TKR RTKR followed by Revision . Now LTKR giving trouble.

@Satsu I had my primary replacement in December 2013 and my total revision 9/10/2014. The cramping/contraction pains never went away until after the revision. That is one pain I can say is totally gone.
@Jamie I do attend PT 5 days a week.
We r only working on light flexion,
extension, NO strengthening. I get 10
mins moist heat, gentle heal slides,
straight leg raises with the assistance of
a stretch strap (quad not firing yet), heal raises, 5 mins on a recumbent stepper,
lay it over a bolster for 5 mins, some
gentle stretching then the almighty ice.
My flexion is still at 75° n the doc is
happy with that. I had a severe femur
infection, metal allergy, failed implant
and multi directional instability. Short of it, a complete mess.
@RestAssured I contacted Maale n emailed several pictures to Tim (PA). Right now he said it looks ok, but to keep a close eye on it, measure daily at pt, watch for fevers and check back in Thursday. I have an ace wrap on it which it seems to like. I just got scared and am still scared that I could lose my leg. I think I'm having major anxiety right now. Thanks all for your well wishes, kind words and thoughts.
PS: I've started with some light massages three times a day
OMG, you've been through a lot! I hope that the worst has passed for you.

Please just google what I've posted before, because it has worked for me and might work for you. Its worth a try!
Its called CRAMPZ..... I usually dont believe in things that sound odd (like crampz) but I was desperate to end the night time muscle spasms that would wake me from a sound sleep and I had to jump out of bed and try to do anything that would help, like sleeping with a heating pad around my leg.. Now when it happens, I jump up and go get the bottle of crampz, rub it on and sleep the rest of the night.. I don't know whats in that stuff but it doesn't have a bad smell to it and its clear like water. At first I thought I was wasting my money on some snake oil that would never work. But it did, and still does work for me. I think its worth a try for any of you that are troubled with those terrible muscle spasms that disrupt your sleep.. My spasms were so bad that the next day my calf or thigh would be sore from the spasms. In fact those muscles would be sore for days sometimes. Good luck to any of you suffering muscle spasms. No picnic.:gaah:

Post your new thread title and a moderator will change both for you.

Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014

@mommabarefoot, I have changed your prefix from TKR to Revision. What would you like to change your title to? Let me know and I will change it for you.

@Satsu after moist heat, heal slides and a little stretching I lay my leg over a bolster (log like thing) and let it dangle for 5 mins

Hear Ye Hear Ye Ladies!!!!! My flexion has increased to 80° this morning in PT. I wrapped my knee with an ace wrap which seems to help a little with swelling. 80° heal slide is awesome.

drum roll.jpg
yes 5.jpg
80 degree flexion!!!! Way to go! Only gets better and better from here!

@mommabarefoot - I am sorry you have had to go through so much. Revisions are hard and I found that after my revision that I swelled much worse than my original surgery and it was a harder recovery. Sounds like you are finding some positives, though. Good for you!!

Can I ask what your doctor said after you had a scope? What did he see during the scope and has he said anything (if you speak to him) about missing that you had an infection and loose component?
What was your recovery like after your scope? I know what a recovery is like after a scope before a tkr, but is it different after a tkr?

Take care and keep up the good work!

@Coachie

I ask what your doctor said after you had a scope?
That was done by my second Dr. All he talked about was scar tissue and that I needed to have patience. All he had to do was turn the camera to look at the femur area.

What did he see during the scope and has he said anything (if you speak to him) about missing that you had an infection and loose component?

Idon't talk to the first 3 Drs as we are considerin legal action.

What was your recovery like after your scope?

I didn't notice anything different except for a little less pressure. I stayed in PT from 12/13 to 06/14

I know what a recovery is like after a
scope before a tkr, but is it different after a tkr

I've had prob 10 scopes before TKR and
1 after and there was no difference. Prob because the infection.

I'll tell you one thing....its night n day between my primary surgery and this revision. Thanks for ur kind words

@mommabarefoot ...if you still want a new thread title, you'll need to tell us what you would like it to be.

I left your thread title, because I thought your friends might look for you using it and just added the revision information. If you don't like that, just let us know what you want and we will change it for you right away.

@mommabarefoot,

I am glad that you contacted them about your leg since you were worried! I stared at mine quite a bit after the revision surgery at first; only natural. Please keep the questions coming that you have. We are here to help,; we have been through this before you, and we stick around to try and ease the fears of others after us':console2:

Are they doing lymphatic massage? That will help drain the fluids and get the circulation moving. Dr. Maale recommended it to me when my knee turned black. Within a week, it was back to a healthy pink and I was a happy camper again!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm at day 30 post op today. I'm beyond frustrated and sick n tired of layin around.Flexion at 80°, exextension at 5°, 18 days away from getting PICC line removed, started quad sets today. Pain is much better, but still around a 4-5 with movements and nagging other times. I've been left to tend to myself, even to shower and dress alone. I'm very very depressed an don't know what to do. Guess just feeling really alone. Have been cleared to start a little walking and strengthening. PT is still 5 days a week. When, if ever, will I get back to life?

You sound like you are doing better it is just going to take time. I agree with the frustration, I am seven weeks out from a TLKR you have been through a lot in a short amount of time. I agree some doctors don't care that was the way the first doctor I saw was told me if I was 20 years older he would do a knee replacement told me to live with the pain for a year then come back. Well I found a different doctor who was much more understanding, we tried fixing the problems with arthroscopic surgeries but they didn't realize the pain. So he said my only option was a knee replacement. Yes the recovery has been rough but I keep telling myself it will get better. I have had some of the same things with pain that you have but not all the problems. I wish you luck, just remember you will get better in time.

Mommabarefoot,
You are in the dog days of TKR, here are the recovery articles for you to review, I always find something helpful I missed on previous reading or just plain forgot.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
*Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Also check out the games room to keep busy, you will find it in the social room.
Hope you start feeling better soon, your being bored is a good sign you are healing!

Thanks for the responses. I was such an active person before 12/17/2013 (original TKR) It has just been a very rough 10 months. I guess I'm having a pitty party for one, which I need to stop. I'm excited to say I have 16 days left (of 7.5 weeks total) with these IV antibiotics and PICC line.
I have a question and hope someone can help. When I'm upright walking or sitting my knee turns purple and eventually it goes from upper knee to the foot. How r what can I do to stop this "pooling" situation?

@mommabarefoot ,

When you get up and start moving does the leg start returning to a normal color? Work on ankle pumps and heel slides (if permitted) to get the blood circulating. You can also do lymph massage yourself. First, I would call Dr. Maale's office if moving around is not causing the leg to return to a normal color to ask for their advice. Then, if they say Lymph massage is ok, I will explain how to do it. With each situation, it is different.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom