BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Rotator cuff repair Rotator Cuff Shoulder Repair Surgery

Discussion in 'Shoulder surgery recovery area' started by TKRPAIN, Mar 18, 2018.

1. TKRPAIN

TKRPAIN junior member

United States United States
    Hello, I'm on my first day after surgery. The block wore off this morning and the pain has continually been getting worse all day. They prescribed 2mg of Dilauded every 4 hours, 500mg Tylenol and 600mg Motrin every 6 hours. The problem is the meds were not keeping up with the pain. Midday they increased the Dilauded to 4mg then this early evening they increased it to 6mg every 4 hours.

It’s been almost 2 hours since I took the last dose but I am still in so much pain I cannot sleep. It’s currently 1:50 am and I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to go to the hospital ER at this hour because I don’t want to inconvenience my family.

Anything someone can suggest. I already have my recliner chair in my bedroom but it is better than my bed but the pain is still not good.

They did a full rotator cuff repair and attached it to the bone. I also had a tear in my pulley mechanism to my biceps and something else was repaired too. I’m in a sling and cannot move my shoulder.

The other thing making this repair complicated is that the injury happened in November, 2017, but because I had a big trip planned and couldn’t change it, they gave me a shot of Cortisone and yesterday was the surgery.

What can I do about the pain? It is so bad like a 10.

Thank you,
    Gary

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @TKRPAIN I know you don't want to inconvenience your family but I a afraid you really have no choice. I would suggest going to ER to get your meds sorted. Get this pain managed early so that you avoid getting into a chronic situation.

Have you tried icing your shoulder?

3. TKRPAIN

TKRPAIN junior member

Hi, I have been icing it. I actually get more pain when I do ice it but I know how important it is to ice so I am doing it 20 min on 20 min off.

I’ll probably go to ER in the later morning. I’m just hoping that I didn’t break the tendon loose from the bone. The 4 exercises I don’t think are making it hurt. My doctor said it would be a painful recovery but I didn’t think it would be this bad.

So far, it’s 6:28 am and I have not had a wink of sleep.

4. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I'm going to tag our medical expert @Josephine and see if she has any advice. Hang in there!

5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

I'll bet they are! This is one case where doctors absolutely tell the truth! But at 25 weeks I really would have expected things to be settling down.

Have you tried using a TENS machine? I used it a lot for my shoulders.

6. TKRPAIN

TKRPAIN junior member

Hi Josephine,

This isn’t about my knee, it’s about my shoulder surgery I had 2 days ago. Can you please read my threads on this and let me know what you think?

Thank you,

Gary

7. copsham

copsham post-grad

Dear Gary
    All I can offer is empathy! I have done something to my shoulder - no medical investigation yet. It is so painful. I think more painful than my hip replacement ever was. So thinking of you and hope something gets sorted out for you.

8. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hey Gary. I've had rotator cuff surgery along with 3 tendons stapled back to the bone. I was not to move anything but my fingers. Do you have the pillow sling? I had to wear mine for 8 weeks, then the regular sling for another 4 weeks. I didn't start any PT until after a month. I went for only 3 visits then did it on my own. I have full ROM.

Icing for 20 minutes isn't near long enough. I iced constantly as long as I was sitting or laying down. Icing longer than you are will allow the joint to get numb. Doing this will cut way down on your pain.

I found that sleeping in the recliner was much more comfortable, especially with the pillow sling. But, sleep was very sporadic. Sleep whenever and wherever you can. When you're sleeping you're healing more.