Rotator Cuff Repair Rotator Cuff Repair & Biceps Release

Just started reading your journey w shoulder surgery, I’ve been babying the left one which is worst but sometimes forget and reach outwardly and back to grab something and am acutely aware there is still something very wrong. I’m scheduled for chest X-ray Friday after thanksgiving to make sure all pacemaker leads still in place and the mri scheduled for following Monday. Will finish reading about your journey and write more after my MRI is done!

Marieltha, you're doing really well. Sounds like you're almost back to normal again.

Thanks, @Jamie I am showing steady progress.
OS says I can start strengthening my deltoids now. Yes, I had to ask where exactly those are. He assigned several exercises, to be done 2x week, first freehand; then when I can do those easily, with a resistance band; then, when ready, with 1lb hand weights. These are in addition to the previous 2-3x daily stretching and 2x weekly strengthening exercises.

@knee#2 it will be interesting to learn what exercises you are assigned.

I have little or no shoulder pain, but I take celebrex and extended release Tylenol for the foot and knee arthritis pain, so no doubt that helps.

@Allrosey I thought of you because he emphasized keeping the arm at waist or chest height when doing these, not higher or overhead. He said the higher/ overhead will come later. I can lift it straight up now, but he discouraged doing it.

Sounds good. Just don't try to rush when you start the strengthening exercises.

Very good advice, @Jamie
He did underscore the max of 2x a week, and to progress only when it felt completely easy to do.
Because I do deep water walking in a pool every other day, I’m already doing water resistance without really intending to. He talked with me more about what to do with the arms in the pool.
I am also now carefully doing more with the arm in daily living. My husband had noticed me seeming to avoid using it, and asked me if it hurt. I think I was not using it, but without realizing it. I think I was and am afraid of damaging it. Also, I have gotten very good at using my left arm and hand, and don’t want to lose that. Anyway, the OS said all that was normal—better than too much too soon—and to begin the deltoid exercises. He wants me back in a month to check on my progress (and the right knee).
Thanks again.

I'm heading towards the same surgery you had - just waiting for it to be scheduled. The rotator cuff tear isn't 100% but its 1.5 cm full tear. I'll definitely be reading through your thread for ideas on coping and what to expect!

@marieltha - no - I started my recovery thread early so I could do a long preop prep article while I could still type easily. Surgery is this Thursday 3/19 (if I haven't jinxed myself).

Hi
I'm knew to this forum but really need some advice. I'm due a rotator cuff tear and I'm justcso down with the aching pain. My was on the 23rd March but just been cancelled till the 30th March I know its only a week but I'm at my wits end and my pain meds tramadol have horrible side effects. I've bought a wedge pillow to help but I'm still struggling and information on how I can help myself through this pain
Thanks
Christine

Oh, @Chris06
I know that pain and that feeling, so I sympathize and empathize.
I don't react well to Rx pain medications, and it sounds like you don't either.
Have you gotten your shoulder sling yet? My OS sold me one ($10 ) so I could get used to it before the surgery. I found it helped both before and after with that excruciating pain I had, especially sleeping. And I had a cryo cuff ice shoulder wrap that fit over the sling. Icing it helped me numb the pain. I lived in that before and after the repair.
The nurse in the hospital put a small folded towel under my elbow and that helped me, too. Sometimes I used a pillow under it.
After the surgery the home nurse put a trifold soft gauze rectangle under my arm, which kept it away from my side a bit and that helped. She had boxes of them delivered to me. I used a wash cloth or a thin hand towel, I think, before the surgery.
If I think of anything else, I'll write again.
I'm still quite happy with my repair: Hail Marys and knock on wood, but I have no pain and great range of motion for normal living. So keep looking forward to your future.
PS Having 2 slings allowed me to wash one while wearing the other. The hospital sent me home with my second, but the one the dr gave me was more comfortable.

@marieltha - I was so happy to see your name pop up and even happier you're doing well! It's hard to believe it's been almost 2 years since my surgery (and coming up on 3 years since yours). I truly appreciate your encouragement before and after my surgery.

I haven't visited here for awhile, came back to check on a couple of folks I found myself thinking of, and thought I should add a note to my own thread, as well.
Last year, I had foot tendon repair surgery: Tibial Tendon Repair, Right foot, July 26, 2021, and that was more difficult than the knees or shoulder because of the long period of non-weightbearing required. It healed well, but I'm continuing to rebuild both stamina and strength in that foot and leg.
This year, 2022, I'm enjoying not having ANY surgeries (knocking on wood, fingers crossed, & saying Hail Mary's) and focused on not getting Covid, so am masked and avoid people indoors and am quite happy to continue doing both; my husband and I have not had it either, nor do we want to. Ditto on the knock on wood, fingers crossed, and Hail Mary's.
My knees and shoulder feel fine. No pain. I no longer need the Noodle on the left foot. The left foot PTT is still torn and still slightly attached, but I wear NB1540v3 motion control shoes with custom orthotics, do the exercises in the Foot Fix book, seldom have pain, except occasional bunion issues, and so have put any thought of foot surgeries on hold.
I am still walking most days, both on land, and in the pool.
Glad Bonesmarties are still here.

@marieltha - so good to hear from you! Not being weight bearing had to have been tough. No more surgeries has been my New Year's resolution the last few years (last was my rotator cuff in 2020). I contact my PT every once in a while so that he doesnt get too lonely without me :heehee:

Hi! Just visiting and of course, thought I'd check on you. Hope you're well. I'm fine. I agree with you that a period free of surgeries has become an annual goal/resolution of mine, too. My last was the foot tendon repair in 2021. I see my OS every 6 months now, to follow up on the feet, knees, and shoulder, and the arthritis in my lower spine. I remember being excited that I could go 6 weeks without a visit, so 6 months seems heavenly!
Keep in touch!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks