THR RTHR recovery thread - posterior approach

Question about Ted socks. My surgeon wants me wearing them for 4 weeks (until my follow up appointment ). I took my Ted socks off and my non-surgical side foot is pretty swollen. The other side is just fine. I’m leaving them off for now and elevating to reduce swelling. Any advice?

I cannot offer medical advice but I can tell you that my surgeon does not use Ted stockings for which I am very grateful. I did do a lot of ankle pumps and got up quite often to walk - mainly to the bathroom. Keep elevating as you are doing. You can also check with your OS about the swelling in your opposite foot and see if they will bend their rule.

Thank you for your update. It’s interesting how surgeons vary so widely in their approaches. After elevating, the swelling is down a lot. I’ll call tomorrow and check. I walk a lot and do ankle pumps frequently as well.

I’ve not needed Tramadol today, which is great, but my week caught up with me and I’m exhausted today. Lots of napping!

I lost my TEDS in washing machine...:unsure:
but I did lots of foot wriggling and walked about every hour or so along with the regimen of aspirin the doc had me on.

@Lucy4 I enjoyed catching up on your thread, just now. I think you are doing very well and you are approaching your recovery with a good outlook. That is wonderful!

Another interesting thought in regards to the non operative foot swelling. That leg and foot are also adjusting to your new gait. Most likely your gait, pre op, was off and the non operative leg was compensating in many ways that you were not aware of.

Our recovery can turn into a full body experience at times and that's when it's good to have extra ice packs! :ice:

I usually follow doctor’s orders unless there is good reason. I took off my TED hose a few days post op: 1) it was almost an after thought at hospital as they were given to me as I rolled out the door 2) my thigh above the sock on op side swelled to a ridiculous level with a matching level of pain. It all improved with sock off, elevation, and regular movement. Followed everything else so was confident in my action. Maybe it would help to keep them on if they were a little more attractive? Lol. Hope your swelling improves soon. It can take a while before it all disappears. ❤️

My doctor was fine with removing the Ted hose- thank you God! I am active enough and take aspirin so he has no worries! And my foot is back to normal!

Felt great today, staples come out tomorrow and life is good. Baby steps and enjoying the moment. I can’t wait for my follow up in 2 weeks and be able to sleep on my side! Either works for me! My doctor likes us to wait till our follow up. I’m just happy I sleep well enough on my back!

Again, so great fun for this forum!

No Ted stockings- yay. Staple removal was a big step for me and one to celebrate. Somehow it was a sign of my progress in recovery. You are very lucky that you can sleep on your back. Have a peaceful evening dreaming of no staples.

Wonderful @Lucy4 ! I was very very good with the awful stockjngs with #1, and they drove me nuts! #2 I came home with a pair that were clearly too small, as I had the same swelling that @Hip4life had; very very painful and scary! I dug out the old ones, and wore those for a couple of days, and then gave up. I was much happier, no difference in swelling, and I never told the OS. I have since found a source for well-fitting ones which I often wear to reduce the pain from the multitude of spider veins that appeared on my ankles immediately after hip number two... sheesh. It's the boots on the Hana table used for anterior approach. And genes... sigh.

Yay! What a relief to get rid of the TEDS. :yahoo: I realize they serve a purpose, but who can stand them...no one, lol. Foot swelling gone, staples out tomorrow, sleeping well enough...all good! You’re on your way, Lucy.
Hope you have a great week!
@Lucy4

I’m just over 3 weeks post op and in general doing very well. Was discharged from PT as I passed all my milestones. But (and isn’t there always a but?) my right leg (operated side) muscles and knee are more sore than ever and I have a bit of groin pain on walking. I can walk between 5-10 steps without the crutch and without limping. I’ve been doing basic PT (a few standing and lying exerc) and walking about 2500-3500 steps per day. I started taking Tylenol and Advil as needed, but forget to take until I’m hurting.

What’s your advice? I’m so thankful for this place, great, compassionate advice and understanding.

@Lucy4 , you are so early in your recovery journey that some pain is normal. Try to take the Tylenol on a schedule so that you get ahead of any pain. Also, don't forget to ice:ice: and elevate if you stopped. Icing is wonderful in helping with pain control but make sure you do it for 45-60min at a time.

At 3 weeks there is no reason to push walking without aids but concentrate on proper gait and no limping. You will know when it is time to give up the aids. I used my cane for quite a while to make sure I was safe and walking properly.

If you are experiencing pain, perhaps it would be best to cut back on the exercises for a few days and just ice and see how you feel. Time to exercise the patience muscle and remember that slow and steady is the best path.

Thank you! I needed to hear that. It’s so hard to remember that 3 weeks is early in hip replacement. You are the best.

I’ve been taking Tylenol and resting a bit more. I’m doing 100% better! I also used Magnesium last night and slept much better!

Awesome Lucy! I sense your enthusiasm. I hope you sleep well tonight also.
Wishing you a peaceful one. :yawn: :sleep:
@Lucy4

Officially 4 weeks post op! What a difference between 3 and 4 weeks for me. It’s seems like all of the sudden, less aches and pains. The weirdest thing is that going down the stairs today, I found myself going down “normally”. I stopped and did my normal shuffle down the stairs, but absolutely had no pain at all. Love glimmers of the future!

Hello Lucy, Happy Four Weeks to you!
It sounds as though you’re on your way:walking: And just think it will get better and better.
Wishing you a great week!
@Lucy4

Officially one month to date. :yay: Reason to celebrate! :happydance:
Have a wonderful weekend!
@Lucy4

Yay...happy one month hipversary.:egypdance:
Onward and upward, hippy friend.

I had my first and only post op appointment and was released! Next appointment in a year. I’m off restrictions with the warning of be smart. I can do that! Walking without a crutch around the house, I use a crutch out still. I finally get to sleep on my sides but wasn’t as amazping as I’d imagined. But I feel like I’m on my way, hopefully only good news from her on. So thankful for this forum! ❤️

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back