BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] RRP's Recovery thread

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by RPP, Apr 3, 2019.

1. RPP

RPP new member

United States United States
    My right hip weirdness started in Nov 2014. The past year is when it became dramatic. I had tried going to an ortho guy a year ago and was met with stony silence as I told him of my quality of life getting smaller and smaller. Most he could say was I can give you a shot - I declined. I thought that since it was diagnosed as "mild arthritis", it needed to be non-mild before I could have something done that was more permanent. But as time went on and I pushed myself despite my hip pain and decreasing range of motion, people I worked with told me that quality of life issues matter also and don't get stuck on the "mild" label. So I go to my primary and ask for a second opinion and I went to a totally different organization. I armed myself with all the facts of what I had been going through and this time I brought along a very dear friend who is a nurse in case I wimped out with the doctor. But this doctor barely let me tell my story because he looked at the x-ray and said meds and PT wasn't going to fix that. I was bone on bone. He said quality of life mattered. :)
    My surgery was 3/18/19. I have been very fortunate throughout my recovery process so far. I qualified for anterior. I had only 1 night stay in the hospital - the hospital staff were great. I stayed with my nurse friend for a week and a half. The first few days I was doing too much so when home PT got to me on day 3, my pain reading was 4-5. I then took an Alleve that day which helped but the home PT person helped me to scale back my expectations. Once I decreased my activity and added icing, that soreness became much less but then there was the swelling. My thigh got really swollen and when I would try to elevate then my foot would get swollen. So I found the info on this site about elevating, I followed those instructions and lo and behold, the swelling got under control. I took myself off the gabapentin cuz all it did was make me woozy and once I could be cleared headed, I got bored and wanted to be amongst my own things so I moved back to my condo. Then stiffness and tightness was my new symptom. With the help of a new home PT watching me walk, it was determined I was still walking like I was before surgery - swinging my leg around. It had become a habit. So I have to be very focused when I walk with my walker and my mantra while I do it is "heel-toe, heel-toe". :walking: I slow down and chant that and now I get stiff in the right places - my groin and inner thigh. Before my outer hip and back were stiffening. So the right muscles are being used. I am now doing cane within the condo and walker outside. My 3rd home PT person has really helped me as to stretches and the exercising of the large muscles as well as balance. And they are helping. I can put my socks on now. I've been able to trim my toenails. Getting into and out of bed is done with ease now. I started driving yesterday. :driver:
    My 2 week appointment with my doc was today and he is thrilled with my recovery. :happydance:

My biggest thing right now is I need to exercise my discipline and patience muscles because even tho I have met some milestones, I'm at the stage where I have to go slow and steady. I would love to walk greater distances or stand longer but my hip can only take so much and I get fatigued. Which is totally normal at this stage from what I have read on this site and from what the PT people tell me. I need to let my body call the shots.

This site has been very helpful even though I haven't posted til now. The leg elevation instructions were invaluable. The warning about PT not being over done is a good caution - my doctor has the same philosophy this site has. He said studies show it can be contraindicated for good hip recovery. And the thread about depression was helpful. I was baffled that I started feeling a little low :umm: the past couple of days and was kind of down on myself because of it because my recovery has been going so well - what did I have to be down about? I now know it is because I'm starting the real work of long term recovery right now and I need to be patient - my life will need to still be small for awhile and I need to keep reminding myself that it is temporary.

So, that is my recovery story .... so far. A work in progress. :tada:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. Congrats on your new hip. Thanks for joining us!

Below you will find the Recovery Guidelines which you already seem to be following somewhat.
    Check out the Activity Progression for THR. You can use it as a rough guideline to keep yourself in check since you mentioned discipline and patience feel in short supply currently.

Stop by often with updates, questions....whatever. We'd love to follow your journey and offer support and encouragement as you continue to heal.

A great rest of the week to you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @RPP

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @RPP
    So glad you have a recovery thread and all sounds very familiar and similar to my recovery.
    One month is prime time for post op blues. See the link Layla left above in the recovery article.
    But you sound like a smart lady who will work this out.
    It's going to be a golden summer and life without hip pain is so Sweet.
    Healing hugs:flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Izabel

Izabel graduate

Portugal Portugal

Wow, you are the same day as me .... and I am impressed with your progress. I am under restriction of 50% weight bearing so have a while to catch up to you.

Take care and keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

What a wonderful report! You are a very wise lady and by following the suggestions, your recovery seems to be moving along so well. Hopefully posting and finding lots of new friends here on BoneSmart, all of whom are in the same boat I guess you could say and if they are not, they have been at some point or soon will be and they are a very understanding and supportive group. I know I often wonder how I might have made it without their help! Sending positive, happy healing wishes your way!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Great to read your progress. You are doing great! I’m a couple days behind you, but much less capable than you are. Well done! The blues hit me hard around day 10. Glad you are here and posting. Hope it’s clear sailing for your recovery. ❤️

• Like Like x 3
  7. Layla

Happy One Month Anniversary!
    Stopping by to say Hi and see how you're doing.
    Please leave us an update next time you're on the forum. We'd love to hear about your progress.
    Wishing you all the best moving forward!
    @RPP

8. Sandy55

Sandy55 new member

Australia Australia
    Hi, I had my op the same day as you and my rec overy is going very well, no walking aids or meds etc but can you tell me how you managed to cut your toenails.........I am desperate to cut mine but still not supposed to go over the 90 degree bend :what:

• Like Like x 1
  9. RPP

RPP new member

@Sandy55 - my hip replacement was done using the anterior method. With that method, there aren't restrictions as to bending over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Layla

:wave: Hi @RPP
    Happy Two Month Anniversary!
    How is your recovery going? We'd love to hear all about the progress you're making.
    Please leave an update next time you're on the forum
    A great weekend to you! :flwrysmile:

11. RPP

RPP new member

@Layla Hi!
    I finished my second week of being back to work. The end of my first week I was sore and not in a muscle way. RICE and an Alleve cleared it up nicely. I'm learning to pay attention to how I use the cane. If I find I'm leaning on it consistently while walking it means I'm doing too much and adjust accordingly. Slow and steady wins the race. Sleeping on my left side still seems to make my right leg ache even though I use the pillow between the legs thing so I’m thinking it has to do with my mattress which is kind of old so might be time to change that out. As to the ache, after I walk for a while it goes away.

At work, I used to have to be picky about what chair I sat in and that was a pain when I would go to meetings and not have control over what kind of chairs are in the meeting room. I no longer have to be concerned with that. When I drop something everyone comes running to try to pick it up and I’m having to tell my coworkers that is no longer a problem, I can bend over without pain in my hip like before the surgery. I love the anterior method for hip replacement.

My fitbit is showing anywhere from 7000 to 9000 steps during this last work week – fitbits aren’t an exact science but it means I’m moving. Depending on how I’m feeling, when I encounter stairs I practice walking up/down in a normal way. Just a few at a time like 5 stairs. It is becoming easier and more fluid in movement but I’m easing into that and don’t want to get too aggressive about it. I’m contemplating going to my condo’s fitness center and see how I do on the recumbent bike. Just for like 5 minutes.

So I’m doing well and reminding myself that it takes time.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Layla

Hi @RPP
    Great update! Thanks for sharing. It seems you're doing well.
    Back at work already and tracking steps. And at only two months post op there's room for lots of improvement.
    So exciting. Yahoo...you're on your way! :yes!:
    @RPP

• Like Like x 1
  13. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    You are really rocking this recovery! I am sure your research and understanding is really paying off. Keep on keeping on! :egypdance:

14. Layla

Hi there :wave:
    Happy Three Month Anniversary!
    Wishing you a great week and continued healing.
    @RPP

• Like Like x 1
  15. Layla

:hi: Happy Four Month Anniversary!
    I hope you're doing well, we'd love to hear about your progress next time you stop by.
    Enjoy the rest of the Summer! :SUNsmile:
    @RPP

• Like Like x 1