THR THR - One year on

Hey, @Gloucestergal65 , I'm going in Great Western in Swindon. I opted to wait, been a while but I've kept going. Totally freaking some days, as I'm not looking forward to it.
I have a friend also in Gloucester direction, who is a few months head of me. It's good to hear stories of people recovering, just to confirm it happens!! I was quite active until I started with the hip, so im so hoping to be more active than I am now, after recovery. Your diary is great BTW.

Four and a half months post op. Feeling a bit tender and achy this week after my Hydro session on Monday where I think the PT was perhaps a little bit too enthusiastic. Discomfort rather than pain, an awareness that those muscles around my hip did a bit too much work that they’re not quite ready for. But they are beginning to work which is great.
Coming to the end of April and only averaging 1.3 miles a day after two months of 1.6 miles a day. Partly the weather which has been terrible here in the UK, but also because I am getting on with life now and not as focussed on how far I can walk or how long I can walk, just using walking as a means of getting me to where I want to go.
The next steps are: being able to tie my own shoelace (summer is coming and sandals may put this off for a while), ditching the sticks and planning a trip abroad. Too busy in May and June to think about the latter so maybe later in the year.
Onwards and upwards fellow bonesmarties. Thanks for all the support.

@Uk Hippie - The Winfield, Gloucester, part of The Ramsey Group. I opted to get it over with and go private. Apart from the money, I haven’t regretted it.
Where are you?
I have been writing the diary mostly for myself but I’m happy for other people to benefit from it too. Some of the stories on here freaked me out so it’s good to have some balance with some that just chug along slowly.
I'm in swindon just down thr road from you. I think I did reply to you but I have no idea where the reply went I'm kinda new to the forum 'threads'.. where the messages go are somewhat a mystery of the universe!

Hi @Gloucestergal65
Congrats on your milestone.... truly is the little things.

Early morning East Coast U.S.:mcoffee:
Watching all the pomp and circumstance on your side of the pond.... :wowspring:

I managed to catch the back of my ankle on the corner of the shower door yesterday although I can’t really imagine quite how I did it. It bled a little, not as much as I would have liked even though I squeezed hard (as per the advice I was given at my six week check), had my shower, slapped a load of Savlon on and a plaster and I’m hoping for the best. Just when the anxiety levels were normalising.

Five months today. Walked 7,500 steps yesterday and 6,500 the day before so I’m clearly feeling stronger. Still using a stick, sometimes two, when outside to stop me limping. My heel isn’t fully recovered yet so I’ve avoided the swimming pool this week. Unfortunately my shoes rub on the scar although I have now got a Compeed plaster on the scar and I’m hoping this will work.
I haven’t started the Physio led Pilates yet because it clashes with the Hydrotherapy but I have an appointment for an assessment. I’m looking forward to becoming more flexible again as well as building strength in my whole body.
My knees have been complaining a bit on the stairs which is a bit of a worry and some if the posts on this forum set off my worry brain from time to time.
But the good news is that I am out and about and getting on with life. Not as energetically as in the past, more gently and thoughtfully.
And spring finally looks likes it’s arriving.
Good luck to all and a big thank you to you all of you who have kept my spirits up during the last five months. :flwrysmile:

I hear you and your worry brain - I'm sure you're right to ignore the wee niggles!
BTW I find Compeed and similar gel plasters are magical for healing - the trick is not to change them every day but to leave them on as long as you can - suggestion is 3 to 7 days - so long as everything is clean with no new bleeding.
Lots of evidence now to say superficial wounds heal faster and with less scarring in a moist rather than dry environment (note - we are not talking about deep surgical wounds or those in diabetics where there is risk of infection)

@Newhip_Pol Thank you for the useful information. I’ve used them before for walking blisters but never really thought much about the cut and the healing. However, my consultant stressing the ‘infection’ issue sent my worry brain into overdrive. I took off the Compeed that I put in yesterday and it all looks clean but I can see that there is a loose flap which might just be superficial and not really open very deep. However, being on the back of my heel and not being a contortionist (even without the arthritis) I can’t get a proper look at it. I’ll take your advice though and leave the new plaster on for a few days and decide on Monday whether or not to get back in the pool. Thanks again.

@Newhip_Pol I’ve just realised that in fact they’re waterproof. Also, one of the reasons I took the plaster off was because there was a white patch where the wound is and now that I’ve read the information I understand what that is. So helpful. :thankyou:

leave the new plaster on for a few days
Just remember to get medical advice if there's any increasing redness or irritation around the wound.
Also, they are waterproof but if the edge is not completely sealed because of an awkward area (knuckles, ankles) then if immersed in water then the edge may lift and the plaster may dislodge. Recent experience with minor burn on finger testifies to that! All healed now though.

One strange thing I’ve noticed since surgery which may or may not be related is that the fingertip on my second finger on my right hand is numb. Could this in any way be connected to the right hip replacement? Looking for answers or observations.

I'm going to say very unlikely, unless somehow a pulse oximeter, the electronic device they stuck on your finger that measures the saturation of oxygen carried in your red blood cells could've squeezed a nerve (can't imagine that either)
All niggles for Six months or more became hip surgery concerns in my mind and with all the down time, you tend to become hyper aware!
:sigh:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom