THR RTHR 19th August 2019

Dolphin777

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
hi all
Very new to this so hope I’m posting correctly. I had my surgery on Monday. Posterior Lateral I’m told with a ceramic head.
The whole thing has been quite daunting and hard to adjust to but I’m home from hospital and using crutches well. Fair amount of pain but getting into a regular pattern with pain meds. My question is how do people’s operated legs feel? My feels a bit clunking (physio says that’s normal) but today on occasion my foot feels like it’s walking on a bubble like the floor is moving away from it, anyone else had this. Foot is strong and not painful. Thanks in advance.

clunking as in a heavy weight? "Log leg" is common like we are dragging a not very cooperative piece of wood along.

O please get ice packs on and elevate leg above hip. Get ahead of the pain. One of the forum staff will be along shortly to give you the recovery guidelines. I am sorry you have had any pain at all.

I had my surgery Monday too and am doing well and pretty much pain free.

Hi Dolphin! Yes, I was in a lot of pain to start with. The meds although not very strong (codeine /nefopam) did help though but needed to take regularly. I am walking a lot now and my hip does feel a bit clunky on occasion I am assuming it will sort itself once the muscles tighten up and heal. Not painful at all just aware of it. At your stage I wasnt even really trying to walk except to the loo.

@Dolphin777 :welome: to the forum. You will find a lot of help and comfort here.
What you are feeling is perfectly normal this soon after surgery. You have muscles that are in shock and most likely aren't working too well. the actual replacement will take some time to adjust and to begin moving smoothly, which happens when the muscles relax, heal and then let the joint move easier.
I will leave you some great articles to read, it will answer many of your questions. And of course, we are here to help answer any other questions. You sound like you are doing pretty well, though! It's a scary thing, getting home and coping.
May I have your surgery date to add to your signature? It is so helpful when we come online to answer a question that you may have.. thank you and again, welcome!!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you so much for your replies.my surgery date was 19th August 19. It’s lovely to talk to people who have gone through this. I was terrified of the whole thing and even cried on the way to theatre and several times in the days leading up to it! yes I guess my leg does feel like a heavy log! Then the strange squashy foot feeling. I’m guessing the hip joint it just finding it’s correct poison and bedding in! I’m glad I’m post op but have had several moments thinking what have I done to myself! Today has just been about finding a comfortable position and taking it easy. Sleeping on my back is really hard and I get up every 90 mins for a stretch. I will read all the information thank you it’s great to read positive stories despite difficulties along the way.

Oh absolutely! This forum provides a strong support system for us all.
There are plenty other good reads so we can share more after you digest thus first round. :heehee:
I rented an electric lift chair for the first month- it’s a life saver!! You can find them at a home health supply store and the deliver and set it up for you, too.
Much more comfortable than propping up in bed for those first days/weeks. At least it was for me.

You got this! Just be patient and trust the process- it’s not a linear recovery. Rather a roller coaster!! But do-able!!

Hello, Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery!
You're not alone in your feelings. Many were terrified leading up to their surgery and many cry. If anyone "gets it" we do. But the best thing is surgery is now behind you and it's time to concentrate on healing and getting back to living life without hip pain. Stop by often, we'll be here to offer support and encouragement while you move through recovery.

yes I guess my leg does feel like a heavy log!

Log Leg - your brain is telling your leg to move but the muscles and soft tissue have been so traumatized that there's no reaction. It will ease fairly soon if it hasn't already.

A great weekend to you! :wave:

There are so many unexpected things that happen to our body, and our minds following surgery. While I intellectually was prepared for the surgery, I was not prepared for the myriad of aches and pains that seemed to come and go over the next few weeks/months.

I think it often is hard for people to know what to prepare you for ahead of the surgery as they try to be encouraging, and not every issue or pain happens to everyone. Plus, even as you just pointed out, different people describe similar situations with different terms/adjectives (log leg, clunky leg, bubble leg)so sometimes you just have to experience it, and then later follow up with others (surgeon, BoneSmart members, etc.) to see if others can offer advice/support. That's what I've appreciated most about this forum---the chance to connect with others who understand. I've checked in for advice multiple times over the past year since my surgery, and believe it has helped me successfully navigate this hip replacement. Keep asking, and sharing.:loveshwr:

Thank you for you encouragement. Yesterday was a good day and I walked around the garden twice on the crutches. But then had a truly terrible night. Couldn’t sleep again and then my leg started with what I assume was extreme restless leg. Like multiple electric shocks and twitching uncontrollably. I eventually went downstairs and by 4am it started to ease but I really didn’t know how to deal with it. I do suffer with restless legs anyway and take magnesium but nothing like that experience. I was on gabapentin in hospital but they haven’t sent me home with any. I know this is for nerve pain , I wonder if anyone continued with it when home. I might ring my GP on Monday to get some prescribed.

Yes, I had that, it went away in about 2 weeks. Very scary n painful, was worse when I first got out of bed.

Thank you . I was told to stop magnesium for the week before surgery and have just restarted 2 days ago but at 150mg. I think I’ll up to to 300mg.

I'm sorry you're struggling with the leg cramps, not allowing you to rest comfortably.
I'm sure it's frustrating. Hopefully the Magnesium helps, or your doctor prescribes something to help you find relief. Stay in touch and enjoy the evening....hope it's a peaceful one.
@Dolphin777

I was prescribed 3 and a half days of gabapentin
No idea if it did a thing My surgery the same date as yours. But I have not had restless leg

Hi @Dolphin777 my Dr had me on Gabapentin for the first 3 weeks, maybe 4. Not sure how much it did but I sure didn’t want to stop it and find out!
I’ve noticed several members on here commenting on taking it post op.
Restless legs are so annoying. Even with the gaba. I still battled it but not as badly as you just described.
:flwrysmile:

At my 6 week follow up I asked my doctor about the legs jerking/twitching as I was trying to fall asleep or stay asleep. He said it's very common and typically related to the healing process as things in the leg start to wake up after the trauma of the surgery. He didn't mention taking anything for it, but @Layla suggested magnesium and I began that, along with more frequent epsom salt baths before bed. Probably a combination of time and magnesium, but the restless leg stopped within a couple weeks and hasn't been a problem since. At one year out, I'm still taking the magnesium and have no doubts that it is helping me sleep better, as well as helping reduce inflammation in general. Thanks @Layla, for the great suggestion you made a year ago!:loveshwr:

Hello
Just an update on recovery day 8.
Twitching and nerve shocks has eased a lot since I doubled my magnesium Citrate to 300mg so thanks for that advise.
Sleeping better now, waking every 3/4 hours now to take meds and have a walk about to ease pressure on my back. I found elevating my leg properly in bed to be more comfortable. I am doing about 2000 steps a day on crutches but still on full meds. Hip is stiff and often feel it could cramp but getting stronger. My leg still doesn’t feel mine yet but I know it’s early days. Swelling of knee much better and almost looks normal. I do have a bit of groin ache when exercising it but I hope that is just the muscles starting to wake up. Staples due out on Monday.
It’s been such a help reading everyone’s recovery stories.

Glad to read you’re feeling better @Dolphin777 :flwrysmile:
I’m sure losing those staples will be a relief, too!
Groin pain can be a sign that you’re doing too much. I am wondering about the exercises you’re doing?
Rest, sleep and ice, with short walks will do you the best. At 8 days I know seems like you will be limited forever but you will make progress and be so glad that you proceeded slowly..
You’re on your way in your recovery, congrats!

Nice update! Thankfully the spasms are easing, you're sleeping better and noticing the swelling is dissipating.
It does seem to take awhile before we're no longer keenly aware of our leg/hip. Your gait is changing once again and sleepy or atrophied muscles awakening. It sounds as though you're taking all in stride and not overdoing it. Staples out on Monday, yay! I didn't have staples and I'm thankful. To me, they look like they hurt. Getting them out would be cause for celebration :happydance: :yay: You're doing great...keep it up and let us know how your appt goes on Monday.
A great evening to you!
@Dolphin777

A tough go of it but you will be getting the staples out (I had them too) and it seems that the restless leg syndrome is abating and wow you are doing 2000 steps-way to go.I had tremors for the first few weeks and then they disappeared without doing anything. You are on your way.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts