Bilateral TKR Rubber bands around ankles

Happygirl

Country
United States United States
Hi! I just had bilateral tkr 2 weeks ago and my recovery is going well. My doc believes in PT the first day. So I am walking now without assistance. I have been icing religiously and elevating during day (just normal bed at night). My swelling has really gone down. So here is the problem - I have numbness of both shins, and a feeling just above my ankles like a thin rubber band is wrapped tightly around them. The feeling is always there. I also have the feeling of large bands around the knees, but that doesn't really bother me. My doc does not seem interested in listening to my questions about the really tight ankle bands - he just cuts me off saying it's normal and will get better in time. Any ideas?

Hi, and welcome! I don't have any experience with the symptoms you mentioned, so I'm tagging @Celle to see if she has any input there. In the meantime, I'll leave you with our recovery guidelines, which are very helpful and informative as you recover. Please keep us updated, and also feel free to ask any more questions you may have. Congratulations on your new knees!

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much lovetocookandsew! I think I have probably been pushing too hard. Recovery does take time. Hope someone has feedback on the darn ankle rubberbands.

Happygirl,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
Not sure what is causing your tight band feeling around your ankles, most likely it is due to the swelling from your BTKR's. You may not be able to see it, but the swelling is there.
We have an article in the library about the tight band feeling around your knees.
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee
The tightness is a symptom of pain, be sure you are properly medicated either with prescribed medications or OTC pain relievers.

You are only two weeks out from your BTKR, all the aches and pains are to be expected. They will resolve with time.

Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

Thank you Pumpkln!
My surgery was Oct 09, 2019.
I sure hope it is the swelling - the nerves in the legs must be pretty outraged after surgery lol. I don't seem to get any relief from the band constriction feeling other than when I ice or wear support hose (slight improvement). Really appreciate the forum support.

Hello @Happygirl - and :welome:

It's very early days in your recovery and hopefully the bothersome symptoms will settle down as time passes.
I think that you and Pumpkln are right and the tight band feeling around your ankles is due to swelling, and will gradually go away. It's also possible that you still have some nerves that are irritated from the surgery.

The tight band feeling around your knee will be with you for some time, although it, too, will fade gradually.

Have you considered elevating your legs overnight as well? Many people find that's very helpful. Every little bit helps.

I've put your surgeries and their date into your signature and added you to the October Feisties surgery list..

Last edited:
My revision was Oct 7th so I am just a couple days before you but I only had 1 knee done! I applaud you on having bilateral! I haven't experienced the ankle bands although my skin seems very tender to much pressure. I still have bruising there so I am assuming it is swelling and bruising causing it. I do have a sharp pain on the medial side of my knee. It improves slightly when I stretch the knee on my bike. I can now go full circle very slowly.
Wishing you the very best and please let us know if you have relief from the ankle band tightness!

Thank you Cele and LindaO.
I know it is still early and I need to be patient.
Good recovery to you LindaO. I did the bike yesterday also for the first time and it felt good to do the rotation.
Cheers!

My surgery was aug 20th I still have the band feeling. My dr. Said sometimes you can have it up to 6months.

I first felt the ankle band when I had the first surgery for 2 stage revision 5 months ago. It never went away. I had the new prosthetic implanted 2 months ago, and still have the tight ankle band feeling. My OS said it was probably due to swelling. I have quite a lot of lower leg swelling, and not able to wear anything but a loose slip on.

Thank you LolaBee for the reply. I am sorry to hear you've had to go through a revision. Wishing you the best recovery. I hope my ankle band is due to swelling. My legs don't look excessively swollen, but there must be pressure on nerves. Thank you for sharing you experience.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom