BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Rotator Cuff Repair — a revision

Discussion in 'Shoulder surgery pre-op area' started by bethsail, May 12, 2019.

1. bethsail

bethsail junior member

United States United States
    Ten years ago I tore my rotator cuff while skiing. Had a large supraspinatis, supralabral and anterior larbral tear. Surgery and four months of rehab and I was good as new. Fast forward ten years and two knee replacements I’m the last 18 months which took a toll on my shoulder pushing me up and down during rehab and before. Overuse sailing and golfing didn’t help. MRI shows complete super spins ‘‘tis tear with 3.5 cm retraction, torn sub scap and biceps. Had a final acute injury last week on the boat and now I can’t move it actively at all. Scheduled surgery on the 21st. Good news is doc doesn’t see much arthritis .....

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2019
  2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@bethsail
    Sorry to hear you are needed a revision of your rotator cuff repair, glad there is no arthritis.
    Glad your surgery is coming up soon!

3. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Boy, your shoulder has had a time of it. But it's great there is no arthritis. However, it does sound like you're in for another round of surgery and recovery with all those tears. Best of luck to you and let us know how you're doing.

4. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

We’ll be thinking of you!

5. bethsail

bethsail junior member

Thank you! As I start practicing being one armed, I’m realizing how limiting the sling is going to be. I know the pain is equivalent to a knee replacement. I rehabbed without a sling before so this is going to be a different recovery.
    . I’ve realized I can’t tie shoes,prepare food. Use scissors, open a can, put on a bra....
    So any hints or best practices for ha sling activities of daily living. I’m all ears. Surgery is Wednesday. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

You should be able to use your surgery hand to grasp things to steady them even with the sling and that really, really helps. I think you are correct that rotator cuff surgery may be more painful to recover from than what our shoulder replacement patients (me included) have experienced.

I purchased a battery powered can opener from Amazon and I LOVE it!
    upload_2019-5-18_23-20-12.png

You'll be more comfortable just forgetting about the bra for a while and wearing very loose clothing. Purchase some men's t-shirts that are 2 sizes too big for you. Also, it will be tough to pull shorts or pants up and down, so also buy some elastic waist clothing that is 1 size too big. Yes, these clothes will hang on you, but they will be so much easier to get on and off.

Be sure you have slip on shoes. I wore Sketchers and Crocs. You can also get elastic shoe laces for your tie shoes if you prefer. You'll probably need a long handled shoe horn. They are inexpensive on Amazon.

Put up meals in the freezer that you can just nuke. Or purchase frozen meals. Give yourself plenty of protein both before and after surgery. You can eat good quality protein rich foods but I'd also suggest supplementing with Ensure or Glucerna high protein drinks. All that protein helps with healing.

Plan for how you'll get groceries if you are not allowed to drive for 6 weeks. In many cities now you can order online and sometimes even have them delivered. Plan for what you'll do with any pets you have. I boarded my dog for 3 weeks and was glad I did. I have to take her out on the leash and that would have been very difficult right after surgery. Plus, I just needed to focus on myself and healing.

Look into Home Health. Someone comes every couple of days (nurse, occupational therapist, physical therapist or bath aid) and they are very helpful for doing little chores if you live alone (like changing the paper towel roll or changing sheets on the bed).

7. winemama

winemama junior member

Had 2 cuff repairs one in 2016 one in 2017. I started working with 1 arm 2 weeks before surgery. It is the small things like what side the toilet paper is one. Your recliner ( which if you are smart you will sleep in for 6-8 weeks) the handle or buttons are on. Buy a bunch of big shirts, as you will be wearing your sling 6-8 weeks. I found having someone helping was a must taking a shower, you can’t move your arm. My opinion TKR is more painful then cuff. Good luck