Rt Shoulder Replacement ... can you believe it!!

Glad you are home, and the shoulder surgery is behind you.
Sending healing thoughts :friends:

It is always a relief to have surgery behind you! I hope your shoulder heals well!

Things are going well..still hunting and pecking with the left hand..lol. I have my post op appointment tomorrow. The pain is very minimum now. The swelling and bruising on the rest of the arm is slowly going away. I was just reading my post op instruction booklet from the Sports Medicine Department. It looks like they are recommending the ice more...recommend 30 minutes of every hour that you are up. A little better :)

Glad things are going well for you, keep up the ice.

Everything went good with the OS. Actually saw both of them (TKR & shoulder). They were both happy. Here is a picture of my reverse shoulder replacement. So far so good :)

peg AP-horz.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Pretty amazing what can be done with current technology.

You have a lot of grit to handle it all.:)

@PegGar16 Just saw what happened and all I can say is bless your heart. I will be following your thread. I have rotator cuff issues and bicep muscle pulled away from a fall last year and was told I will need a reverse shoulder in 5-10 years. Don't really want to do any shoulder repair right now if possible. I have a 14 month old grand daughter that I keep and just 4 weeks post op for hip so don't want to do shoulder. Just hoping I can deal with it til I need replacement. Will be watching to see how things go with you so I have an idea about it. Glad all is going well and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Peggy, you're such a trooper! I'm glad to see the surgery went well.

@mystikfairy61 Hi Donna. I have to admit that not being able to lift my 1 year old grandson has been the worst of it, especially when he doesn't understand why I can't. The surgery wasn't bad at all and the incision is already healed up. Another 2 weeks and I will be able to start working on moving the shoulder.

Hi All! Thought I would check in with an update on the shoulder. I am now 10 weeks post op and ROM is progressing. This week I have started a little resistance and weight at PT. I am still experiencing a bit of pain through the arm. It is not in the shoulder but starts mid humerus and shoots down to my hand. I want to think it is nerve pain because it is not always there. When it hits it hurts. They have me on Gabapentin which I don't think is helping. I see my surgeon on the 21st and will try to get some answers. My son got married last weekend. It was a wonderful time and I got to have my dance with him. Between the leg and the shoulder I was very happy to be able to do that. Now over to the knee thread to update there ..lol

Happy to read you are doing well, and were able to dance with your son at his wedding.

Happy to read that you were able to go to your son's wedding, Peg.
:merry christmas: :santa sleigh: :treestar:

Hello! I have an update on the shoulder and a request for some help. Everything went well with the shoulder recovery. Surgeon was very happy with the ROM and the strength I had with the arm. He left the office telling me to call him if I need him..LOL. I have this pain in that arm that really gets bad at times. Last Saturday I was sweeping the kitchen floor and I tweeked the arm with that motion. My arm gets excruciating pain with movement. I will try to lift my hand but will have to grasp it with the other hand to move it because the pain is radiating down my arm. Is this normal nerve pain? It first started right after surgery. The pain starts mid humerus, between the elbow and the shoulder. Back then just bending over, when it was in the sling, made it hurt. They said it was nerve pain and would go away. This is brutal..it cripples the arm up for days. Any advise??

I hope everyone is well :)

Peg,
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with nerve pain. Have you tried gabapentin (Neurontin)?
Do they know why your nerves have not settled down?

I think I am maxed on the Gabapentin. No one could tell me. Dr said everything would eventually settle down. There is no pain at all in the shoulder...just the arm. This is crazy.

I'm going to tag a couple of our members who have been through this to see if they have any input @susanne @djklaugh

@PegGar16 While I have had some twinging in the area you describe - both arms though right one (first done) now is not having that at all. Left one (done in April of 2017) still gets some pulling/twinging if I over use the arm but again it's not horrible pain. I'm not a medical person so I'd strongly urge you to see the surgeon again because to me this sounds like something other or more than nerve pain.

Although I haven't had my shoulder replaced yet, my pain when I get it is right where you indicate. My surgeon explained that there is one of the biceps muscles that runs through the shoulder area and it can cause this pain. I'll have to defer to our expert, @Josephine, for the definitive answer for you, but I would bet you may still have some swelling in the joint and certain movements may give you this pain for a while until all returns to normal. My surgeon advised that recovery from my shoulder replacement would take a full year just like a knee.

What is your dosing for the Gabapentin? Usually a person can take quite a lot if needed. It may be only needed temporarily until everything settles. Just remember that when you are ready to stop Gabapentin, you need to take a significant amount of time to taper off.

My surgeon explained that there is one of the biceps muscles that runs through the shoulder area and it can cause this pain.
Yes, the reason it's called the BI ceps is because it has two 'bellies' and two 'heads'.

The short head inserts into the coracoid which is a bony process on the scapula (shoulder blade).

The long head of biceps has a long tendinous portion which goes through the shoulder joint and then becomes extra-articular before inserting at the level of the humeral neck.

So you can see that pain in the head of the biceps is not uncommon. I've also had it since my acromioplasties, in both arms but mostly in the right. Best treatment is (was) my chiropractor but he upped and left for home in Oz! (New one's okay but he doesn't do the massage and neuro pressure like the other one did.)

bicep heads2.jpg

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom