TKR Round 2

Best Wishes!

Hi @Rubyroo !
I just had my #2 done about 6 months ago and I learned a lot from #1 that I put to good use this time! And I’m healing waaay faster, relaxing and resting, not pushing, etc! I waited longer than you, but it wasn’t because I wanted to! Life just happened! Welcome back here on Bonesmart!

:wave:@Rubyroo like you I'm just about to start pre-surgery appointments for my right knee, my left was done in 2019, Most likely my surgery will be mid/end November, I'm scheduled to see the surgeon on the 3rd of November, due to Covid regulations they will, do all the tests & scans etc on the same day to avoid me making several trips to the hospital so hopefully I will get my exact date shortly after so we may be 2nd knee buddies.

@Sara61 I remember you from when I was on here in 2019 ☺️!
@BBCG Glad your #2 is coming along better! I pray that’ll be the case for me.

I am not looking forward to the intense pain, anxiety & feelings of helplessness. I know it’s got to be done though.

Hubby & I just got back from a trip to Maine & the last few days I was having extreme difficulty walking. I barely made it through the airport. Made an appointment with my Dr. as soon as I got home!!

HI again, @Rubyroo... You know, in fact, this time I did NOT have the level of anxiety, feelings of helplessness and intensity I did with #1. I think, in part, that was because I realized later, that I was sensitive to the Oxycodone they gave me last time, which I finally got off of, and instead, used the Bonesmart recommendation of Tramadol and Tylenol. That two-drug combo worked amazing wonders for me.

I think the Oxy really did NOT alleviate pain for me, but instead masked it, caused extreme anxiety, sleeplessness and depression. So, once I studied it some, looked deeper into issues others have had with it, and really thought back to my experience, I realized I must be allergic, or sensitive to it or just that it doesn't work and I was simply in awful pain that was unrelenting! I did not hurt nearly as much this time. Simply put, Oxy does not work for everyone, and having lived through it once, I was sure to avoid doing the same thing again! The pain was manageable this time,I took my medications by the clock, at least for the first 3 weeks, then, as I realized I was not needing the go by the clock as much, I'd let an extra 15 go by, 30 minutes, soon, then 45, then an hour. I gradually decreased the dosages and time as I was able, and it was a natural process. I iced a LOT, had the ice machine on 24/7 for the first 2 weeks, just about. Elevated as I knew that really helped. Did not overdo anything, sat and vegged out with my kitty on my lap!

So, you know more of what to expect, AND you can plan better, think things through better now, since you know what you're dealing with better! This time, I had a friend stay with me for 4 days and nights, and really, I didn't need her help, physically, but she helped my husband get set up to do the care once she left. He is now legally blind, and has severe balance issues, but together they figured out how he could fill my ice machine and carry it (using a computer rolling case for wheels!), she helped him figure out some other helpful things so he was safe and I could trust he could do tasks needed. I had a MealTrain a friend set up, and 3x a week, people brought food we could eat! I learned who the inventive cooks are, too, among my friends! I hired a long time colleague who had just retired to do shopping for us, and drive me to PT, etc. for 3 weeks.

So, don't be quite a worried as you might be, as you DO know more going into this now! and you can set yourself up better this time!

Curious about other folks who have had at least one TKR and what pain meds worked for them after surgery. My first TKR I took the Oxycodone & Tramadol along with Tylenol. Too be honest- it seemed like neither the Oxy or Tramadol helped with the pain enough. I am dreading that pain again. Man- it is to the core of your soul pain! For folks who just used the Tramadol without Oxy- did you feel that it was enough for the pain? I know the Doctors say they are concerned about the opiate crisis & addiction & I’ve read Bonesmart’s myths about that- but gosh I wish they could give you something more for the pain. What medicines did you take that worked for you? Could I ask for something as an alternative to Oxy or Tramadol? I had some very uncomfortable anxiety for quite awhile after surgery & would get incredibly anxious before PT.

@Rubyroo I think you are best to discuss medication with your doctor/surgeon as everyone is different and what might work for them might not for you.
Thinking about the post surgery pain is the scary part of already having had a previous replacement, we kinda know what to expect, however in many ways we are now better prepared and can assist our doctor by describing what worked and didn't work before.
But what we do know is, it will get better :yes!:and in a few weeks/months our previous pre-op pain will be a thing of the past, most importantly we must be positive xxx

Wow - that's a good reminder, I too should start getting ready for Christmas as I can't see myself being of much use after the surgery, another preparation to add to my already long list , I think I will also decorate the house in November just in case :wink: :banana-santa:

Last edited:
Out & about doing a few errands today. Went to my favorite used bookstore and picked up 5 books. While I was at the bookstore I had to sit down for a few minutes because I’m just feeling tired & it is uncomfortable walking.

Hit Home Depot & checked out some plants. Wanted to get some pansies, my favorites- because they help give ya a little bit of “happy” during the fall/winter. Usually like to pick out a bunch of different ones & then pot them up in containers on my deck/front porch. But I just grabbed several pots of mixed pansies already together because I just don’t have the energy right now.

