RTKR on Monday, 4/30 with Spinal

ArmyVet

Country
United States United States
Hoping someone here can calm my nerves. NOT worried about surgery or recovery. What scares the living daylights out of me is spinal anesthesia!!!!

Please tell me it's not as scary as it sounds and that it's not that painful!!!

Ask for a sedative.

Some people have had the spinal without feeling it, because they are already almost asleep.

having had two cesarean when my children were born am not fond of an epidural. I would rather be knock out. it was not painful but just did not like the idea and feeling of the needle between my vertebrae

I had one four weeks ago, previously having generals. I was not given a sedative first, told to lie on my side, one guy holding my hands and the other behind doing the business. Just a slight prick and and a few minutes later all was numb on lower half. I was awake the whole op ... didn't like the sound of what was going on, but all well. Good thing is there is no nausea when anaesthetic wears off.

Best wishes to you. xx

Had an epidural,was given Versed( a sedative). Didn’t feel a thing! They work so fast on you,all of a sudden you wake up and it is over! Then the journey begins!

I told the anesthesiologist I didn't want to know anything about anything, so she gave me a lovely sedative in the OR and I didn't even know when she put in the spinal. I woke up seconds later (actually, an hour and a half) in the recovery room with a clear head and two new knees. Easy as can be. :)

I was a little leery of the idea of a spinal, but was glad I did it. They gave me some kind of sedative and so I don't remember a thing. I woke up feeling like I'd had a good nap.

I am scheduled for LTKR on 1st May and will be having a spinal. I had arthroscopy on left knee approx 6 weeks ago, which is when they discovered that the knee needed replacing, and had a spinal then as well. I can honestly say that I was delighted with the spinal and much preferred it to when I have had general anaesthetic for others surgery. There were no issues at all and would recommend a spinal every time. Best wishes for your surgery and keep us all updated.

I had to chuckle (at myself) because your post made me remember my own experience. Having spent most of my life working in ORs, I'd seen and helped with scores of spinals and epidurals and they always gave me the shudders. I frequently said that is every anyone wanted to do that on me, they'd have to catch me first! However, when it came to my turn, I realised that the knee was of far more importance than the spinal so I meekly walked into the theater and 'assumed the position' on the trolley! It was actually fine. I also had told the anaesthetist that I wanted to know nothing - no tourniquet going on the leg, no doors opening, nothing. He was as good as his word and even as I lay down on the pillow, that was the last I knew until I was being wheeled along the corridor to recovery feeling all warm and cosy and pain free! That's the best of a spinal - no pain at all for the first 24hrs!

You go for it - it'll be the best thing you ever do!

I had an epidural 17 years ago for a c section and i recall it being rather painful. No sedation. I was awake for c section which was fine but it HURT when the needle went in.

Fast forward to last year when I had a spinal plus sedation for TKR. This was altogether different. The last thing I recall is sitting on the gurney in the cold and bright operating room and being asked to lean forward for the spinal. I have no memory of the actual needle or of any kind of pain. It felt like I woke up in the blink of an eye in recovery and the first thought in my mind before I opened my eyes was that i wasnt sure whether the surgery hadn't started yet or was over with.

@ArmyVet All the best tomorrow! See you on the other side soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom