THR RTHR 19th August 2019

Thank you. Pain a bit more today so maybe I am pushing it a bit. 1500 steps is probably tops for now.
I have been reading lots of recovery stories and it so helpful. Going out for lunch today so that should perk me up! First day home alone tomorrow post op which will be interesting with 4 cats and a litter of 3 10 week old kittens! Have a great day

Hi triple 7 from me, triple 3.
:welome: to the forum.
Congrats on the new hip...sounds odd for me to say as when I got my diagnosis of end stage OA in both hips at age 53 and the recommendation for hip replacement...I was mortified!
These new hips have me feeling decades younger now.
Try to keep your patience muscle toned up, because slow and steady wins this race.
Short walks are all that is needed right now so that the trauma can settle.
My legs were jumpy and didn't like to be still for quite a bit, but things will level off.
All Temporary became my mantra and Layla has a great tip for measuring progress on the weekend vs daily and this recovery business can be an ebb and flow process.
Healing mojo coming your way.:flwrysmile:

Last edited:
Thank you .. I like that mantra! I need to remind myself of that. I admire anyone who has both hips done at the same time, I simply cannot imagine that but so pleased it has been successful for you. When I was in hospital I lost count of the number of nurses/doctors who said ‘wow you are young for this surgery’ ... it really made my question my decision but meeting other younger people on here has made me feel a lot better

When I was in hospital I lost count of the number of nurses/doctors who said ‘wow you are young for this surgery’ ... it really made my question my decision but meeting other younger people on here has made me feel a lot better

It's really rather disheartening when you hear those words. I wish they were advised against that type of talk. It seems we're seeing more and more experiencing THR under the age of sixty. I'm sure in the recent past it was advised people wait additional time, all the while suffering, in an effort to arrive at an age with a better chance the implant could last their lifetime, without requiring revision. Implants and techniques have both improved. Who would have imagined a mere 10 yrs ago that in the near future some could undergo the major surgery of THR, then sleep in their own bed, at home, that very same night. Awesome progress!

May that hip serve you well and last a lifetime!

Hi there. Welcome to recovery. Sounds like you are doing fine and kittens to boot. Keeps one busy. I got words like 'both at the same time' from the nurses like it was a great desire of mine. OA strikes anyone and we didn't ask for it. It doesn't ask what age we are.Wishing you a pain-free recovery.

:wave:@Dolphin777
Hope things are leveling out a bit and you are staying on ice:ice:

Have a restful weekend!

Hello just thought I would update as today is 2 weeks post op and I had my staples removed :happydance:
My scar is long at about 9 inches:yikes: but all looks good and now have steri strips.ill post a picture at some point. Minimal bruising but still swollen which I keep under control by elevating and icing.
I am down to one crutch and walking about a mile a day, sometimes more sometimes less. The nurse seemed to think that was maybe too much but I was a walker before surgery so hope it’s ok. Seeing my physio on weds so will discuss with her.
The time between pain meds is getting longer as I sometimes forget whereas last week I couldn’t wait for the 6 hours to be up! Nights are still not so good as up 2 to 3 times and my leg feels sort of hot and irritated. The socks don’t help! I will be so happy when I can sleep on my side but will not chance it until 6 weeks it as very scared of dislocation.
All in all things are progressing well, I think I was in shock last week and terrified of the recovery process. I have various little aches and niggles and so far a bit hard to trust that the arthritis pain has gone as some of the pains are very similar to what I had before. My main issue was stairs pre op so will try in a week or two to walk up normally.
I have found this forum to be a such a great source of information and comfort so thank you :thankyou:
Ps .. I just discovered the emojis :yes:

Hi there @Dolphin777
What a wonderful update. Lots of progress for sure. Thank you for sharing!
Your progress is inspirational for those following behind to see the possibilities within your timeline. And at only two weeks post op just think of the great strides you'll still make. May it only get better and better.
Enjoy the week! :)

Happy Two Week Anniversary :flwrysmile:

A mile sounds like a lot, but I know that simply getting up to get a drink, use the bathroom, stroll in the house a bit can add up. I would think a mile nonstop would be pushing it, but if you are breaking that mile up into lots of smaller chunks and you aren't especially stiff or in pain, it probably is OK. However, it's important to be sure you are resting/icing primarily, and making certain that you aren't creating extra pain. When I had both my 2 week and 6 week follow ups, I commented on certain little aches and pains, and asked about how much acetaminophen I could take daily. My surgeon said to be sure that my pain was left-over surgical pain, and not pain I was creating by being too active so soon. It was good advice:)

Glad you're up and around--maybe less mileage--but if you are feeling ok why not. Stairs will be ok. I thought it would be a hurtle but it ended up being easy for me--who knew. Can you sleep on your side with a pillow between your legs? Is it contraindicated for you until your next doc visit? Take it easy and pamper yourself. You /we have been through the wringer.

All in all things are progressing well, I think I was in shock last week and terrified of the recovery process. I have various little aches and niggles and so far a bit hard to trust that the arthritis pain has gone as some of the pains are very similar to what I had before. My main issue was stairs pre op so will try in a week or two to walk up normally.

Hello Dolphin777, sounds like you are doing great! I had my THR (anterior) on Aug. 19, too, and also started to question some of the pains I was feeling because they were somewhat similar to what I as feeling before surgery (but not the worst of it). Those little aches come and go and seem to be happening less often lately. But it's scary - until we are down the road a few more weeks, it's hard to know how this is all going to play out. I am currently transitioning from a walker to a cane, and often take a few steps here and there with no aids. I do feel though a kind of pressure and feeling of tightness in my hip ... it feels like my leg is longer and there's not enough room in the hip area for my various parts! Do you have that sensation? It's not really painful, just somewhat uncomfortable and prevents me from walking smoothly and evenly. Other problem is lifting my leg into bed -- they suggested here in these forums to use a sash. Excellent idea and I should have thought of that myself! Definitely helps, but that muscle that lifts the leg up - the psoas - is definitely taking it's time healing. Anyway would love to hear how it actually feels to you to walk!

Thanks so much for your posts. I hope we can all inspire each other to healthy pain-free living with our new hip. I had a TRHR on Aug. 27th and am grateful I had a LTKR in 2011 to learn from. I have experienced nothing but pain for the last 7 years, though Tramadol does seem to help me lots. So what did I learn? My PT experience with the knee surgery back then was extremely aggressive. When my friend came to pick me up after each session, she was horrified that I "was white as a ghost!" My current doc said, "Leslie, we didn't take you into a tiny room to tickle you." This has been major surgery. Let our body do what our they know what to do. HEAL! I'm glad to see that there is a decrease in the dysfunctional not healthy at all "pain is gain" belief. With my hip, I do exercise every day (on my own) at my own pace and pain threshold. If I begin to hurt, I stop! I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks! (I'm a very active and athletic 71 year old). Regarding lifting your leg, yes, definitely hurts and seems impossible. I use my other leg to lift my surgery leg or lift it with hands. That helps quite a bit. Very tiny and unforced heel slides have helped to fire my quads and hamstrings, though I have to be careful because of very painful/deblitating muscle spasms that occur if even I ask the tiniest thing from these muscles. It's important to remember that these muscles have all been severely traumatized. Before your surgery some may have even shut down and now being asked to perform. Which may be the source of your current pain that is still there. I wish you all the best. Blessings and continued healing....

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 9 - I only needed one pain medication last night, really dedicated to wean from narcotics and rely solely on Tylenol for pain management. Getting there...inch by inch, step by step, day by day! I'm also walking, albeit slowly, with no assistance. It's easy to do in my small space. I can see I will have to also stay with crutches when needed. But that's encouraging since I told my clients I would be back to work 10 days after surgery. Guess I will have to reassess my goals. LOL But I'm a goal setter at heart and will continue to set, reassess, and reset as my recovery progresses. Always remembering that we are of the Divine. Our bodies know how to HEAL!

Hello @Marls00 lovely to read your reply. I had posterior surgery.
I went to my physio today and she added some gentle exercises. It was a really uplifting experience because she made me take her hand and walk unaided which I had been scared to do. it was amazing as I did it and she gave me confidence. I was concerned that a had a slight limp but she reassured me that it was just weak gluteal muscles and not any leg length difference. I do feel the same as you Marls00, that there is too much in there to walk properly, it is tight also, however she said it’s just inflammation and totally normal. I explained I felt the muscles suddenly move or pop and again she said normal as it was all bedding in. We then did stairs and she asked me to go up normally, this I could not do Pre surgery. Again I was amazed that I could do it and the only pain was in the weak thigh muscle.But will take this slowly, a few steps each day, going down was harder. I questioned the groin pain and she said that will ease as I get stronger.
I came home so happy and now have the confidence to walk unaided around the house. It does feel strange and lopsided and not quite right but hopefully that will all improve. My scar is super itchy and again that’s a good sign of healing. It’s so strange but just having someone tell me all is ok and I can walk has made all the difference. She said the pain may increase as I work it more and to listen to my body. I can walk as much as I want but will take a cane out with me for a while yet.
At first I couldn’t lift my leg on the bed at all but that is slowly getting easier too. Actually slept for 6 hr straight last night. Still on codeine and paracetamol.
Still 4 more weeks of sleeping on my back :bawl:
I think with anterior you have difference restrictions to me @Marls00?

what exciting news. Yes, it's always helpful to have confirmation of our progress and a head-nod on healing indicators or what's normal, what's not. I had an anterior and yes, the restrictions are not nearly as restrictive as with posterior. We can bend and flex, we just can't go into severe hip/back extension.

We basically have received a "new body." So it will take time to let it do its integration process and for us to get used to how it moves. My right leg had been shorter for all my life, not that I noticed or had painful issues that kept me from sports, but as I got older, that began to show itself up more. Hence the THR. My surgeon told me he added length to my leg. Will that cause my body to have to adapt to this new change by acting out painfully or will it be sooooo very happy? Don't know yet. But I will do my best to listen to its needs and give it my all. All my best. Continued healing for all of us.

I agree. Sleeping on back sucks! I've been doing it for 1-1/2 years. Ready to sleep in my peaceful "baby" position. LOL:heehee:

@Dolphin777 I too had 19 Aug surgery RTHR and I am not doing one foot over the other on stairs yet.. I can but my surgeon says not for four weeks so as not to apply lots of leveraged force to the implant ( it is not cemented)

So you too are joining the " I forget where the cane is "club too!

I am still doing quad sets.. the basic stuff they gave us in the hospital.. I did try one stair and it did not hurt. So I can do it but it won't hurt to wait the two weeks.. doing leg raises in the chair etc.. just to avoid the jellyfish thing.. I walk all over the house now noticing ...dust.. Then to the laundry room to get the rags etc..All our living can be done on one level.. I try to pay attention to walking very slowly heel to toe and engaging the glutes so there is no limp.. It is hard!

Oddly I can go downstairs as a hooman being and dragged the cane behind me yesterday.. I was worried about confidence on that1

Sometimes our head needs to heal too!

@Dolphin777 @mainegirl1
I went into the surgery on Aug 19 a little scared but mostly feeling positive and sure that I would have the easiest of recoveries. Perhaps I needed to tell myself that in order to go through with it. Alas, it hasn't been terrible at all but it also isn't nearly as easy as I expected. Anterior doesn't have any real restrictions. We can even sleep in any position we want but - ha - good luck with that! I have to sleep on my back - any other position is uncomfortable and even painful. Last night I actually turned a teeny bit on my side, like maybe 10 degrees and it was actually more my shoulder and torso that turned, legs not so much. But I was so happy even for that! I use many pillows of all sizes on my bed to support this, prop that -- it's quite a sophisticated system I've set up for myself!

You girls are inspiring me to be a little braver. I have been using the cane since yesterday, but only about 50% of the time - otherwise the walker. I feel more secure with the walker. I am much more cautious than I thought I'd be. Caution is good, but I feel I'm being overly so. Today I did take some steps without any aids and while I'm still limping and a little wobbly, it was easier than I thought it would be. But I retreated back to my cane very quickly. I'm going to give it a little more of a try tomorrow. @Dolphin777 thanks for confirming that you, too, feel a fullness and tightness in the hip while walking- good to know I'm not alone. (I know that but hearing it from others is always re-assuring). I still am having issues with lifting my leg onto the bed. I think that muscle (psoas?) must have suffered the brunt of whatever the heck they did in there. Also I'm pretty sure I aggravated it the first day of PT ... I've been babying it since then and it seems a little less angry.
OK look forward to hearing more stories of progress!

Yayyy! Day 10 and feeling better n better. I went up and down stairs today because I needed some clean clothes! And that's where the laundry is situated...downstairs. I counted that as my exercise time and as the evening progresses, I am feeling the effects (not badly) of the extra stuff I did. @Marls00, to double confirm hip tightness, I am experiencing that too. But there's still plenty of swelling and fullness in the tissues, so that accounts for that. Also like you, I know that I can sleep in whatever position I want, but it hurts like holy gosh, even if I attempt a minimal position change. So on my back I will stay until my body says it's ok to roll over to favorite side, which is naturally my right side (same side as HR).

Good job today! Every day is a day to be grateful for, no matter how big or little the healing changes. Have a great evening all!

@Kona Girl - you sound like a very wise lady and your recovery seems to be going very well. I want so bad to rid myself of my walking aids but I have to respect what my body is telling me and it's telling me: just a little longer, be patient. I am both cautious and anxious to progress quicker ... a weird combo but that's me. I also have my laundry downstairs (basement) but I'm not ready for a full flight of stairs. Besides, my husband is offering to do my laundry so I'm going with that for now!
:yes!:
Happy healing!

Very sweet of you @Marls00! Wisdom is born of experience and the only wisdom I have pertains to my personal experiences with multiple surgeries and two cancers and other life experiences I wouldn't have asked for. I hear lots of Wisdom coming from you as you are listening to your body and not comparing your healing and where you "should" be on the path to others. There's no good/bad timeframe IMO. Keep it up! All my best...:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom