TKR Round Two

I am 11 weeks out, and was just wondering if anyone else notices swelling in the morning? I sleep fine, on either side or back, but have noticed my knee is swollen in the morning.

I feel like I'm still fairly weak in the quads as well and I'm 4+ months post-op. I'm looking forward to spring weather (and time) when I can take my road bike out. I supposed I can add some resistance to my recumbent bike now but I'm going to wait as my knees are both still a little sore from putting Christmas decorations away.....

@MARYCOOL, my knee is fine but stiff in the morning. It takes about 10 steps before it loosens up for the day, it's almost like it needs lubrication. If it swells, it's usually in the evening.

Hi, Marycool... I have the same here, when I first get up, my knee is a bit grouchy, but once I am up & moving, it’s better. I usually wake up once during the night, ( particularly since I’m drinking so much water for the antibiotics), and my leg & knee are stiff & hurt some. I figure it’s from being in one position for a long time. Guess it’s a good incentive for us to be up & active.
@SusieQ, I agree, I hadn’t realized just how weak my thighs were til the first time I tried to lower myself into the tub ( just the day before, I’d been celebrating my Dr’s OK to graduate from showers to tub baths) . What a surprise! My therapist has given me some good exercises to help that. Btw, I’m doing well on going downstairs, better each day. It helped to see that you still find that a challenge at times, I don’t worry anymore when that happens. It’s definitely coming along...

I'm still using my cane first thing in the morning and ice. After about 50 steps I'm good to go. It seems anytime I'm active then sit for awhile it's hard to get going again. I ice after exercise, it helps. I'm getting to that point (6 wks) I just want one day where my knee feels normal and I don't have to baby it..

@Starsfan22 You will get there, I find that each week is better! I still will say it feels better than it did before surgery, so I am ahead of the game! I am riding my exercise bike this morning!
:bicycle1:

I agree, I hadn’t realized just how weak my thighs were til the first time I tried to lower myself into the tub
I've found it's harder to get myself OUT of the tub after soaking in the warm water.

After sitting on the couch for awhile, everything takes a bit to get moving again through the stiffness. Once I'm up and moving, all is fine.

Oh my goodness am I sore today! Yesterday we went to get our passports! First we waited at Walgreens for 30 minutes for our photo, walked around the store for a good bit, then off to the Post Office to stand in line for 30 minutes, only to find that hubby's driver license was expired!
I didn't think it would be so hard, but even my year old knee is mad! My new knee, I figured would be sore, but oh my!!!
Live and learn!! However, we go back today after hubby gets his license renewed! Then home to ice and elevate!!
Take care and don't stand in line for long periods of time!!

I'm glad you can rest the knee a bit @MARYCOOL. I still have to remind myself to balance evenly when I have to stand for long periods. I tend to shift my weight to the old TKR which is now my good leg and when I realize what I'm doing I adjust. It will be natural eventually.

By the way, I had a similar thing in 2021, realized my passport would expire in a few months and that my driver's license had already expired. Luckily, I was able to take advantage of several online services since I was traveling anywhere.

Celebrating one year today on my L knee and 3 months on the right!!
Soon, I will be unstoppable
Hubby and I took a little road trip!!

Attachments

• 20220218_124822.jpg
    20220218_124822.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 69
Wow! Congratulations! .I just now realize I am 3 months out from my cleanout surgery, a little over 4 for my TKR. We ate out for the first time since the beginning of the Pandemic yesterday, late breakfast with our kids & grandson , & it was so fun!! Hoping things will settle down here soon on Omicron, & we can do it again. You both look very happy on your trip. . That’s so great.

Wow! That’s exciting! Spring seems just around the corner here, & after trying ( in vain!) to find something in our garden shed, I’m anxious to tackle That job soon! And maybe get some seeds started inside soon. Your golfing is an inspiration

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom