TKR Round Two

Thanks, woke up with a stiff neck and headache, so it might not be happening today..

I went to my first PT!
I have read over and over on this forum how different each knee can be, and boy is that true!
My flex is at 90, whereas round 1 it was 75! And, this one just seems easier!
I have the same PT as last time, he's great, but I did tell him no pushing to pain! He thought i could possible go around on the bike as soon as today..not happening, he told me to set a weight above the knee and push down, not happening...just a few things that set me back last time!
I am doing all of the other exercises though, and it feels good.

Good for you for sticking to what you know is right for your knee.

@MARYCOOL keep up the great work, and saying what you are willing to do. Today I have the 3rd different PT person and she will be told before we start "don't touch me, tell me what you want me to do" this has been working for me = just wish I could sleep on my side though.

@jaspa I'm with you on the side sleeping! I am on my back, with a wedge to prop me up, then there's the CPM and ice machine...soon though, and it will feel amazing!
Also, I did tell PT 2 times per week, and he said Doctor ordered 3, so he scheduled 3..I can cancel one per week though. My PT is really good, and I'm sure there is some push financially to schedule what the surgeon orders...I am old enough to push back!
Keep me posted on how your appointment goes today!!

@MARYCOOL the appointment went ok no pain in fact it seems strange that she is moving my kneecap around and it doesn't hurt but all the PTs there say this is a one year recovery. She was very happy with my ROM at 95 as I only had 90 before surgery and flexion is 0, she even added a weight on my ankle for my leg lifts since they were so easy for me. Hope you are doing well

@jaspa That is great!
At one week, my ROM is 106 and Flex -5!
This morning I made a full rotation on my bike!! I can't even explain how much better knee 2 is coming along!
Happy Thanksgiving!!

That is so uplifting and encouraging to the rest of us facing round 2 xx

Thanks all! Still going well, it will be my 2 week post op tomorrow, and the zip ties will be gone! I have been doing full rotations on my exercise bike since Thanksgiving, so that will make OS and PT happy! This morning I folded laundry!
I have also gone up and down steps daily to be with family!
Progress!!

Two weeks post op! I saw my OS yesterday, and he was very pleased with my progress! The wound is healing nicely and I am still at 106 and -5. He did tell me to "put on the brakes" a bit, as a fall this early on would be bad. Keeping the walker for another week. As he said, "in two months, is it going to matter if you kept the walker a week longer?"
I went to PT this morning, walking very good, and we continued with "gentle" therapy, which I told him is working for me.
Good times! Keep going!!

Mary Cool,
Congrats on your progress. We both had TKR on Nov. 16th. Things are going well for me, so much better than with my first knee. I’m actually able to sleep for a few hours in bed, amazing. Today I walked outside and the Sun in my face was invigorating. Good luck to all. This journey is worth it.,.

As he said, "in two months, is it going to matter if you kept the walker a week longer?"

It's so interesting to me how wildly different advice is from surgeon to surgeon, PT to PT, surgeon to PT, etc. etc.. At my 2 week appt with my surgeon I was encouraged to stop using my crutches as much as possible -- even though my PT 2 days before encouraged me to use them until I could walk with a fairly normal gait. And your surgeon telling you to stick with the walker....I'm continually amazed by how little consistency there is and almost no research has been done for TKR recovery, when there are so many TKRs done each year. Crazy.

I'm glad things are going well for you!

@GiantFinnegan ...he is the best surgeon, only does knees.
It is amazing how they differ. I told my PT what he said, and he is on board with it. I am ready to give it up, but it truly does make my gait smooth. I use my cane at home...baby steps, but progress!

I have noticed a lot of swelling in my quad muscle. My PT used a foam roller to gently massage it. I don't recall this with my last knee..I am elevating and icing, most of the day today, as I was hit with the dreaded energy drain.
Anyone else?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks