THR RTHR UPDATE

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Hello and Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Hopefully with passing time and some rest you’re feeling better since you last posted.
At only two months into a recovery that can last a full year, even longer for some you‘ll continue to enjoy steady progress for months to come. Wishing you a great day and a happy new year!
@desperate2golf

OP
OP
D

desperate2golf

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello everyone. I just wanted to pop in and ask how everyone is doing. It's now just over 16 weeks since my TRHR, had the sign off from the surgeon and he is happy with my progress. There are still days when I struggle a bit to get totally walking without any limp, pain or stooping but in general terms, I feel so much better although sleeping is still a struggle. I've never been 'good' at sleeping, post op on my back was a nightmare but now I'm back to normal side sleeping with pillow between the legs! Other ailments don't help, PMR is an ongoing saga although I'm trying hard to kick the meds, with difficulty. Slow progress and strongly advised against the cold turkey attempt. All in all, everything is going well, scar still has burning sensations from time to time but I'm a happy girl.
Thoughts and good wishes to everyone recovering and hope you are all doing well. xx

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Thanks for stopping by with your cheerful update and well wishes for others.
So very thoughtful of you!

There are still days when I struggle a bit to get totally walking without any limp,
Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Here is a visual on heel-toe walking -
1639236580030.jpeg

Happy Thursday! I hope you have a great weekend. :)

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Fingers crossed you’re doing well and enjoying steady progress. Hopefully sleeping becomes easier for you soon. Hang in there, it will get better. :sleep:
@desperate2golf

OP
OP
D

desperate2golf

Country
Hello everyone.

I hope everyone pre op/post op are doing well.

I haven't been here for a while but thought I'd ask for some advice. Seven months post op and I feel as though I'm going backwards. I have terrible pain in my hip area/sciatica location which has been getting worse over the last few weeks. It goes all the way down my leg and my calf burns almost like hot pins being pushed into the muscle. Is this a normal reaction in some instances. I was doing well and feel so deflated, I cannot walk far now and if I have to, I need to use a walking stick!! I cannot stand up straight or put pressure on my leg, when I get up from a chair I have to concentrate on which leg to move first. This is so depressing, I have managed to get a Drs face to face appointment for next week and will be asking for an x-ray or MRI because I feel as though something has gone wrong. I have had a couple of 'soft tissue treatments' over the last month but it has done nothing to help the pain. Sleeping is a nightmare and pain killers are not very effective. I am still on steroids for PMR although slowly coming down on dosage.

Any suggestions or advice would be very welcome. Thank you so much, I honestly feel as though I was better off with the pre op pain. Not good.

Elf1

Staff member since October 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@desperate2golf I suggest you post this on your recovery thread. I think you'll probably get more input there and its easier for folks to answer if they can see what your recovery has been like. I've posted a link to your recovery thread in case you weren't sure where it was.

Jockette

Staff member since March 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@desperate2golf I’ve moved your post to your own recovery thread so you could get replies to your situation. We prefer not to discuss your recovery in someone else’s thread.

I was doing well and feel so deflated, I cannot walk far now and if I have to, I need to use a walking stick!! I cannot stand up straight or put pressure on my leg, when I get up from a chair I have to concentrate on which leg to move first. This is so depressing,
I‘m sorry you are having quite a bit of pain at this point. Have you started any new activities or increased an activity that you’ve been doing?

CricketHip

Staff member since June 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I am sorry to read your update, that you are having such pain. I think I've mentioned this before, that my husband had a long bout with PMR and I remember him having quite a bit of low back and leg pain.. there were times when he was weaning off the steroids and would need to up them again, due to recurring pain or those nasty headaches.
Your case may not be like his at all but have you considered talking to your Rheumatologist?
It probably is an aggravated sciatic nerve, but wanted to throw that out there for you to mull over.

If it's not related to PMR then I wanted you to know that it took quite some time to wean off the steroids but he did and hasn't had a setback in any way and it's been about 2 years in remission at this point.
Other than that, I like Jockette's question about new activities? Or maybe longer durations of old activities?

OP
OP
D

desperate2golf

Country
Jockette - thank you for moving my post. I couldn't find my originals and kinda lost my way - so sorryx
To answer your questions, I haven't really done anything different, a bit of gardening but nothing initially that created pain. Everything was good for a few months but just gone pear shaped now.
Sadly someone else also posted a reply to me but it's now not on my thread..... oh well. My post has also disappeared but in the middle of replying to you my computer crashed. Everything vanished.
Thanks and sorry again. Will try and remember where to be!

OP
OP
D

desperate2golf

Country
I am sorry to read your update, that you are having such pain. I think I've mentioned this before, that my husband had a long bout with PMR and I remember him having quite a bit of low back and leg pain.. there were times when he was weaning off the steroids and would need to up them again, due to recurring pain or those nasty headaches.
Your case may not be like his at all but have you considered talking to your Rheumatologist?
It probably is an aggravated sciatic nerve, but wanted to throw that out there for you to mull over.

If it's not related to PMR then I wanted you to know that it took quite some time to wean off the steroids but he did and hasn't had a setback in any way and it's been about 2 years in remission at this point.
Other than that, I like Jockette's question about new activities? Or maybe longer durations of old activities?
Hi CricketHip, Thanks for your reply. I have an appointment, albeit by phone, with my Rheumatologist but only at the end of June. I have tried getting a face 2 face appointment but he's fully booked, and he only works a few hours a week. I am reluctant to increase the steroids, I don't think the pain is PMR related but will certainly talk to him and get his advice. The side effects of steroids is dreadful which is why I'm trying to get off, been reducing .05mg a month so it's been a slow process but if I need to go back up so be it.
Well done to your husband for being in remission, I'm looking forward to that day! I've had PMR for almost three and a half years so onwards and upwards.
Thanks for your advice, take care x

CricketHip

Staff member since June 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I’m so sorry that you’ve struggled with PMR for over 3 years. Also that the steroids are not agreeing with you.
My husband can relate! He didn’t need a joint replacement but had a triple bypass and what a juggling act with the steroids.
I wish for you to have a resolution to both issues and you are steroid free soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bhoova
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom