Lounge Doctor

THR RTHR April 13, 2021

Dmcfad2

graduate
Country
United States United States
Well, I spent a lot of time here in 2014 before and after my LTHR. I made a lot of bone smartie friends at the time and this site really helped me with all questions I had. I am finally getting the right one done. I have been unable to walk unassisted since November, when I developed a bad staph infection that spread throughout my body and attacked my right hip, which put me in the hospital for a month. My right hip had already been bad before the infection, but It is really bad now. I have been home for about 2 months. The infection is totally gone, so they are just watching me for three months before they operate. I’m feeling great and can not wait to get a new hip. I am so tired of using a walker. I’m too young for that! I’m sure I will be here a lot as my surgery date gets closer.

Pumpkln

Country
@Dmcfad2,
Welcome back to BoneSmart, Sorry to hear about your staph infection, glad you are going to get that right hip take care of this year.
Keep us posted on how you are doing.

For a reminder of what you might need to prepare for surgery here are the pre op articles, though I imagine with your staph infection you are pretty much set up now.

You are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

OP
OP
Dmcfad2

Dmcfad2

graduate
Country
I have been having terrible nights. Every time I turn over, I get a stabbing pain in my hip that wakes me up and I have to change position a lot because of the pain. I can’t walk without a walker. I am always in pain. I am so ready for surgery! Thinking I have five more weeks of this pain is so depressing. I see my surgeon today for my pre-op appointment and I am going to beg for an earlier surgery date, hoping for a cancellation. I am totally healed from my staph infection. My blood work has been great for several weeks now, so I should be able to proceed with surgery. I will know after I see him today. Wish me luck!

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
Hopefully you will get a cancellation that lets you get in sooner.

OP
OP
Dmcfad2

Dmcfad2

graduate
Country
I saw my surgeon today and asked for an earlier surgery date. Later this afternoon, I took a nap and while I was sleeping, the scheduler called and left a message offering me a date of April 20. I didn’t see the message for a few hours. I tried to call back, but I got voicemail. I left a message saying I absolutely wanted that earlier date and asked her to call me back tomorrow. I’m hoping I hear from her in the morning and that the new date is still available! I’m keeping my fingers crossed!

Eman85

supremo
Country
Congrats on the earlier date. I had the same problem with my right when it got bad. I could not sleep for the pain and if I did get comfortable as soon as I moved I woke from the pain. I found creative use of multiple pillows was a great help. I use pillows to block my leg to a comfortable position and others to stop me from rolling.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I left a message saying I absolutely wanted that earlier date and asked her to call me back tomorrow.
It’s funny how as you get closer to the inevitable thing you dread, you just want it over with. I believe if they would have called me within a week of my surgery to come earlier, I would have jumped at the chance. At that point I honestly think I wanted the anxiety gone more than the pain.

Not long for you now and you seem ready. I don’t know if you’ve ever tried heat ? I can’t say it eliminated the pain in the days leading up to surgery, but I was so over the misery that I’d go to bed early and watch tv with the heating pad. If nothing else, it was comfortIng.
Wishing you comfort as you wait. :)

OP
OP
Dmcfad2

Dmcfad2

graduate
Country
Wow. I just got moved to April 13. @Celle can you change my title to reflect my new date? Thanks.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I've changed your thread title and I will change your surgery date in the April Rainbows surgery team thread as well.

Thank you for letting us know the changed date.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Tomorrow is your big day! Wishing you all the best with your surgery tomorrow. I look forward to following your journey on the healing side. See you there soon! :wave:
@Dmcfad2

Creakygirl51

Country
Good luck with your surgery! I am looking forward to reading how great u are feeling once u have the surgery. Mine is scheduled for April 22. I have 2 have both knees replaced as well, so my journey is going to be a long one. I just want to walk normal again. I am 51 and Physically i feel like a old woman. Good Luck!❤

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Since your surgery is tomorrow, if you have the time, please feel free to start your recovery thread sometime today so it’s up and running when you feel like updating post op. We don’t encourage doing so any earlier than the day before your surgery, and you’re there!
I‘m guessing you’ll get some sweet messages over there also.
Wishing you comfort as you wait.
@Dmcfad2

OP
OP
Dmcfad2

Dmcfad2

graduate
Country
@Creakygirl51 thank you. I understand just wanting to be normal again. I have been unable to walk without a walker since December. Good luck to you!

New

Active Antibacterial
STEPS Challenge

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Miah1996
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom