THR RTHR recovery thread - posterior approach

I need advice on doing stairs the “regular” way. I can go downstairs just fine now. I overdid it going up the stairs and after healing back up, tried 2 stairs. It’s still kicking my muscles. Any advice? Too soon? I’m 6 weeks today.

Last edited:
It is too soon if your hip is saying too soon as yours is. Many people have issues coming down the stairs longer but we are all different. Give it a few days and try a stair or two again. Your hip will let you know when it is ready. Also, try to make sure you are not overworking your hip/leg with other activities so it is not tired. It does come with more healing and time. Have a peaceful night.

Thank you! I’m going to back off stairs for now and get pain free. Then start with baby steps.

At 6.5 weeks post op, I feel like I’m doing well and certainly am not complaining. I wake every morning with achey sore muscles down the side and back of my thigh, it also can pop up anytime during the day as well. I sleep with a good body pillow that supports my hip to ankle in the right position and I get being stiff after lying down for so long. My question is how do I help these muscles? I do all of the post op exercises without issues, I can walk without assistance and without a limp. I use my crutch whenever I’m tired or in new areas or walking for long distances.

Is this just part of healing, do I need new exercises? Icing works wonderfully on the area that aches. I am not doing formal PT. Thank you in advance , again, to the amazing brain trust here! You are all the best!

My question is how do I help these muscles?
Activities of daily living. You are not in training for anything. Everything is healing. Just ease into your normal daily routine. Walking is also good for a new hip.

6.5 weeks into a process that can take one year or more is early days.

Sounds good,! Thank you!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? Wondering if stairs aren’t getting any easier. It can take time and patience for sure. Please update us as time allows. We’d love to hear from you.
Have a great week! :)
@Lucy4

Thank you for checking! I’m doing well! I can do stairs fairly easily, but still do the old way when my hip has had enough that day! I am walking without a crutch most of the time but still use it when I’m tired or did a bit too much. My favorite moment was walking with my husband and realizing I was really walking! No crutch, pain free and enjoying it! ☺️☺️☺️

i keep being surprised (you think I’d learn ) at how sore my muscles get and stiff I can be! But when that happens, I’ll turn another corner in the next day or two. I certainly see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I do need some advice, I’m now almost 10 weeks post op and am planning a trip to see my Mom. It’s about 9-10 hours by car. I’ll be going alone. I’m trying to decide if I can try to make it it one day with frequent stops to walk around or if I should b it up with an overnight stay. Any thoughts?

It sounds as though you’re doing well. Good to hear it, thanks for updating!

About the car ride, I’m not the best one to give advice because I don’t believe I could have made that trek at ten weeks post op. I know for the first few months I could barely tolerate being confined in a car seat for more than 30-40 minutes. Since my discomfort eased slowly, I don’t recall at which point I became comfortable. Also, I really don’t normally travel anywhere over an hour and have only been on road trips of approx three hours since I’ve had my hip replaced.

Base your decision on how well you tolerate the confines of a car and the length of time you know you’re comfortable driving these days. I’d definitely plan for frequent breaks to stretch and walk. Maybe you should see how it goes and if after four-five hours you don’t know if you’ll be able to tolerate the full drive, you get a room for the night.

Wishing you the all the best and a great visit with your mom. Let us know how the road trip went upon your return, I’ll be interested in hearing how you handled the drive.
Safe travels!
@Lucy4

Maybe you should see how it goes and if after four-five hours you don’t know if you’ll be able to tolerate the full drive, you get a room for the night.

If your drive permits this kind of potential stop, this is a great idea. Then you'll have the flexibility you need. Take some ice with you too.

If in your normal circumstances this is not a super long drive, and if you are generally comfortable sitting in the car ... then you could well be fine.

Here is my experience -- but ... my hips are both anterior approach, which seems easier since I never sat on my incision. I like driving and for me 9-10 hours is an easy day's drive. At 5.5 weeks out from hip no. 1, I did a 12 hour drive, no issues (actually a 16, but stopped at 12 because 16 is just too long). Drove back a week later by that same route. Stopped at a few more rest stops than normal, but not really too much. Iced at night in the hotel. I always futz with the seat during a long drive so that my position varies a little. And have seat heat. I worried about this trip a lot beforehand, but it was fine.

These days I'd worry more about stopping (covid) than about my hip. Please stay safe out there.

@cstinchcomb Thank you, I’m planning on taking ice for the drive. I appreciate your update and I feel better, we make this drive typically 4-5 times a year and while I get antsy , I’m fine. I also bought a gel seat to see if that helps.

I am worried more about covid and stops etc but I haven’t seen my Mom since last Thanksgiving and I’m determined to get this done, one way or another! I’m masked up and lots of hand sanitizer.

I’ll let you all know how it goes!

I have been having a lot of muscle stiffness and pain that didn’t seem right. I self referred to a PT and hit the jackpot. She was great and nothing I was uncomfortable with - thank goodness! What I wanted to share was the needling she did. It worked miracles with my mobility. I’m going back when I get back from my trip!

I was able to make this 10 hour drive yesterday with NO pain/soreness and no after effects! I stopped every 1.5 hours and did a quick stretch and then back on the road. I had forgotten that my pain memory on this trip was from PRE surgery. What a joy to drive painlessly! What a miracle this surgery is!

This is way it's all about @Lucy4 - living life again without that horrid pre-op pain. It is definitely a joy! So glad your drive went well.

:hi: Happy Three Month Anniversary, Lucy!
Awesome news regarding the ten hour drive without incident.
Hope October is going well for you. We’re almost halfway through the month already!
Take good care and stay in touch. :)
@Lucy4

:hi:Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you’re doing since we last heard from you? I hope all is well and you’re enjoying steady progress. We’d love to hear from you when you have time.
Have a great weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Lucy4

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie