THR Rt Hip Direct Lateral Replacement surgery coming up quickly.

Slamjamm

Country
United States United States
I am scheduled for THR on my Right Hip on 4/26. If all goes well , I plan to have the left hip done in August. What is the experience for how long between hip surgeries when doing both hips. My right hip has been bothering me for many years and left hip started hurting the last 6 months. PT has been able to keep me mobile, but pain is getting more consistant. Can't wait to be pain free and get back to walking and bowling.

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
Time between hip surgeries varies. Some have both done at once (bilateral).
I recall a woman a couple years ago having hers done one week apart. Waiting three-six months seems relatively common as does waiting one year in between if you’re not in significant pain or unable to function daily as you need to. Your surgeon should be able to help you in making a decision by taking your health into consideration, your medical history, how bad your other hip is, whether you have help at home and what you’re comfortable with.

I will leave you some pre-op reading material and I’m sure you’ll get feedback from others. Stop back with questions or comments and we’ll be happy to help you when we’re able.
Have a great weekend!

HIP Pre-OP

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

CricketHip

Staff member since June 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hello @Slamjamm and welcome to the forum!

As Layla already said, it's a decision that can vary,, depending on how you handle recovery, what your doctor recommends, etc.
Whatever spacing you choose, you will do well! Then you will be in recovery mode and regaining your freedom to live your life pain free.

If you browse through some of the recovery threads, you will see where many of our bonesmarties have had their joints replaced fairly close together.

Eman85

supremo
Country
At 3 mos my OS wanted to know if he should schedule my second which was his recommended time between. I told him no I wasn't ready. I felt that I was still healing and wanted my first to be stronger. I also wasn't too anxious to go through it again. I understand the reasoning behind bilateral, one and done. I had my second done when it took a real downturn and it all worked out.

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Best Wishes for today!
Please join us on the healing side once you’re resting comfortably and feeling up to it.
We’d love to support you in your recovery and we have some information we can share also that will be beneficial.
Hope to see you there soon!
@Slamjamm

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 2018
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Layla
  • hawk2go
    Staff member since January 2022