BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

RTHR only a week away and I'm just now finding this place...yikes!!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Bellydansr, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Bellydansr

Bellydansr Junior Member

United States United States
    Hi all. It has been 10 long years of intermittent pain that has lead me down this path. I was a competitive gymnast growing up and a cheerleader from 3rd grade through college. I have coached HS and all star cheer for the past 10 years and still stunt with my girls/guys. I moved to TN last year and haven't coached since moving here, but I am hoping to start back. I am also a belly dancer to which my son has told me I put the belly in bellydancing. LOL!! About 10 years ago, I thought I had a groin pull, a pretty severe one, but did much about it. For years I thought I just kept re-injuring it. About 2 or 3 years ago, I switched and decided maybe it was my psoas that I had screwed up. Lately, I looked into FAI. Finally, decided to go the doctor. He informed me that I had a labral tear and arthritis, along with very little space between the ball and socket in both hips. He said, wow, you must have been a great gymnast and cheerleader! Well, what else was I supposed to say but....Why yes, I was. :heehee: It apparently made for great flexibility.

Well, I went home to inform my husband, who said I was too young for hip replacement surgery. I explained that the dr said that it was too late for arthroscopic surgery and I am deathly afraid of needles, so cortisone shots were totally out of the question! They would only last 4-6 weeks if they worked at all. Seriously?? :bolt: So, we decided to go for a second opinion and I made him go with me this time. Again, same diagnosis, same recommendation. Only this time, this guy had a much better bedside manner and has been doing the anterior approach for years, which is what I was wanting.

Now, the funny thing with all this is that I just went through all of this with my 80 yr old dad last March!! Imagine my shock when I found out it was my turn!! I spent 3 weeks with my parents helping him.

My biggest question I have is recovery time. I am hoping to be back at my part time job fairly soon and bellydancing in about 2 months. Fingers crossed!! Is this asking too much?? How long till I can walk up a flight of 15 steps? All our bedrooms and baths are upstairs. That could become an issue...:bath:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2017
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart. So glad you found us!

You'll be able to go up and down stairs before coming home from the hospital (one step at a time and slowly, of course), so you could go up to sleep. You may want to make a "recovery nest" for yourself downstairs somewhere, though....your call. Some people find it easier to stay on one floor for a while.

I think you better plan for 10-12 weeks if at all possible of recovery time before work or dancing. Some people heal a bit sooner and others take longer. That is about the average time, though. Of course you are able to do things as you recover. You won't be stuck in bed by any means. But you will want to limit your activity during the first couple of months while your body heals from surgery.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that come up. We're here for you!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

@Bellydansr Hi!! Glad you made your own thread. :) I have done the injections and the longest one lasted 7weeks.(Total of 4 in the last year and 3 months) They are most certainly not fun. LOL
    The way I am approaching this is, I am giving myself a full 90 days to get back to the day to day things and I am planning on taking things slow for the next 6 months. If I do better in my recovery then that, then I will be pleasantly surprised. I don't want to rush things and end up with making myself have a set back and get all frustrated.
    I am sure some others will be around soon to give you more advise that have already gone through the surgery and recovery just like Jamie. :)

4. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is a bit aggressive. 10-12 weeks is the usual time frame for return to work and the a Phased return to work . And I am certain your hip won't be immediately ready for belly dancing. You will need a bit of gaining flexibility post op before you attempt to do this. I would discuss it with your surgeon.

5. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

Ooh I am jealous! I love the idea of everything you do - cheer leading and belly dancing! I'm no trained dancer (not even a dancer!) but I have been using flags for worship for a number of years and so wish I had some of those skills. I do hope that a new hip with eventually enable you to return to your classes.

6. Bellydansr

Bellydansr Junior Member

Hi Jamie! Thanks! I guess I should explain my job a little better. I am an executive assistant and I work part time 12-5 M-F. I spend most of the day talking with the other girls in the office and just sitting at the computer…ummmm….uhhhhh….pretty much what I’m doing now. :snork: LOL I spend some time sending out emails and typing up contracts, but it’s not a physically demanding job by any means. :type: With that being said, I can’t be out for 10-12 weeks or I will be looking for a new job. The nurse said it might be possible at 2-3 weeks for me to go back. Hopefully with my current activity level, I will recover a bit sooner. Fingers crossed!!

Hi Tweetybyrd!! Although the doctor said he wasn’t going to order physical therapy for me afterwards, I am going to request 2-3 weeks’ worth anyways. I am hoping that will help jump start my recovery. I don’t see any way I can be out longer than 3 weeks from work and that will be pushing it. Like I said above, it’s a very non-physical job. LOL Of course, I can only do so much, so if I have to be out longer and need to look for something else work-wise, then I will have to cross that bridge when it comes.

Hey Jaycey! Yes, I know it is. As for the dancing, I guess I will just have to see how that goes as well. My dad had his hip replaced last March and he is 80. He seemed to recover pretty quickly, so I’m hoping to do a bit better.

Hi Josephine!! I LOVE cheer and dancing. I always have. I feel dancing is a great way to stay in shape and stay young. LOL I have dance classes 3 times a week right now, so I’m hoping that I’m strong enough to help the recovery process along fairly easily. We shall see. I will take it with baby steps.

7. Paddler

Paddler Junior Member

Canada Canada
    @Bellydansr ...I also have a sedentary job and my surgeon thought I would be back at work at the 2 week point BUT now that I am Day 9 post-surgery for LTHR there is no possible way. You are restricted initially in terms of your range of motions and it would be difficult to sit up at a keyboard for long without compromising 90°. I am also finding that I get fatigued easily and that surprises me. It will pass and you cannot rush the healing process. Now I am looking at a return to work at 6 or 7 weeks. I sincerely hope your employer will be lenient....you didn't cause your hip to degenerate!

My lifestyle is fairly active too as I paddle on an all women 60+ competitive dragon boat team. Provided my recovery continues to go smoothly, I plan to be back in the boat in May and that's 16 weeks post-surgery. I'll probably be doing some swimming before then to rebuild cardio and weights but the heavy duty twisting, driving and reaching through the hip will have to wait until the surgeon gives the all-clear.

So many of us have to wait so long for a diagnosis and then surgery it's a shame to rush things because I understand that's when the setbacks occur.

8. Bellydansr

Bellydansr Junior Member

@Paddler ....Thanks! I will have to let him know it might be a longer recovery. The hard part is that my husband and I are going on a month long vacation with my in-laws...yikes :yikes:.....in June for 2 weeks in Italy and a 2 week Mediterranean cruise. It's their last big hoorah/big trip vacation and they wanted us to go with them. It's basically our Christmas and birthday gifts for the rest of our lives from them. LOL But since I will be gone a month then, being gone a month or more now just makes it really bad. So, I may just start quietly looking for something elsewhere. I just know it will be hard to find something that pays as well as this for doing hardly anything. Gosh, that sounds so bad, but it's the truth. Our trip will be 4 1/2 months out from my surgery and it's already paid for. The dr said it won't be a problem. Now I'm wondering if I should just reschedule my surgery. I may have to make a quick appt with my doctor to talk about some things. :umm::chinstroke::what:

9. Dickaroo

Dickaroo New Member

I my surgeon won't let me drive a car for 6 wk after op , not enough strength in musles , etc to control car, if you have an auto gearbox you may get away with it but your insurance company will not be very happy with you in case of a accident , so people returning to work early must think of this unless someone takes them to work because you are not going to walk far at first ,I had my hip done 20th Dec 2016 so now entering my 4th week I am improving slowly and still take painkillers , you have about a 10"cut to heal and it takes time my advise is rest exercise rest and get yourself right again and make it last 20-30 yr

• Like Like x 1
  10. rhino1

rhino1 Junior Member

Every case is different and every person heals different. It is possible to get back quickly, I am a salesman and have been at my desk since a day short of 2 weeks. Its possible but not probable!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

I would not reschedule your surgery. Just see how it goes. Going back part time may be possible but no one can predict. Get that hip done and get on with living.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bellydansr

Bellydansr Junior Member

@Dickaroo …. I would definitely NOT be driving. My husband will have to take me to and from work and anywhere I need/want to go. He had his knee done right after we got married and he reminded me the other night about how I took him everywhere, etc. Luckily, he remembers that, so no complaining when he has to take me. LOL Did you have yours done posteriorly or anteriorly?

@rhino1 ….Thank you! It’s great to know some folks have gotten back into the swing of things earlier on. I have talked to several people who took a very long time and some who went right back to doing things quickly. Only time will tell where I fall along the spectrum. :) I work a desk job part time and I use the term work very loosely. Like today for example, my boss is not here and….well….here I am….LOL. I am blessed that I am not locked to my desk as well. I can get up and move around whenever I want. I have my follow up apt Feb 3rd, so I will find out more then.

@Jaycey ….I’m not. I’ve gone through too much to back out now. LOL Besides, I would hate to not do it and then something happen and be miserable on my vacation in June.

13. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

Hey Lady!! How are you today? Hang in there!:ok:

14. Bellydansr

Bellydansr Junior Member

@Tweetybrd ...Good morning!!! Excited and nervous all at the same time!!! I was reading your post and it reminded me of so many things. I was told not to get a walker or hip kit as the walker would be given to me in the hospital and the OT would let me know if I needed a hip kit. I'm going back on forth on the ice packs as I thought I read somewhere that the ice machines that are so wonderful for knee surgery can work great for hips too. We used to have a machine when my husband had his knee surgery, but he just informed me last night that it never left South Dakota when we moved. So....I'm wondering about buying a new one. Any thoughts ladies???? I'm still trying to figure out the toilet seat as no one has mentioned it to me yet. I'm thinking my dr doesn't do all the hip precautions when performing the anterior approach. I need to call Monday and ask. I am having propofol and a block which means they will give me shots in the hip area to block any feeling. I am deathly afraid of needles so thank goodness for the propofol!!! :bolt::fingersx:

I am supposed to go to a bellydance class today, but I have had a crick in my neck since Wednesday, so I might go get a massage instead. I will shave my legs today and may go for a mani/pedi. My mom and dad are coming into town 10 days after my surgery, so I have to make sure the house is spotless this weekend bc I will be too busy next week before surgery to do anything. I will be cleaning out the frig and freezer and making some meals. I also have to wash sheets and towels as I have to have a new one each night for 2 nights before surgery.

All our bedrooms and baths are upstairs in our house. If I'm to spend time downstairs with my tv that has the dvr and netflix, amazon, etc, then I may need 2 raised toilet seats if I'm required to have them. One for the master bath and one for downstairs. My company won't want to use that though. Hmmmmmm....decisions, decisions. Surgery was not part of the considerations when we bought our new house when me moved here last year. haha I too am scheduled to stay only one night but they said I can stay an additional night if I feel the need. I went out and bought a couple of "sweats" outfits for my hospital stay and for around the house and PT. Then I remembered there may be a drain and I don't remember when that is removed. Soooo many things to think about!!! :sos:

For some reason, I can't get my signature line to work. Every time I try to save it, it tells me that I don't have permission to. Strange...

15. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

@Bellydansr You are sounding ready! I was lucky in that a friend who had back surgery last year lent me her walker. So it is here if I need it. At my pre-op app they didn't mention the toilet seat but I got one anyway. I figured it would make it that much easier even though I don't have some of the precautions that other do. And it was just $40 on amazon. :)

I have heard of a few on here that used the ice machines and really liked it. I have used ice packs for years so I just am going to stick to the ones I had and made a few others so I have plenty. :ice:

16. Bellydansr

Bellydansr Junior Member

@Tweetybrd ...I mentioned the machine to my husband. He said he would just keep making ice packs. HAHA!! I'm figuring if I need a raised toilet seat, he can go get it while I'm in the hospital. I'm just trying to get things ready now. I have a really busy week this week. I'm working for a co-worker tomorrow, so all day work then our The Well Armed Woman meeting at the gun range that I lead tomorrow night. Work and dance class Tuesday. Massage Wed morning and then work. I'm thinking late dinner that night and then early to bed since we need to be up by about 3:30am. :alarm:

Not too nervous yet, but I'm sure I will be!!

17. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

@Bellydansr LOL sounds like he is going to take good care of you. :) You are a busy women this week! I am just doing all my errands today and then taking it easy the rest of the week. Trying to stay away from people. Everyone here seems to be sick!
    I wont have my surgery time until Thursday. So I have no idea when I will need to be to the hospital yet. Since you are up so early I take it your surgery is early. That is good! You will be all done soon!! Hang in there! I will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way on Thurs!! Be sure to make your recovery thread on the other side of the forum on Wed sometime, then you can find it easily to let us know how you are. :)

18. Bellydansr

Bellydansr Junior Member

@Tweetybrd ...Yes, crazy busy, unfortunately!! I don't know why I didn't think to just have someone else do tonight's meeting for me. It is hard for me to delegate. LOL

My surgery is scheduled for 7:30am. I am hoping to be up in my room by noon. All the sudden I have come up with tons of questions and am trying to reach someone for answers. :sos:

Thanks for the positive thoughts!! I will be doing the same for you on Friday!! Hopefully, I will be able to get online and give you a brief update. I will try to remember to do a thread on Wednesday. I hope things are going well with you today!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Bellydansr

Bellydansr Junior Member

@Josephine ...Thank you for this part
    I really need to keep this in mind!! I do tend to feel guilty because I have a month long vacation in June that was scheduled before I ever took this job over a year ago. I let them know about the vacation during my interview but I had no idea I would be having surgery as well. I have to keep telling myself that it is okay that it is "all about me" right now. I know things will work out. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. mlsread

mlsread Member

@bellydancer Good luck. You're almost to the other side. Woohoo

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app