Oh well, whatcha gonna do? :unsure:

Getting the pansies pre-planted was an excellent idea. You saved yourself time and energy. I'm all about doing that - pre and post surgery. It seems as though your thinking ahead, which is great. Just don't over do so much you go into surgery totally exhausted.

As for medications that has to be discussed with your surgeon. Each one of us is different and react differently to various medications. Making certain you have ice for your knee is vital. Will you be sent home with an ice machine? If so start freezing small water bottles to 'recycle' throughout the day once your home.

@eaglemom That is a good idea about the water bottles in the ice machine- I need to get my machine out & check what size bottles will fit in there.

Went to a Gem & Mineral Show a couple days ago with my daughter & I knew there’d be a lot of walking & standing and I brought my new collapsible cane with to use. Never used it before but it was definitely helpful .

Counting the days till my surgery! 38 more! The toll limping around is affecting my body. Be glad to get squared away & work on recovery.

Reading other folks posts- both pre-op & recovery & it is such a blessing to have other folks who understand to go through the journey with us.

@Rubyroo just found out today that I'm just a couple of days ahead of you (7/12) so we will be second knee buddies. Now I have the date I'm sure time will fly, at least we will be done n dusted before the holidays with still enough excuses not to tie ourselves to the preparations & cooking etc etc.:heehee:

@Sara61 Glad you now have a date! I fluctuate a range of emotions as I think of the upcoming surgery :bored::what::flabber::yikes::bawl::groan::ice::ice::ice::prayer::yahoo::fingersx::holysheep:. But we want a better quality life once we make it through recovery. I have new granddaughter that is just 2.5 months old and I want to be able to keep up with her & I hope to be more active & hike more.

So, Rubyroo, another medication I experimented with pre-surgery (to test its effectiveness) and to see how well I tolerated it, with my OS’ knowledge, by the way, was a CBD/herbal salve, to apply directly adjacent to the surgery site once the wound had healed, and an Herbal /CBD tincture taken under the tongue whenever I felt my knee getting achey.

I’m in a state where medicinal use of CBD is permitted/regulated, and there is a local fellow who developed these organically grown products and processes them very carefully so the results are very pure. The story is that his dad never used any Western medical medications following his TKR, that he knew how much and what strength worked for quelling his pain. When I mentioned such an idea to my doctor, he glanced toward the door (as if to imply some others might not agree with him), then said he did have patients who relied solely on CBD products for pain relief, and he wished research could be done to help qualify such use, that he suspected many patients would get better relief with less side effects were they to do so.

So, I was able to use the tincture as an adjunct to the Tramadol/Tylenol combination that Bonesmart participants have been told about, but no other medications like Oxycodone, etc. I had a prescription for it that I just never filled.

Using the CBD salve aided the achiness and soreness near to the incision, but I never put it on the incision until after it was completely healed over about 4 weeks out. I used it in places like below and on the outside of my calf, where there is a greater level of numbness, I think I’d call it. i used it there, plus above the incision where there is often the feeling of a tight band above the knee.

By not using the higher-level opioids, I had NO anxiety, NO sleeplessness, NO highly intransigent pain. My overall sense of my level ifpain was far, far less than when I did take the opioids, odd, but true.

The only other thing I used was a magnesium gel, after maybe the first week, when those zingers: the nerve pain radiating down or up from various areas near the incision, occurred. The CBD salve wasn’t very effective for these, but the magnesium gel, something a massage therapist used then gave me a small vial of with my first TKR in 2016, was most helpful in alleviating.

I used the CBD to help take the edge off discomfort as I was decreasing the frequency of taking the Tramadol/Tylenol combo, it helped me both lower quantities of the other as well as extend times between those doses, too. It seemed to have a quality of lowering the overall pain threshold…

But, any rate, I don’t know what state you are in as to if these compounds are legal for medicinal use, or if they are verboten, so please disregard this if they are off-limits to you, of course.

I just wanted to explain that such use is occurring in various locations, that doctors (mine, at least) do know of this use, have discussed it with patients for whom it is being used, support patients’ use and that it can be very helpful used in conjunction, at least, with other medications that are presently being prescribed.

….an Herbal /CBD tincture taken under the tongue whenever I felt my knee getting achey.

I’m in a state where medicinal use of CBD is permitted/regulated…

@BBCG I am also in a state where medicinal CBD is permitted and regulated and I have a medical marijuana card (making some products available that are not for the general public). Can you provide some details of the CBD tincture? What strength worked for you? Was the active ingredient 100% CBD or were there other active ingredients like CBN (or the rest of the alphabet soup, I don’t even know). There is a lot of hype in the industry so it would be really helpful to have a baseline of what to look for.

I've had 4 TKRs. I found that each knee reacted differently as far as pain meds and my response to them. My last TKRwas far less painful to my first one. I knew to take it easy as far as exercising goes and to use ice almost constantly when not moving around. I even used my ice machine during the night. My machine could cycle on and off at set times that I chose. It helped to bring down the swelling and it also decreased pain.

@newlybionic Holy mackerel! 4 TKRs! I can’t even imagine! Reading some of the different posts & replies- you see how much some folks have been through. It’ll make you grateful for your health or current situation. Somebody always has it more difficult than we do.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads