THR RTHR At home and doing well

Hello :wave:
Let us know when you begin transitioning, or once you’ve transitioned and what worked for you. Those following behind may benefit. I wish you the best as you attempt the change. One word of caution, don’t over do it initially as I did in my excitement to ditch the walker (made me feel OLD) I paid the next day, but with rest and ice, I quickly bounced back.
Best Wishes and Happy Wednesday!
@Raftin21
Hi, thanks for reaching out! Things are going good, slow but steady! Funny you mention the walker (totally feel the same!!!). So I tried to switch to the cane yesterday and paid for it last night. Back on the walker today! I just am not sure when to switch... I feel steady on the walker and am not putting hardly any weight on it and don't have a limp, but the cane caused so much pain in my leg... it's almost like the cane was making my gate off! Do some people stay on a walker longer and then just don't use the cane?
I am still resting and icing A LOT. This was some of the best advice. The thing that surprised me is how my emotions have been all over the map. I felt more prepared for the physical piece than the emotional one.
I feel everyday I am getting better and stronger (definitely with still pain/discomfort in surgery leg). I think for me it’s been slower than my expectations and I’ve been working on coming to acceptance of that.
I also have PT this Friday and I’ve been really nervous for several reasons... I have gotten so many suggestions and seen posts about how bad PT is after THR. I also am so afraid to over do it and regress. I did PT after my PRP injections and it was really helpful, so I think it can be good, but a bit worried over here. My plan is to be very clear of where I am at and my concerns. Worse case I go once and don’t go again.
Glad you reached out, I guess there was a lot on my mind that I haven’t even realized! I am so thankful for this forum!

Last edited:
Thank you! We’re happy you joined us here. :)

I’m glad you’re back on the walker until you’re feeling stronger. Maybe you can just try a few short practice sessions each day with the cane, acclimating yourself to the change.
Foolishly I walked circles through my living room and kitchen on my first try and the next day I was like WHAT DID I DO?!!!:censored:

We read of the emotional aspect of recovery here often, just as often as “why am I so tired, will it ever end?” So while the emotional ups and downs are no fun, you’re not alone and it is short lived. Read through the article Post Op Blues from the Recovery Guidelines if you haven’t already.

Regarding PT - Many go through PT sessions, many don’t, or they try it and decide its not for them. Just remeber that it’s not necessary, per the BIG TIP a from the Recovery Guidelines -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

With that said, when you go, don’t do anything you’re uncomfortable with, or anything that causes you pain, just keep in mind it‘s your body and the person pushing you, if they do, is not the one who will suffer any pain or negative effect. I went three times myself, but quickly decided it wasn’t for me. But hey...who knows, you may like and benefit from it, Just take it slow and remember YOU are the boss, not the PT.

Wishing you the best. Please stay in touch and let us know how it’s going for you.
@Raftin21

Hi! Happy Saturday! Went to PT yesterday and it went great! She was very supportive and listened to my concerns. Told me to listen to my body and only do things that don’t cause pain, she the goal is to help me feel better not the opposite.

She also showed me how to properly walk with my cane (my stride was too long and I wasn’t stepping heal first). It was amazing the difference it made.. I can walk without pain and I am completely off the walker! Yay!!! :happydance:

Good news @Raftin21! Glad you got a good PT with the right approach to THR recovery. Happy healing!

Congratulations on the new Hip! I’m paying close attention to this thread as I’m scheduled to have LTHR March 1! I’m glad it seems to be going well for you!!

Hi, one thing is I do have quite a bit of thigh numbness. My Dr said this can happen with the anterior approach. Has anyone else had this and did it go away or do you get used to it?
Thanks!

I do have quite a bit of thigh numbness
Nearly everyone who has anterior approach complains about numbness. In most cases the feeling fades with time. But nerves take quite awhile to heal.

Hi! I made it to 3 weeks! Things are going well. I am still using a cane, but do keep forgetting it! I can walk without it, but my leg gets tired much quicker so I figure might as well keep using it. My thigh is still pretty sore, but is getting better. My OS wants me to go off of NSAID’s for 5 weeks starting today. I am nervous for my other hip that is bone on bone... I think it’s going to be a hard 5 weeks!
Overall really happy where I am at, but working on staying patient as I still have a ways to go!

Happy One Month Anniversary! It seems you’re doing well.
I hope the next five weeks aren’t as painful as your anticipating. Stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.
Wishing you a good week! :flwrysmile:
@Raftin21

Hi! Thank you so much! Things are going really good! I hit some big milestones this weekend... went on a short walk outside and my hip replacement now feels better then my other hip (that one is going to be replaced in May!) Went to a store for short bit and really feel like I turned a big corner at the 4 weeks! I know I still have a ways to go in recovery and I am reminding myself daily that slow and steady wins the race, but things are looking really promising!

I am looking to having both hips done and being without this pain, feeling how bad my left hip is has been a good reminder that this will all be worth it!!:loveshwr:

You will be so happy when both hips are done. Last step on the way to pain free living.

Sounds like you are doing really well. Baby lefty - bad hips can go from tolerable to horrid pretty quickly.

Hi! Couple of questions, when I walk without my cane (doing this small chunks in the day) with full weight bearing, the best way to describe it is like a deep ache/discomfort and feels like it’s in the bone or deep muscles. The more I walk the stronger it gets. It does lessen quite a bit when I use the cane.
Questions:
1. Is this expected/normal at 4 weeks? (I know it’s still early in my recovery)
2. is this my body telling me to stay on the cane longer? Or is it good to try a bit each day?
3. does this go away?

My OS says to get to full weight bearing as soon as tolerable. Just wondering if this is normal/tolerable or is it too soon?

Thanks so much!

Your symptoms are not at all uncommon at 4 weeks @Raftin21. Everybody heals differently and the condition of your hip when it was replaced as well as how long you limped before surgery can make a big difference in recovery. You should definitely continue to use the cane as long as you need it to walk with a normal gait. Concentrate on proper heel-toe walking. Something else to consider is any potential wear pattern in your shoes. Most of us limped for a while before THR and your shoes develop a wear pattern the can cause you issues after THR. I replaced all the shoes I wore regularly and only held on to ones that didn't get as much use (dress shoes for example, I could wear tennis shoes to work).

Thank you! I did get new shoes and a lift since I have a pretty good leg length difference. My gait seems to be really good without the cane, I really concentrate on walking properly and do not currently have limp, but the deep discomfort in my leg I really don’t like, I think I’ll ease up on the cane free walking for now. Thanks again!

:hi: Hi @Raftin

Please don’t underestimate the power of ice, even one month post op, if the pain lingers afterward. Could be some residual inflammation that ice may help reduce.

May I ask who suggested the leg lift? Only wondering because it’s normally recommended
you wait three to four months post op before using a lift in your shoe. Then at that time have a podiatrist or PT measure to confirm LLD. Your surgeon can also confirm using your post op x-ray.

I’m sorry you’re dealing with some pain. I think your choice to use the cane awhile longer is a wise one. Hopefully the pain eases and disappears soon.

Wishing you a peaceful afternoon and evening. :)

@Raftin21 Still early days for you. Don't be pushed into dumping the cane. When you start leaving it behind it's a sign you are weaning off it. Until then, use the cane to make sure you gait is balanced.

Interesting about the heal shoe lift, both my OS and PT recommended it since there is a big difference in leg length. Said it would help till I got my left hip replaced and then they’d be more even, but most the time I am in bare feet at home.

Well, if your OS recommended it, then I guess I’d try it also. I’ll leave an article from the BoneSmart Library in case you haven’t read it.
Barefoot at home...me too! Always. :wink:

@Raftin21

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom