Rubyroo! I'm so impressed with your walking! I had my LTKR on 12/18. You are inspiring me that I will soon be able to go for walks too!

OP
OP
Rubyroo

Rubyroo

Country
Hi Jewlz1! Well I appreciate your thinking I'm an inspiration! It's a slow walk but I have to be patient with myself. Sometimes it is hard to be patient. Usually I'm pretty laid back but it is sometimes hard not to wish you were further along then you are. But ya gotta just put one foot and front of the other and keep on keeping on.

ginr

Country
Sorry to hear your down, I'm one week behind you so will be 11 weeks tomorrow. I find I'm down. It seems like trying to get back to normal when the knee still isn't just keeps me feeling blue. I know this is a long process but I get so tired of the knee being in charge.

Helizabug

graduate
Country
I really wish we could take a break from the recovery for a few hours, at least, like a blast into the future when we’re feeling stronger than ever and able to do something that was painful before the surgery. The debilitation can be relentless in these first months.

Visualizing better days helps me a bunch, but sometimes it’s not enough.

Jewlz1

Country
@Rubyroo - my patience has grown thin almost daily. Usually on gloomy days and later in the afternoon when I find myself tired and on my 3rd icing of the day and elevating. But, I remind myself that the time spent now will pay big dividends later. It's a lot!

Josie1054

Country
Rubyroo, Your shaving story hits a nerve. Today was my day to get my roots colored. I couldn't believe how sensitive my scalp was when the beautician applied the dye. It felt like she was stabbing me. I guess our entire bodies are sensitive through this healing period.
Ohhhh noooo - I have an apt this week to get all this grey covered, since the surgery, 4.5 weeks ago. Hope I don’t experience what you did, poor thing!

Andypandy

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Helizabug you have hit the nail on the head. Yes, to be able to have a break from this relentless grief. Been up 3 times in the night icing and still the pain goes on. What a journey! X

OP
OP
Rubyroo

Rubyroo

Country
Had my 3 month post op appt yesterday with my Dr.. They took X-rays and the Dr. said everything looked good and he was pleased with my ability to straighten and bend my knee. He said he'd see me in December 2020 for my one year checkup. WHEW! Thank you Lord! As I was leaving I thought- love ya, mean it- but I hope I don't have to see you again for a looooonnnnggg time!

I shared with my Dr. this awesome resource, BoneSmart and told him he should check it out that it helped me a lot. He said he would check it out.

bikinglynn

Country
Good for you! I hope your recovery continues to go well.

I'm a huge cheerleader for BoneSmart, also. Everyone has to hear how great it is.

OP
OP
Rubyroo

Rubyroo

Country
Took a mile walk yesterday and that went ok- knee didn't cause me any issues later that day. Today I walked a little over a mile and it went fine- hopefully my knee won't object later this evening. I think it'll be fine. I feel like my gait is like I'm walking like the Abominable Snowman. It feels unnatural and not smooth. I'm concentrating on the heel-toe thing but my walk just feels awkward. Practice makes perfect I reckon! I need to get with it because I need to lose some weight. As I sit here wishing I was having a Dairy Queen Blizzard for dinner. The evil allure of sugar!

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
That’s great that you haven’t had any repercussions with the mile walk. I suggest you not increase it every day, especially if your gait is still awkward. Keep the same for a week or more, then try adding just 5 minutes a week. If it bothers you, go for a shorter walk for a while and then try increasing it again. There is no hurry, and setbacks can take while to recover from.

Rucked Up

Country
I feel like my gait is like I'm walking like the Abominable Snowman. It feels unnatural and not smooth. I'm concentrating on the heel-toe thing but my walk just feels awkward. Practice makes perfect I reckon!
I find that I am repeating to myself 'heal-toe' 'heal toe' when walking, otherwise, I too walk that Abominable Snowman.

aperture

Country
Me too with the funky gait! I also did a mile yesterday and finally did not pay for it the next day. My legs still feel weak and like they have lost strength from the weeks lying around. I am going to not push myself with the walking, as I suffered a week long huge back step in my progress.

sistersinhim

Country
As I sit here wishing I was having a Dairy Queen Blizzard for dinner.
Oh yes, a m&m one! Yum.

Jockette is right. Increase your distance only every few days. I think increasing it every day will be too much for your knee.

Andypandy

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Rubyroo well done on your walk, I am nowhere near that yet. However relate to your comment about gait, it's hard to get it right. I look like a prancing horse practising around the house, it's getting that bend. Any tips appreciated. Don't go too far, take care xx

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
While it’s good to be mindful of your gait, it also will improve on its own as you heal. Try not to stress over it.

Pattikakes

Country
You all had me laughing I was visualizing your "walking" styles. Just yesterday, I described mine as looking like Frankenstein.I guess it's part of the journey.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
DaBaer
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom