RTKR on Oct.23

Arty_Pantz

Country
United States United States
Hi all! I'm scheduled for right TKR on October 23. I'm 51 but was born with knee issues and had surgery when I was 6 due to them turning in.

My right knee has never been right. I've always had some pain in it that has just increased with age. I saw an ortho surgeon several years ago and all he said was that I needed knee replacement but was too young for it so he gave me cortisone and sent me home. Needless to say, I did not return to him.

My new surgeon said I am bone on bone, with a large spur and some bowing starting but he seemed a little reluctant due to my age. He said younger people are just not as happy with a new knee because it's not like a real one. However, we discussed the pros and cons and I feel that surgery would be better now because the pain is getting worse and keeping me up at night.

Now my questions; since I've had a previous surgery, will there be a lot of scar tissue that needs removed? Removing the bone spur would also cause more soreness and possibly slower recovery time would it not? Have any of you had to deal with either of these things?

The left knee needs a total as well, but it's nowhere near as bad as the right, for those who have had both done, how long did you wait between surgeries?

Hello @Arty_Pantz :

Welcome to the forum.

Some of the more senior folks will be along with a lot of info and may be able to answer your questions about scar tissue and the bone spur.

My OS requires a minimum of 12 weeks between TKRs. I think I was pretty well prepared mentally and physically at 4 months and could have proceeded any time after that. I ended up waiting 9 months because of vacations we had scheduled.

Best of luck to you.

He said younger people are just not as happy with a new knee because it's not like a real one.
This is an old wive's tale of major proportions! So untrue it's a sin!
Besides which, the 50s are no longer considered young for TKR. It's currently to most popular age to have the surgery!
since I've had a previous surgery, will there be a lot of scar tissue that needs removed?
Shouldn't think so! If there had been adhesions (correct name for 'scar tissue') you'd have known about long er this!
Removing the bone spur would also cause more soreness and possibly slower recovery time would it not?
Well most people have bone spurs. It's almost impossible to have an arthritic knee without them!

These were mine and pretty typical of them

16th October 2012 AP a-horz.jpg

Well most people have bone spurs. It's almost impossible to have an arthritic knee without them!

Thank you for your reply, I guess I am just worried because he made a point of saying it's rather large and right on the inside, although he did mention another one behind the knee as well.

This is an old wive's tale of major proportions! So untrue it's a sin!
Besides which, the 50s are no longer considered young for TKR. It's currently to most popular age to have the surgery!

That's what my daughter said and mentioned the fact that my knees have never been normal, so it may be true that some have an issue with them not moving like a real knee, I've never had that anyway.

My tkr surguries will be 5 months apart.

You must have had a good experience to do it again so soon. I hope your next one goes just as well. I'll be sending good thoughts your way!

Why have them done separately? I had them done together, worked fine. And 'not feeling like a real knee' is hardly the point, it's feeling better than the crippled rubbish it replaces that counts and I can tell you that it does, it really does. Every time I go through airport security and set off the alarms I stand PAIN FREE whilst they play with scanners and wands and stuff, and give thanks for my fine new knees.

@Roy Gardiner I don't think anyone in my area does the bilateral, at least none that I know of. I've seen two OS, and neither would do it. The first one I saw suggested a year or more wait between the two.

I completely agree about a new knee having to feel better than the pain I've been in for years. I guess unless the OS himself suffers from knee pain, he would have no idea what it's like.

They did warn me about the alarms, luckily I don't travel much, but I would need to worry about it if I see my daughter at her work.

There are plenty of surgeons. If both knees are beyond hope, then your full recovery doesn't even start until the 2nd is done. A year would be hell, a day would be more like it IMO and that's not even a joke. And why not ask them why they won't do BTKR; nothing about it being hard work, or earning them less, will be mentioned, betcha.

Alarms are not a problem, it just means you have to make sure you've got rid of belts, watches, shoes, the whole shebang, to avoid going round twice.

It's just a little over 2 weeks away and I have to admit, I'm scared. I've seen so many people in other groups that are a year or more out and say they are still in pain every day and that they regret having it done that it's made me have second thoughts, even though I know I need to do this. Especially after reading my x-ray report.

FINDINGS:
Four views of the right knee were obtained. There is bone-on-bone joint space narrowing in the medial compartment with subchondral sclerosis and marginal osteophyte formation. There is suggestion of slight irregularity of the medial femoral condyle. Marginal osteophytosis is noted in the lateral compartment as well as the patellofemoral joint. No acute fracture or dislocation. The patella is appropriately positioned. No significant joint effusion.

I just want to be able to do my 2-4 mile nature walks carrying my big camera , cause nature photography is something I love and I don't want to lose that.

A few of my photos: 28577176_2025225144159941_2422832973165601400_n.jpg IMG_0963.jpg IMG_2050.jpg

Your photos are lovely, @Arty_Pantz . Once your recovery is complete, I see no reason why you should be unable to walk to take such photos again.
Have a look at some of the threads here and see what some people have been able to do with their artificial knees:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

It sounds to me as if your surgeon is not the one for you. I suggest you look for another surgeon - one who will look at the state of your knees before he/she looks at your age.

I was persuaded to wait to have my knee replacement until I was "old enough" Big mistake! I waited for 9 long, miserable years, during which I became progressively more immobilised, until I was almost housebound.

It's 18 years now since I had my first knee replacement. It was a partial, and it lasted for 11 years, before being replaced with a total. I've had three knee replacements now and I can do everything I want to.
I've travelled the world with my artificial knees. They gave me back the life I wanted.

My right knee is almost 7 years old and my left knee is four years old. While I may occasionally have a small amount of short-lived pain if I twist my knees, it soon goes away. Most of th time, I am completely pain-free in my knees.
I know that, without those knee replacements, I would be in a wheelchair now, so I'm very glad to have had them done.

Yes, your photos are lovely! I especially like how you caught the sun in the lighthouse photo!

I lived in Cleveland, Ohio for 7 years and thought it was a beautiful area.

There are a variety of reasons some people still have pain a year out. My best advice to you is to follow the Bonesmart Recovery Guidelines, especially in the area of PT. I bet if those people had known about Bonesmart they could have fared better.

Since you’re only 2 weeks away from your surgery I’m going to give you those guidelines early, they might help you feel more confident going in.

Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only
ONE Recovery Thread.
This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

@Arty_Pantz ... Have you started the Scar Shield test yet?

@Arty_Pantz Welcome to this group, and I am sorry your Dr seems to have given you some bad advice. :headbang: I had one of those too----a surgeon who spent the last 3 years talking me out of knee replacement and into complicated, expensive, and numerous cartilage-repair surgeries----none of which solved the problem. Of my 10 knee surgeries, he did the last 6. I trusted him because he was famous, fixed a lot of pro athletes, and was on the cutting edge of surgical discovery/technology. Wow--was I wrong about the guy! :hissy: Even now, with one knee bone-on-bone and the other <this> close, he kept telling me I'd never be happy with a replacement, using scare tactics and even lies to convince me to avoid them.

I simply said if all I get is standing in one place for 20 minutes with no pain, I'll take it. All he ever seemed to do was look at me one way---my size, fitness level, muscles, etc. He must think I do more in the way of sports than I actually do, because I've had to give up everything except some walking, biking, and strength training over the last 10 yrs----and even those make me miserable. I had to watch every bite I put in my mouth because I can't work it off anymore. Lastly, just because I pushed through the pain for years, doesn't mean I don't hurt----and hurt a lot! It shouldn't take us getting completely home bound or unable to go up/down stairs before we're taken seriously. So I feel for you!!! I only had 20 years of knee problems----I can't imagine the number of years you've dealt with.:thud:

Please know everyone here is wonderful and so helpful. You're in the right place to get truthful, healing information. :) Best of luck to you in finding someone to treat your knees and NOT your age.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom